College Why Do Colleges Want Grounded Cheerleading Squads?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2015
So I'm new to college cheerleading and in order to make the team I had to know how to stunt for try-outs. However, now I'm being told that we can't stunt because the college wants us to be grounded like Duke and because we are all girls. I'm trying to understand why this would occur and if there is some reasoning behind why a college would want a grounded cheerleading squad?

So I'm new to college cheerleading and in order to make the team I had to know how to stunt for try-outs. However, now I'm being told that we can't stunt because the college wants us to be grounded like Duke and because we are all girls. I'm trying to understand why this would occur and if there is some reasoning behind why a college would want a grounded cheerleading squad?
More likely due to the risk of injury. Some schools have been grounded after a serious injury happened at or around that school like Florida.

I highly doubt the reason is because it is an all girl team. It may be as @luv2cheer92 stated above and it is for safety reasons, or it may be that the college has a standard of a team that stunts and a team that does not and the all girl team happens to be the team that doesn't stunt. Nothing wrong with it - it's just how some colleges operate.

Insurance Rates for 30+ athletes to practice, train, compete, and perform can't be cheap too

I know at Duke they are grounded bc they had a serious injury several years ago. Some colleges are not grounded but don't spin-stunts or tumbling.

Back