All-Star Why Am I A Back Spot?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2013
So this year I'm some form of base/back spot unfortunately noone except the little kids (8 year olds) get to fly so it's my sister who's about 4"9 and this other girl who is about 5"1-5"2 and me who is 5"0 I don't get why I'm a back spot when I'm shorter than her? I guess I'm more caring about this since I really would rather base than back spot so if anyone could guess why that's be great!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I have seen a good back spot save many a stunt - especially with a mini age flyer who may not have developed the needed core strength yet to really help keep her balance (I am not saying there are not fierce mini flyers but I have seen with this age in particular back spots can be the saving grace of a stunt group) So you could very well be there because you are strong. Plus this early on - goodness knows our coaches try lots of combinations. Every job is important - try to challenge yourself to take this as an opportunity to really develop this skill. The more positions you learn the more versatile you will be and this will help later on.

Obviously none of us know why you were placed as a back other than your coach, but I'd consider it a great thing! Backs are usually the leader of the group and can really make or break a stunt. It's their job to catch the flyer's head if something goes wrong, they can see what adjustments need to be made, and in my opinion do the most work in the group. Your stunt can only be as high as the shortest base, so you shouldn't have a problem reaching the stunt. My guesses as to why your coach placed you as a back- for your strength, your leadership, or your maturity. Trust in your coaches and know they are putting groups together to be the most successful they can be. Good luck this season!

The Fierce Board App!

I never understand why people are always feeling insultet when they are a backspot.
cheerleading is a teamsport and every spot is important and cant be missed.
in fact, if there would be One the most important, it's the backspot. your stuntgroup is like a ship and you're the captain, you've got the control and decide weither it's going to sick or not.
as a backspot you have the best view: you see what your flyer and bases are doing and got the responsibility to make it work.

height is not the most important thing as a flyer. I got flyers that are a whole lot bigger as their bases and backspot. But it's their ability to stay superthight and she's very flexible too, so that makes her the best flyer i could wish for.
Though maybe that's not the reason, but your coach thinks you are a good leader, who has a great focus and is very responsible.
maybe talk with your coach and he'll be able to explain you why you became a backspot.

I never understand why people are always feeling insultet when they are a backspot.
in fact, if there would be One the most important, it's the backspot. your stuntgroup is like a ship and you're the captain, you've got the control and decide weither it's going to sick or not.
as a backspot you have the best view: you see what your flyer and bases are doing and got the responsibility to make it work.

height is not the most important thing as a flyer. I got flyers that are a whole lot bigger as their bases and backspot. But it's their ability to stay superthight and she's very flexible too, so that makes her the best flyer i could wish for.
Though maybe that's not the reason, but your coach thinks you are a good leader, who has a great focus and is very responsible.
maybe talk with your coach and he'll be able to explain you why you became a backspot.
My CP is a backspot on both her High School and All Star teams and it is what she likes to do best. She does switch to main base on occassion, but back spotting is what she likes best and is most confident in doing, and believe me she has saved many a stunt from falling.

thoughout my 5/6 years cheering i was always moved around, i did (minimal) flying, i was a base, a front, and a back. and more times then not my height had nothing to do with it. coaches like athletes that are adaptable. for example my last season cheering i did not match up with any of the girls i was taller, shorter, had arms that didnt match up with anybody in extension. as a backspot i found other ways to assist the stunt, arms on the bases wrists to help push up more so they could get proper grip. when i was main base i actually use to hog the stunt and bring it overtop of me all the time as result of backing for too long this was in an attempt to control the other bases and steady the stunt and it worked.

essentially what i am getting at is if you are a backspot it is because your coaches see an ability in you to catch your flyers and never let them fall. it means that they trust YOU to save the stunt should something go wrong. by you accepting the role as a backspot you are showing your coaches that you are versatile and can be worked around in multiple positions and your coaches will adore you for it. by the coaches being able to shuffle you around it makes for a much, much easier time creating routines especially if there are injuries later on in the year you will have athletes who are able to do positions other then the ones they are comfortable.

...if that makes sense, first day back to school and i was up at 5 am :rolleyes:

I never thought about the back spot being like a quarterback in a football game until somebody here said it. So I watched my CP at one of her practices and sure enough, she really does look like a QB in a game. She's directing, pointing, giving advice, helping the bases with problems, etc.

I've seen her save stunts during a competition, pushing her flyer into position when she's about to lose it, and it makes me proud to say my baby is a back spot. :)

So take it as a compliment. And make your coach and your team proud of your skills and leadership. :)

I'm a firm believer that the back spot "runs" the stunt. The bases muscle the stunt, and everyone's job is to make the flyer look pretty. But the best backs I know are leaders, managers, directors.
I've ALWAYS told my kids the backspot controls the stunt. They are quick to realize just how valuable this position is. We always put our strongest girls as our backspots!

also, the senior I picked to become a coach was a backspot. Because she had to overlook the whole stunt, she knows exactly what the bases have to do and also what the flyer does, while I noticed that the other positions dont seem to know what the others do.
Also I know she'll be able to manage every situation and save every stunt she needs to. I know my group will be safe when she's leading them.

I wont put just anyone on the backspot position, only the ones I know I can really trust.
Whenever I need to help in a stunt, I prefer to be the backspot, because I like being in control.:)

When I started allstars, the only stunting position I had ever done (in school cheer) was back. So I assumed that since that's where my experience was, and being on a level 4 team my first year based on stunting strength, I assume, because I didn't have the tumbling at the time, I thought I would back all year. No, they decide to throw me into basing. But that's because one of the other girls in my stunt group, who was a realllly good backspot regardless of being shorter than me, had super long arms and could reach like 4 inches higher than me. So it's not based on head height alone, but how high up the stunt you can reach.

twhen i was main base i actually use to hog the stunt and bring it overtop of me all the time as result of backing for too long this was in an attempt to control the other bases and steady the stunt and it worked.

Kind of OT but that is exactly the way, basing is tought a lot over here. The main base takes the weight and goes directly under the flyer while the side mostly controls the flyers foot (and takes some weight should she need to).

But with backspots it's the same over here: They count, the direct, they yell cues and they can save a lot! :)

So this year I'm some form of base/back spot unfortunately noone except the little kids (8 year olds) get to fly so it's my sister who's about 4"9 and this other girl who is about 5"1-5"2 and me who is 5"0 I don't get why I'm a back spot when I'm shorter than her? I guess I'm more caring about this since I really would rather base than back spot so if anyone could guess why that's be great!

You're a back spot cause that's where you are needed

I am a Backspot and always have been. And i would never want to trade my position for any other. I love it, it's what i am really good at and it is indeed a very important position!

To the Thread Starter: Just try being a Backspot, you might actually like it!

Back