College Which Schools Give Scholarships For Cheering In College?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 4, 2015
I'm a junior in High school and I've been looking into college cheer so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not many schools give money for cheerleading, though some give a little bit to cover books. If you do allstar there's a USASF scholarship you could look into, or see if your state offers any (if you cheer for your school). My state organization offers six $1000 and eight $500 scholarships, doesn't seem like much but it's something and all I had to do was get letters of rec and write one page about what cheerleading means to me. They might have something similar where you are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a junior in High school and I've been looking into college cheer so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do not pick your college based on cheer. Education first. Cheer second. Scholarships for cheer are unicorns. You might get some books at best. My daughter cheers for a division 1 school and actually PAID the school $450 or was required to obtain "sponsors" from local businesses for the athletic program. She has received shoes, bodysuits, bows, backpack and a couple tshirts and shorts. So basically a wash with what she has paid.
She gets the benefit of being able to schedule classes early in the athlete classification over the rest of the student body. That's about the only perk.
Good luck in your search.

My daughter cheers Division 1. The cheer teams fall under the Athletics program (I think one of just a handful of schools where it is under athletics). They have their own trainers, can eat during athletic meal times, get first pass at scheduling. They receive bookbags, shirts, shorts, shoes, bows, and crops from the school. Uniforms and wind suits are property of the University. I have not had to pay for these items. There is an endowment fund that was set up that members of the squad can apply to receive funds from and the monies given range in amount and are based on many factors-not just your ability to cheer. She picked the school for academics first and cheer second. She went into this sport, knowing it would not provide her money for her education.

Last edited:
I never knew that athletes sometimes get priority with scheduling, That is a great perk!

My daughter cheers at Purdue (all girl).
At Purdue the cheer team is part of the athletic department. They have their own conditioning coach, trainers, laundry service (practice wear/uniforms only), academic advisers and have priority scheduling. They receive a per diem if traveling for cheer.
I don't pay for anything other than makeup. School provides everything else (uniforms, warm ups, shoes, backpack, duffel, practice wear, bows, poms etc). Uniforms/warmups/rolling duffels are returned to the school and everything else they keep.
She picked her school on academics first, cheer second.

Last edited:
There are,I believe, some state schools that will give some of their out of state cheerleaders,in state tuition.
I know Mizzou helps athletes do this but only after 1 year and the student needs to actually become a resident of Missouri.

**You better sleep with 1 eye open or you won't see it coming #CheerMafia**

Davenport University (2013&2014 NCA National Champs) gives you a small scholarship after your first year I think, something like that at least lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! I coach at Gannon University, which is a Division II school located in Erie, PA. We are considered a varsity sport here, so we offer partial athletic scholarships and enjoy some other perks as student-athletes as well.

I agree with all of the previous posters that it's really important to find a school that is a good academic fit for you. I encourage all of our recruits to make sure wherever they end up is a fit for them academically, athletically, and socially. From my experience, all three are really important to being happy where you are - and if you search hard enough, I'm sure you will find a school that's perfect for you.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're interested in learning more about Gannon - or just cheering in college in general - I'd be happy to talk further with you! Feel free to email me at [email protected]. Good luck with your college search!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I regret not mentioning earlier that I am looking into colleges that are academically strong and offer cheerleading. I have a 4.0 and my SAT/ACT scores are on the 96th percentile nation wide. However I don't want to attend an Ivy or school known just for its brains. I would like to go to any school that is ranked in the top 100 :)

Back