Winning Because Of Skill Or Name??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The bigger more known gyms have usually been around for longer and have more experience than the small gyms, with this they know more about the competitions they are going to and know how to max out the score sheet, but new teams can know how to really fill out those score sheets too, its really all about knowing how to get maximum points, and older and bigger gyms know how to do that.

I think sometimes name does have a lot to do with it. Yes, small gyms can compete and win, but there is a lot of politics in the All-Star world. Just like in every sport. I hear from parents of hockey players, soccer players etc. It is all the same-except we do it with glitter and bows!

I completely agree my team went to cheersport in Atlanta and got completely cheated because of other big named gyms, cheer athletics was in first place with 3 deductions, stingrays was in 3rd place with 7 deductions, and fame was in second place with 4 deductions and my team came in 5th with zero deductions. It was awful. We hit a near perfect routine

I think it depends. I personally come from a smaller gym that none of you guys probaly ever heard of. We won NCA this year and got the highest score in a competition called "AMAZING". Anyways, we went to a competiton and had to compete against Cheer Athletics for High Point. Like always the large gym one even though we had total strangers congratulate us on what a perfect routine we had just done. Many even said we were CHEATED!

If you look at many of the bigger gyms, their most recognizable athletes are those that have come up through their system. They didn't just waltz into the gym 2 years ago and get handed a center flyer/last pass/etc spot on the gym's most recognizable team. In fact, I would venture to say that MOST of the level 5 female athletes on world champion teams have cheered at those gyms for 5-10+ years. It's a reflection of those larger gyms' farming systems (aka: their lower level teams). There is no such thing as a gym that has strong level 5 teams but only sub-par lower level teams. If a gym only pays attention to their top level teams, they won't have anybody to feed that team(s) in 2-3 years.

Have there been teams that won a tight race because they wear a certain uniform? I'm sure of it. But just the opposite can happen, also. A big gym can lose because their known teams are SO GOOD that a judge/spectator can look at their unknown teams and be extremely underwhelmed. For example, if I went to a competition and Rays Junior 3 team jumped like everyone else in the division (assuming those teams jump averagely), I would be disappointed. It's something they are known for and excel at so much on their upper level teams that I would expect the same attention to detail with lower levels. Every other team could jump just like the Rays J3 team and I wouldn't think twice about their jumps not being executed well enough. (P.S. I used that example because it's not the case. I think Rays lower level teams have always been a large gym that holds their own weight in any level they compete.) It happens on both ends of the spectrum, and personally, there have been very few times when I was truly just dumbfounded about how the judges came up with the winner. Most of the time judges pick a fair winner.

I have to agree with this. At my gym, we start in Tinys working with the kids to get the skill level where it needs to be to eventually be on Youth, Junior or Senior Elite. If you look at our Tiny or Mini 1/2 teams, they hardly ever win, but it is because the coaches focus on teaching the skills, not just perfecting the routine. And that pays off when they get the tumbling passes to move up to a Youth 5. A lot of small gyms get a lot of satisfaction out of beating the 'big names' and that's okay too. Those kids need to know that they are doing a good job on their routines too.

I completely agree my team went to cheersport in Atlanta and got completely cheated because of other big named gyms, cheer athletics was in first place with 3 deductions, stingrays was in 3rd place with 7 deductions, and fame was in second place with 4 deductions and my team came in 5th with zero deductions. It was awful. We hit a near perfect routine

That just means that your routine, while being flawless, wasn't as difficult. Ask your coaches about why your raw scores are so low. They can explain it to you the best but basically your coaches have to choreograph to the top of the skill level of your actual athletes and if what you can hit clean isn't close to the top of maxing out a score sheet for your division then the teams that maxed the score sheet but weren't completely flawless will always beat you. Gym size only plays a part in that they might have more skilled kids to build with.

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends. I personally come from a smaller gym that none of you guys probaly ever heard of. We won NCA this year and got the highest score in a competition called "AMAZING". Anyways, we went to a competiton and had to compete against Cheer Athletics for High Point. Like always the large gym one even though we had total strangers congratulate us on what a perfect routine we had just done. Many even said we were CHEATED!

That just means that your routine, while being flawless, wasn't as difficult. Ask your coaches about why your raw scores are so low. They can explain it to you the best but basically your coaches have to choreograph to the top of the skill level of your actual athletes and if what you can hit clean isn't close to the top of maxing out a score sheet for your division then the teams that maxed the score sheet but weren't completely flawless will always beat you. Gym size only plays a part in that they might have more skilled kids to build with.
P.S. I have heard of your gym and they have come a long way and are getting stronger each year!!! Congrats to you all in you successes!!!!!

P.S. I have heard of your gym and they have come a long way and are getting stronger each year!!! Congrats to you all in you successes!!!!!

Yeah I guess I could ask again. We did up our raw score a lot by adding more group tumbling and more jump connections. I think that helped us a lot for"AMAZING".
Thanks we have come a long way our coaches are working hard!

Im on twisters and i dont think we win cuz of the name we win because we work hard to live up to the name and reach the high expectations of everyone not because we have several world champion teams but because we are expected to be national champion teams and we definetley work for it its not just handed to us.

Back