All-Star Wildcard Summit Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughter's team got a D1 WC bid at their first competition where they came in first. They subsequently came in first at the next 3 competitions and came in 2nd at NCA by less than .24 points. They were in second after day one at NCA by 1.5 points after an uncharacteristically poor performance. So I would have to argue with the idea the teams that get WC bids are not up to par.

Edit to add - we were Grand Champions and High Point winners at two of the comps and didn't get a paid bid.

Last edited:
Wait a minute....

It's my understanding that the wild card bids were the lowest bids. So the wild card teams have an opportunity to go from being a lowest kind of bid team directly into finals?

That's BS

Some competitions only offer wild card bids. Our gym only attends 2 comps all season that offer at large bids (one being Cheersport Nationals) some teams will never get the chance to compete for an at large bid without spending major money to travel. There are teams with wild card bids that outscored teams with at large bids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And FYI, the comp producer decides who to award a bid to, and it isn't always the highest scoring eligible team. Recently in our area the top scoring team in the competition was passed up for a summit bid. It went to a lower scoring team from a better known gym. Yes, the smaller gym had definitely declared for the bid and they got level grand champs ahead of the other team.

I have said this often that if u can't score at least a 90 to get a bid, and that's even low, then why go to Worlds, spend the $ and have no hope off placing well?

Exactly now at the end of the day you spend your money on whatever you want but I think an average score of 90 or better for the season not at that particular competition is not unreasonable to be considered for any bid. Granted it would mean setting an actual season window with a definite start and end date to allow enough time to cover travel, etc to either Worlds or The Summit. And yes it would probably also mean doing a certain amount of qualifying competitions that would go towards your average. Maybe each week instead of Summit reveals post a top 10 or 20 division standing which would lead to a huge Summit bid reveal at the end of the season. I also saw someone mentioned about some competitions judge harder than others. I mean this may be pie in the sky but just like the NFL have official referees that could be at any game at any time any where. Maybe they need "official" judges that are just sent randomly to different competitions and never know where they are being sent to judge a comp until they are told IDK. Is this how it is suppose to already work? Who knows? Just writing random thoughts carry on.

Wait a minute....

It's my understanding that the wild card bids were the lowest bids. So the wild card teams have an opportunity to go from being a lowest kind of bid team directly into finals?

That's BS
Actually 2 of our teams won summit on a wildcard bid. One competed all 3 days, the competed in wildcard and finals, so they're not the lowest bids, as you said

If I remember correctly, someone said 17 WC teams won the Summit last year. Bids used to only be given at 2 day events, so if you were a gym in a remote area or chose to keep cost down by attending only local 1 day events, your gym had little to no chance at a bid. Those of us in the south/southeast where 2 days are plentiful didn't give it much thought. The "straight to the finals" used to upset me, but the benefit for everyone is it provides a way for gyms to reduce travel across the board. Less time missed at school, reduced or no hotel stay, $10-15 spectator fee, and reduced comp fees is a big step forward for every athlete, parent, and gym IMO and definitely outweighs one more day at Disney.

US Gym List | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Any kind of summit bid is unbelievably hard to get. If you get a summit bid, that's a major accomplishment.
Unlike worlds bids - where it's like an Oprah episode - you get a bid & you get a bid. Everyone gets a bid!! :D

sorry, don't know why this posted twice ...

Oh wow that is interesting, one would think it would be the opposite, go figure.

Wait a minute....

That's BS
Wild card bids are also a good incentive for those powerhouse D2 gyms that may not necessarily have the means to travel all of the coast to chase bids!

The wildcard round itself is pretty intense, I've seen plenty of wildcard teams that would cream some of these mega gym teams that have paid bids. And let's not forget that a few of those wildcard teams have gone to win the Summit in both D1 and D2.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wild card bids are also a good incentive for those powerhouse D2 gyms that may not necessarily have the means to travel all of the coast to chase bids!

The wildcard round itself is pretty intense, I've seen plenty of wildcard teams that would cream some of these mega gym teams that have paid bids. And let's not forget that a few of those wildcard teams have gone to win the Summit in both D1 and D2.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Let's not discount them adding the incentive of moving to finals to get more teams to accept WC bids. More teams equals more money.
In some divisions WC is very tempting simply because of the lack of WC teams in that division. So basically you get a dry run with judges comments so that can be a huge advantage.

Let's not discount them adding the incentive of moving to finals to get more teams to accept WC bids. More teams equals more money.
In some divisions WC is very tempting simply because of the lack of WC teams in that division. So basically you get a dry run with judges comments so that can be a huge advantage.
I agree. There are a few small divisions that if I was a coach I would think getting wildcard would be advantage- getting feedback on Friday is invaluable and then still be guaranteed to be competing Sunday is a win-win.

If I remember correctly, someone said 17 WC teams won the Summit last year. Bids used to only be given at 2 day events, so if you were a gym in a remote area or chose to keep cost down by attending only local 1 day events, your gym had little to no chance at a bid. Those of us in the south/southeast where 2 days are plentiful didn't give it much thought. The "straight to the finals" used to upset me, but the benefit for everyone is it provides a way for gyms to reduce travel across the board. Less time missed at school, reduced or no hotel stay, $10-15 spectator fee, and reduced comp fees is a big step forward for every athlete, parent, and gym IMO and definitely outweighs one more day at Disney.

US Gym List | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
I completely agree that there are programs who can use the WC bids this way, and that it is a good strategy. But I'm more cynical about Varsity's motivation. I think the WC bids are more about making it a.) a 3 day event ( got to justify the building of the new complex) and b.) limiting participation in independent event producers' competitions. They certainly would not have benefited by essentially giving up their share of the 1 day comps. It was a good strategy from a business perspective...

And FYI, the comp producer decides who to award a bid to, and it isn't always the highest scoring eligible team. Recently in our area the top scoring team in the competition was passed up for a summit bid. It went to a lower scoring team from a better known gym. Yes, the smaller gym had definitely declared for the bid and they got level grand champs ahead of the other team.

Near the beginning of the Seaon we saw a relatively poor scoring team get a D2 WC because there were all D1 teams ahead of them in the Youth Division. And then later in our area, a small program took the D1 WC because all the higher scoring teams in their divisions were D2. Two different EP's... what EP was the event you're referring to? And did the decision match their bid declaration?

Near the beginning of the Seaon we saw a relatively poor scoring team get a D2 WC because there were all D1 teams ahead of them in the Youth Division. And then later in our area, a small program took the D1 WC because all the higher scoring teams in their divisions were D2. Two different EP's... what EP was the event you're referring to? And did the decision match their bid declaration?
This was a D1 bid. The team that outscored them was a D1 team. It was a Jamfest event.

Back