Whipping In My Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
So I'm naturally a nervous tumbler, due to the fact that I started cheer later than most. I'm on a level 3 team again this year, and one of the only few with our a round off handspring tuck. I can do it fine, I'm totally capable. But when it comes time to do it with a light spot or no spot, as a nervous habit I whip it over super fast, an there's no set at all. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks!

So I'm naturally a nervous tumbler, due to the fact that I started cheer later than most. I'm on a level 3 team again this year, and one of the only few with our a round off handspring tuck. I can do it fine, I'm totally capable. But when it comes time to do it with a light spot or no spot, as a nervous habit I whip it over super fast, an there's no set at all. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks!
The thing that helped me with this is Imagine only doing round bhs rebound and at the last second tuck. I can be a weird concept to understand so get a spot for the first time. Just think stand up for the rebound and tuck.

I've seen it as either whipping your head back or shoulders back. For head: get a foam block from the pit and hold it under your chin (like between your chin and chest-sorry its kind of hard to explain haha) and then do your RO BHS tuck. You should be able to keep it held there if your head is neutral. If you are driving your shoulders back imagine you're flipping over a high jump bar. You have to go up first before you can go back or you'll knock down the bar. Pick something on the wall to spot and think of it as RO, BHS, rebound, spot your item, then tuck. Good luck!!

Before you start your pass, look for something up high on the wall behind you.. a banner, a trophy, where the wall meets the ceiling, something like that, and then, after your back handsrping, rebound high and do not tuck until your eyes see the spot you picked out. This will help you lift and keep you from throwing your head back.

Back