All-Star Winter Weather And Cheer Comps...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Everyone is having a cow about Spirit Fest on twitter! Kids who don't drive should not have such a huge opinion on the subject. Personally I would be petrified to be driving in those conditions. My school, which is notorious for staying open in snow, has already declared curtailed operations Friday through Sunday morning. This is not just a dusting.
Nbc news here says Hartford is due for 37" of snow, it was the best decision for everyone!!!!

4 years ago we had a bad snow storm on Long island and all the high school teams that were scheduled to fly out for UCA nationals were stuck, they had to rent buses to drive them to orlando. But they made it.
its happening again right now! I know last night Wantagh and Clarke were looking into that exact same thing. Not sure what happened though.

Ya this is happening up here as well but canada is a lil bit better equipped to handle snow. People still, however, don't know how to drive in it which is ridiculous ..seeing as it's canada for god sake. Anyway, our sharks in toronto area are competing and girls from ottawa who compete on the small senior worlds team left early due to the dumping we are supposed to be getting that started last night. Many areas have "snow days" right now but schools are still opened and buses are cancelled. So basically no one went to school lol and are having a long weekend :)

Ya this is happening up here as well but canada is a lil bit better equipped to handle snow. People still, however, don't know how to drive in it which is ridiculous ..seeing as it's canada for god sake. Anyway, our sharks in toronto area are competing and girls from ottawa who compete on the small senior worlds team left early due to the dumping we are supposed to be getting that started last night. Many areas have "snow days" right now but schools are still opened and buses are cancelled. So basically no one went to school lol and are having a long weekend :)

How much are you guys projected to get up there?

How much are you guys projected to get up there?
they are saying around 30 cm but we've been getting about an avg 3-4 cm per hour since early this morning haha so I doubt that 30 cm prediction will be right. We also have almost 0 visibility and a lot of blowing snow. So they are saying not to drive but here they don't often close highways just certain streets because of higher collision rates and blowing snow.

I'm outside tanning right now in 82 degree weather...

But seriously, prayers that no one is hurt or stuck and the snow isn't too bad in your area! Stay warm :D

i'm glad they cancelled/postponed it. it's rare in this sport that an athlete's safety gets put first, so for once i'm glad someone took some initiative.

i'll be curious to see how the rescheduling goes, though. it's a bid comp, so very important to a lot of teams. but depending on what date the convention center will give them and when other bigs comps/holidays are, i wonder if they're be any big issues with teams not being able to attend? that would suck. and now i get why it's easier to not cancel cheer competitions.
Our teams issue is the 2 weekends that High school states (3/9)and regionals (3/16) are, as we have alot of girls who do both.

Damn, in England even though we have bad rainy weather constantly we don't have enough competitions in a year for any to be cancelled due to snow etc.

I remember a few years back when Jamfest Live was in Pittsburgh. We got one of our most memorable snow storms in recent history and teams were pulling out but they were still holding the competition. Then the city closed all buildings owned by the city so they had to cancel. Our team had pulled out, but some people had travelled for the competition then were stuck in Pittsburgh.

This is everybody in New England....

Please if you didn't stock up AND fill up your car and gas canisters for the generators yesterday by 6 you were SOL on Long Island....there were gas stations already out of gas last night.
Although I did brave Costco today because I really needed coffee and salt 'n pepper pistachios.

In 2007 my team went to UPA in Minneapolis and there was a huge snow storm on Saturday night... We woke up to a foot of snow on Sunday morning. Luckily only certain teams at the competition moved on to Sunday, and ours was not one of those, so we were able to head home. I think most people who had flown decided to either take the train home to Chicago or hop in cars with people who had driven. It was a rough drive home with lots and lots of blowing snow.

I work for an EP and we ran a one day competition in Wisconsin a few years ago. Snow and ice hit after we had set up on Saturday night, but we decided not to cancel. Not the best road conditions, but not horrible when you consider it's winter in the Midwest. Our staff and judges, most of which drove further than the teams, showed up... and one whole team (I believe from the furthest away) showed up. No one else.

Back