All-Star Why Does This Continue To Happen?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It would be nice to be able to hear both sides of the story before rushing to judgement. I'm not defending the gym owner necessarily, but I know that parents and gym owners do not always interpret events the same way.

It would be nice to be able to hear both sides of the story before rushing to judgement. I'm not defending the gym owner necessarily, but I know that parents and gym owners do not always interpret events the same way.

His side is irrelevant.

http://gymtymega.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/GTGA_1617cheerpacket.pdf

According to the gym's own published handbook each family paid $850 upfront for competition fees with the final payments due in November. These teams should have been able to participate at Cheersport.

The gym owner's side doesn't matter. These families paid a lot of money and have been seriously screwed over.

My old gym kinda (not really) had this happen once. We had a competition planned but we ended up not going due to people joining and not having time to change up our routines for them

This is so unfortunate, and I am honestly surprised this doesn't happen more since some gym owners have terrible business skills and are barely making ends meet to begin with. Paying huge sums of money in advance is a risk all parents take. If what the article is reporting is in fact true (I am willing to believe it is), I am guessing the main location can be held liable. I saw a screenshot of an email from this gym owner and he was trying to say the teams would go D2 at a different competition, but this wouldn't be possible given the new rules, so that would be a blatant lie. I feel so sad for the kids involved.

This is so unfortunate, and I am honestly surprised this doesn't happen more since some gym owners have terrible business skills and are barely making ends meet to begin with. Paying huge sums of money in advance is a risk all parents take. If what the article is reporting is in fact true (I am willing to believe it is), I am guessing the main location can be held liable. I saw a screenshot of an email from this gym owner and he was trying to say the teams would go D2 at a different competition, but this wouldn't be possible given the new rules, so that would be a blatant lie. I feel so sad for the kids involved.
Kind of unrelated but I've been wondering this all season. Can you not compete D2 at all, or is it just in regards to getting Summit bids?

One of the other gyms he owns in Illinois is also no longer on the Cheersport schedule, so it looks like it wasn't just this gym unfortunately.

Fact: Gymtyme Illinois was never going to Cheersport to begin with. I know this because my daughter is on a team there. Cheersport was never a scheduled competition for us.

Fact: Gymtyme Illinois was never going to cheersport to begin with. I know this because my daughter is on a team there. Cheersport was never a scheduled competition for us.
I wasn't talking about GT Illinois. He owns another gym that was on the original schedule, but is no longer there.

Fact: Gymtyme Illinois was never going to cheersport to begin with. I know this because my daughter is on a team there. Cheersport was never a scheduled competition for us.

And that is the problem with the way the article is written. It didn't clarify whether the other gyms weren't registered due to it not being on their schedule or due to the same issue as in Georgia.

I hope the finances are being handled properly at your location. Good luck in your season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of unrelated but I've been wondering this all season. Can you not compete D2 at all, or is it just in regards to getting Summit bids?

I believe you can only compete D2 at any competition if you have less than 125 athletes among all of your locations. I would find it hard to believe they can compete D2 being affiliated with GymTyme and the name on their uniforms.

I believe you can only compete D2 at any competition if you have less than 125 athletes among all of your locations. I would find it hard to believe they can compete D2 being affiliated with GymTyme and the name on their uniforms.

It could be a mistake, but there is a mega gym at Cheersport that has a smaller location listed as competing D2. I thought the same thing, but that had we wondering.

It could be a mistake, but there is a mega gym at Cheersport that has a smaller location listed as competing D2. I thought the same thing, but that had we wondering.

I am curious how that works. I haven't looked at the Cheersport schedule since we aren't going.

Here are the D2 eligibility rules from the Varsity site under D2 Summit FAQ's.

D2 Eligibility

NEW THIS YEAR- Single location D2 programs are the ONLY teams eligible for D2 Summit bids. Gyms must be of Division II size (125 athletes or less) when they receive a D2 Summit bid and MUST remain a D2 size gym when they arrive at the D2 Summit. Once a program goes above 125 athletes they will have to release their D2 bid, if they have one, and will not be eligible for D2 bids the remainder of the season.

Definition of multiple location
Share a tax ID
Share an owner
Have a franchising/liscending agreement with another gym
Have similar enough name OR branding it would confuse the consumer as to being part of a bigger gym
Share family plan or use multiple locations to meet family plan
If there is any possible confusion it is on the owners of the locations to prove to Varsity and the customers they are not a multi-location gym

Exception: The only multi location programs that are eligible to compete at the D2 Summit can not have more than 125 athletes total between all locations and meet the USASF requirement for a D2 program.

Back