Whips And Set

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Allstarmom2002

Cheer Parent
Jan 30, 2012
Good morning! I am in need of some advice as it relates to working whips. My daughter has always had a gorgeous set in her tuck and her layout. She began working whips, probably been working them 2 months and is throwing them thru to a double BHS hasn’t added the tuck or layout yet. But, what I’ve noticed is that her gorgeous set is not so gorgeous now. I’m wondering if working the whip so much is to blame for her set going a little backwards now.

My question is, is it better to lay off the whips so we can focus more on getting that nice high set back so she transitions into fulls better and then work the whip? Or, since she’s made so much progress on the whip, to continue working that and the set simultaneously? Coach thinks getting set back and then working fulls before whips is better but I’m of the mindset that all L4 skills should come before working L5 skills….HELP!

If she has a well executed high layout with good technique, starting to work fulls isn't necessarily out of the order of progression. I guess it depends on what "working fulls" means to that coach. Is it starting twisting drills or is it chucking fulls on the floor with a spot?

Well she had a really high layout with perfect technique prior to working whips...now her set is super low not what it was at the beginning of the season for sure. So her coach wants to go back to tucks/layouts, get the set back where it needs to be and then transition into fulls...no more whips. But...she's come so far on whips that I hate to have her stop but if it's possible that it's whats messing up her set then maybe we should do that route?!?

Omg I'm in a similar situation although ours is a little different but with my cp with the whip changing things! I felt like the whip and layout have some similarities so that's why it happens.

My daughter got her whip bhs tuck/layout and it never changed her set on her tuck or layout. So great!

Then she started working on whip punch layouts (no BHS) and they were good at first then I noticed after like a month or 2 her whips got uglier and her layout started looking more whipped.
I couldn't take it .. I want to see a whip layout .. Not a whip whip or two piked looking layouts so I told her to not work that again.

She is allowed to do whip BHS layout but I don't want her doing them the way she was. It instantly solved the problem when she stopped and you can clearly distinguish them. It didn't change her set and she can full now. I'm just scared to let her do them again because I feel like it messes with her mind. I honestly think a whip punch full would be easier for her than the whip layout because it's like two different things to her although a full is a layout.

Back