Who Is Tired Of Flyers Getting All The Credit For Amazing Stunts?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm a flyer and i respect my bases and backspot more than anything and trust them with all my heart. They are amazing and i wouldnt be up in the air without them. I do agree that they should get more credit because what they do is equally important as what a flyer does. But i do think some of these comments are a bit rude to flyers because flyers are also equally important and there also would be no stunt without a flyer? I think bases flyers and backspots should all get equal credit for stunts, they are all very important positions.

I used to be a flyer and I always thanked my bases and gave them all the credit. My flyer does the same for me now. I understand that a lot of the time coaches focus on the flyer but that also means the flyer also gets blamed 99% of the time. Or in my case that's how it is at least

I it so much when bad flyers get all the credit for staying in the air when it was clearly the BACK SPOT holding them up there!
My favorite experience last year was when a mom came to me and said - the only reason my daughter (the flyer) stays in that stunt is because your daughter pushes her tush and holds it up there. She then told her daughter that she ought to be thanking mine for keeping her up. I said thanks (because she certainly did not need to do that - but it really made my CP feel appreciated that her hard work was noticed by people watching as well)
Our coaches do a stellar job of noting when stunts fall that there is mixed responsibility or in some cases specific responsibility and they really try to point out how hard and well the bases and spots work , too. It really makes the team feel like they are all appreciated.

I tell my CP at least once a week to make sure and say thank you to her bases! I have never been in cheer so I rarely give "cheer advice" but I try to instill in her that she's just as responsible at keeping that stunt in the air as her bases are! She knows they're the reason her little booty is up there ;)

I honestly never thought that much about it and I've always been a back spot. When I first started cheerleading as a little girl the first thing my mom told me was it is your job to make sure the flyer doesn't fall, if she falls she can get seriously injured, you have to protect her.
And ever since then, I took my job very seriously. If my flyer went down, so did I that's all there is to it.
I know initially people's eyes go to the flyer, and when photographs are taken they are of the flyer...but I am the one holding them up. They wouldn't flying in the air without me.
I was lucky enough through all of high school with the same amazing stunt group that worked so well together. Starting our freshman year the four of us were always together and my flyer appreciated us and we appreciated her and that's why our stunt always hit and worked well, and that's why the coach's always praised ALL of us. The four of us built trust in eachother and it worked.

My advice to back spotters and bases who may get frustrated or disappointed at times for not always getting credit where it is deserved is to first gain trust with your flyer and stunt group...that is honestly the most important thing. You all have to trust that you can protect each other from getting hurt. Then just know that your flyer wouldn't be up there with out you. Doesn't matter if no one wants to give you credit for it....they wouldn't be up in the sky if you weren't down on the ground!

I have to agree with that my daughter was the main base when she was in comp. cheerleading (Legend All Stars Miami, FL best coaches and team ever) while she loved what she did she was also the one that would never let her flyer hit the ground. In 9 years of cheering she was always on the advanced team, she had more injuries then the damn flyer.. Why because the flyer didnt tuck her arms in or didnt rotate, or her flyer was very lose and didnt hold her weight up. Left it up to her bases.... She has her 4 front teeth knocked in because of a flyer not doing her job. Then 1 year later she needed emergency oral surgery all 4 teeth needed root canals and caps. Cost me a ton of money and her alot of pain all becasue of her flyer... So flyers do your job to make it easier for the bases. Without them you wouldnt be anything.. There is no "I" in team!!!!

While I agree that bases do a lot of work in the stunt, I don't like how flyers are considered the "pretty faces" of a stunt. They work hard, just as hard as bases, but on a different level. Flying takes a lot of mental and body control. It's not as easy as just standing up. Recently, it seems like people are so hung up on appreciating the bases, that they forget to give the flyer credit. Flyers should thank their bases for putting them up and for never letting them touch the floor. Bases, thank your flyer for staying tight, keeping her elbows in, and not bailing. Respect each other and don't take one another for granted. That's how you make a fantastic stunt group.

So while watching cheer extreme in Indy I was amazed by their ball up 360 tick tock stunt (as usual), but my girls and i were thinking: why do flyers get all the credit for such amazing stunts? Everyone wanted to get a picture with Maddie. She does a great job with her stunts, but theres no flyer without a base! We wanted to figure out who her bases were so we could get pictures with them. Flyers are the pretty face of stunts but theyre not the only member of the group! What does everyone else think?
Agreed!!

I agree with you oh0zone as I said there is no "I" in any stunt team or cheer squad. My daughter was a base but it took all of the girls to work together in order to get the flyer up. I was just telling everyone our experience with the flyer not doing her job which resulted in a bad injury for my daughter. Well said seems like you are a real team player. Keep up the good work.

Julie

My favorite experience last year was when a mom came to me and said - the only reason my daughter (the flyer) stays in that stunt is because your daughter pushes her tush and holds it up there. She then told her daughter that she ought to be thanking mine for keeping her up. I said thanks (because she certainly did not need to do that - but it really made my CP feel appreciated that her hard work was noticed by people watching as well)
Our coaches do a stellar job of noting when stunts fall that there is mixed responsibility or in some cases specific responsibility and they really try to point out how hard and well the bases and spots work , too. It really makes the team feel like they are all appreciated.
Agreed. It always makes my CPs feel good when flyers and their parents argue (playfully) over who gets my CPs under them :) it also makes my son feel good when there are certain flyers that will only coed stunt with the coaches....or him :)

I think it kind of sucks being a base because the flyers actually do get credit for the stunt. And to those people that say well when a flyer falls its always their name that is used, but if its the bases fault, they get called out. Do you hear of any cheerlebrities because they can base? no. you have maddie gardner, erica englebert, cami branson, jamie andries... etc. and i can go on, but they are all flyers.And maddie gardner got credit for the amazing stunt she performed at worlds, and while i know that it takes body conrtol and skill, it is also a very hard stunt to base. So I want to give credit to all the bases and backspots out there for keeping your flyer up there<3

Back