All-Star Wildcard Summit Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't keep up with these types of things because I don't coach all stars. The way it was presented to me was that wild card teams were basically borderline qualified. Whether that was because their score to earn the bid was that low, or because they earned it at a smaller competition, I don't know. They were competing Friday night for a chance to actually compete in the event with the "real" bid earners.

to use a comparison that most people can relate to right now:

I felt as if the wild card day was like the four play-in games for the NCAA tournament. Or the play in games in each league for the MLB division series. A shot to get into the big dance.

I can see where if they're giving out 20 of these things in a single division it's a little more competitive than my understanding.

This is not true at all. In fact a Wild Card team won J3 Large division last year. It's about what competition your at when you receive your bid. You have NCA winning teams with Wild Card bids. I would be extremely careful with this kind of thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WC may not be the 'lowest' form of bid in some areas but there are some areas that view it as such. The teams we see getting WC bids in our area are teams that when they compete at 2 day comps don't even break the top 5.
I think it's great seeing the excitement from those kids. Those programs get a chance to go to Summit/D2 Summit. I often hear they go to enjoy the experience.
Personally if my CP's team isn't a contender I wouldn't want to waste the money. However we all know that's all these kids want is to go to The Summit/D2 Summit. So I will just make my reservations and prepare for another exhausting weekend in Florida.:defeated:

WC may not be the 'lowest' form of bid in some areas but there are some areas that view it as such. The teams we see getting WC bids in our area are teams that when they compete at 2 day comps don't even break the top 5.
I think it's great seeing the excitement from those kids. Those programs get a chance to go to Summit/D2 Summit. I often hear they go to enjoy the experience.
Personally if my CP's team isn't a contender I wouldn't want to waste the money. However we all know that's all these kids want is to go to The Summit/D2 Summit. So I will just make my reservations and prepare for another exhausting weekend in Florida.:defeated:
Well I sure hope all of our WC competition teams were 5th place or lower ;). We had to win Grand Champion to get that WC bid!

At our next comp, they are offering *1* WC bid. So you'd have to be the best team at the comp to even get it. So I don't think they are that easy to get.. I feel like it's easier to get an At-Large bid placing less than 1st than WC..

Honestly I kind of feel like WC bids are the most straight forward kind of bids being awarded, at least where I'm from. They are only given to the highest scoring youth, junior and senior team regardless of division. The bid declaration for at large and paid bids seem a lot more subjective and open to interpretation. I am curious about divisions with only one team in them though. How does that work? Do they just win?

Honestly I kind of feel like WC bids are the most straight forward kind of bids being awarded, at least where I'm from. They are only given to the highest scoring youth, junior and senior team regardless of division. The bid declaration for at large and paid bids seem a lot more subjective and open to interpretation. I am curious about divisions with only one team in them though. How does that work? Do they just win?

I agree with you on this. It's clear who will win the bid regardless of how many in the division, the depth of the division, etc. HIGHEST SCORING youth, junior, senior team earns it.

CP is in a small division. 1 paid, 2 wild cards at this point. Wild cards get to compete on Friday and automatically move to finals on Sunday. They get a scoresheet, have a day to rest and fix things if needed for finals. They can even come watch our team that goes on Saturday. So... there is some advantage for wild card bids in small divisions in my opinion.

The difference between earning a WC and an At Large or Paid is the competition you earn it at is a one day competition. Doesn't mean the teams earning the bids are less deserving. It's just as hard to get a WC, if not harder since they are handed out the way they are. For ex. a junior 1 team is against all junior teams (up to level 5 to get the bid). Usually At large and paid bids given out at 2 day competitions are given out by level (1 per level or more depending on the size)

I think it was an incentive to get more gyms to take wild cards.
More teams=more money.

Sad but true. Although they should really consider setting some other restriction like your team must have averaged at least a score of 90 or something IDK it is what it is and until a large number of parents and/or the majority of the larger gyms decide hey this is enough and actual protest an event by not going it isl not going to change any time soon.

Sad but true. Although they should really consider setting some other restriction like your team must have averaged at least a score of 90 or something IDK it is what it is and until a large number of parents and/or the majority of the larger gyms decide hey this is enough and actual protest an event by not going it isl not going to change any time soon.

If they don't have minimum score restrictions on Worlds Bid why should they have minimum score restrictions for the Summit?

That is true for D1 but not necessarily D2. We earned our bid at a 1 day event with 2 D2 WC bids, they could be awarded to any age group.

Back