College Will Hellcats Tv Show On The Cw Change Activities For Colegiate Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 30, 2011
What areas of Collegiate Cheer will change due to the influence of the Hellcats show on The CW television network? Here are a couple of ideas for thought;

The dance for Performances & Competition will be more creative (agree/disagree) how?
Stunts may begin to include some of the Sports Acro movements (agree/disagree) how?
Routine creativity may begin to consider the camera angels (agree/disagree) how?
“Party Themes” may be considered, although budget is a restriction (agree/disagree) how?

Let’s get that “Party going on!”

Realistically, I don't think any College Cheer will change because of a TV show. Hellcats has done a great job of at least trying to stay true to collegiate cheerleading and keeping up with current events (Quinnipiac/Volleyball case anyone?) But there are still plenty of parts of the show that are hard to take seriously and I don't think that college cheer will ever be influenced by a fake tv show.

Dance is dance, choreographers do their best, I don't think that will change. Creativity depends on the choreographer, and this show can afford to hire the best. Most colleges can't.

College cheerleading used to have a lot of those acro movements (check out YouTube for videos of Louisville from the 80s). They're illegal now.

Camera Angles happen at NCA and UCA Nationals, that's not new, but it's not what the judges see.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "Party themes."

I love the show but LOL all the time when they try to do anything but stunt or tumble. They sure "try" to dance. They refer to their floor as "sprung" but maybe that's what they call it in college. Cute show but I can't get my allstar to watch it with me!

What are the ratings for this show? I was under the impression that practically every CW show gets between 2-5 million viewers, which is not enough to make a dent in anyone's perception of college cheer. And that's not a knock on the show. I have it on my DVR (I'm at practice when it comes on).

I hate this show! Attempted to watch it for a couple of months but can't get into it - which says a lot seeing as that I will watch anything related to cheer!

Like others have said.. I don't think this will affect Collegiate Cheerleading in any way.
But I do love this show!

The show like many Hollywood influenced products must leverage crowd appeal as we observe in this program pandering to;
Sex Appeal or just SEX
Co-Ed issues, but really a Co-Ed Cheer Dorm and sharing a common bathroom?
Outside stories for interest; legal problems, drinking, parties
Family friction & unrest
Good & bad illustrations of Religious Faith in action

Then it has addresses some real Cheer issues;
Injury rates - on the first episode & others
Need for Spotters
Progressive Learning of all physical skills
Competitive Cheer; more like All*Star qualification for Nationals through competitions
Employ real Cheer Athletes and gymnast, just watch them in the background!
Coach is illustrated, however direction & control aren't apparent
Real Memphis TN background & local issues for the setting

What do you believe they have left out or missed in the show?

I hate this show! Attempted to watch it for a couple of months but can't get into it - which says a lot seeing as that I will watch anything related to cheer!
I couldn't agree more! I had such high hopes for the show, and also couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tired! It just wasn't realistic to me. Just my opinion.

The show like many Hollywood influenced products must leverage crowd appeal as we observe in this program pandering to;
Sex Appeal or just SEX
Co-Ed issues, but really a Co-Ed Cheer Dorm and sharing a common bathroom?
Outside stories for interest; legal problems, drinking, parties
Family friction & unrest
Good & bad illustrations of Religious Faith in action

Then it has addresses some real Cheer issues;
Injury rates - on the first episode & others
Need for Spotters
Progressive Learning of all physical skills
Competitive Cheer; more like All*Star qualification for Nationals through competitions
Employ real Cheer Athletes and gymnast, just watch them in the background!
Coach is illustrated, however direction & control aren't apparent
Real Memphis TN background & local issues for the setting

What do you believe they have left out or missed in the show?
They have left out a real, very important issue...Coaches background checks and safety certification....only recommended and not mandatory,,,,a REAL CHEER ISSUE.

If this silly show has an effect on college cheerleading, or cheerleading in general, then I have no hope for society. This show is a joke.

If this silly show has an effect on college cheerleading, or cheerleading in general, then I have no hope for society. This show is a joke.

As you say, a portion of the program is a joke, agreed, which explains its role as ENTERTAINMENT not a documentary. However, Cheerleading continues to attract media attention and ultimately financial support from advertisers. Apparently, Hellcats has landed upon a successful formula, which is working since they just concluded the second Season.

In your perspective, how would you adjust the "REALITY" of the program? As much fun as the series of movies called "Bring It" have brought to the cult of Cheer, ... they also lacked any "reality check" for practice or competition movements. Any illustrations of concepts for inclusion?

They have left out a real, very important issue...Coaches background checks and safety certification....only recommended and not mandatory,,,,a REAL CHEER ISSUE.

I agree that a background check is a necessary step in providing appropriate leadership for Cheer athletes.

Coaches, Athletes, or parents of athletes do not recognize the Safety risk involved in all of the most popular movements of Cheer performance or Cheer Competition. The current Safety Certification does provide access to written materials, however those materials do not provide the necessary "HANDS-ON" training necessary to keep athletes SAFE!

Think about that for a moment, do you know of a single ATHLETIC SPORT, which is willing to hire COACHES without proven HANDS-ON experience? Most High Schools provide hands on experience to learn something as fundamental to life as driving and every Instructor is required to be certified, usually by the State! Follow-the-money, who is compensated when anyone currently achieves certification either through NCSSE (National Council for Spirit Safety and Education) or AACCA (American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators)? Only the owner of both AACCA & NCSSE financially benefits, … and the owner of both is Varsity Brands! What is the stated goal of AACCA & NCSSE first level training? The ability to “READ” the AACCA manual & all updates for alterations to guidelines when competing or participating. Notice these are guidelines, not rules! Neither AACCA nor NCSSE have the ability to hold anyone accountable for enforcing any guidelines!

I’m just saying, … we have a desperate need for “Hands-On” education & training for all Coaches! The best SAFETY Factor in Cheer is the Coach knowing the difference in dangerous movements for each skill level of participants! Until this issue is addressed Nationally, the number of severe & catastrophic injuries will continue to rise. Promoting the use of mats when participating is one method of raising safety for athletes, but only a Coaches approval & experience in knowing which specific movements are appropriate for each athlete will prevent them from attempting the one that results with injury!

I'm not going to lie I love Hellcats. But it's not going to have any effect on college cheer or the way its viewed. If the show were more realistic, I would say that it could make some difference. But the skills are so unrealistic. One episode they do toe-touch baskets and preps, and the next they do some crazy probably illegal stunt. I also feel like it's had too many other story lines added in. It's less about cheerleading and more about drama

Back