All-Star World Championships?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

chyeeaaa69

The Beygency. . best GIFs/Memes
Dec 14, 2009
I have seen this being brought up A LOT in the talks about the international division, be it all girl or coed, and I thought a little discussion about it would be interesting, and please, take into consideration how athletes from other countries may feel on this topic and refrain from looking at this as "bringing down" American teams, or "not allowing" American teams to compete.
We call the event held annually in Florida around the end of April "World Championships" however I personally would hardly consider it a world championship. You have 2 divisions; on paper or not, you have the U.S division, and the International division. NO other sport, do you have a seperation like this at a world championship. I understand that in almost no other sport is there such a clear seperation of abilities between countries as a whole, so here's how I feel a solution could come about.
I understand why a country would not send a team/teams to the "club" division of Worlds, after all, would you want to return to your country saying you didn't even make it to finals against only the United States? So the international division seems good in that sense. You can return with a sense of pride (justified or not) that you made finals against the "best from around the world".
That bit of information being presented, here's what I suggest. Rant about how I'm a nobody or how my opinion isn't valid, but I'm looking at this as someone from a different country, and I'm sure my views are shared. Eliminate the separation all together. There is now just Worlds. Small senior, large senior, small limited, large limited, medium coed, open coed 5 &6, open all girl 5&6. doesn't sound too different, but here's my logic. I look at a lot of international open coed teams and see 4-6 very talented boys, and obviously a number of talented girls. Would a team like that not be perfect for small limited, large limited, or maybe even medium coed? I understand that with the current rules, they are allowed to enter these divisions, but why do it when you are only going against the United States? Without the separation I believe, and disagree with me all you like, that more teams will be entering other divisions at Worlds.
That being said, everything about Worlds remains the same. A certain percentage of each division goes to finals, competes for the title of World Champion. you may ask what the point of all this is? to me, it is to create a TRUE World Championships. The World Championships to me, as they currently are, is more like a Worlds event beside a National event. Others may not find the necessity for it to be considered a true World Championships in the eyes of a 17 year old Canadian, but imagine what it may do for the sport 5-6 years from now if this were in place.

I think part of the problem is our age guidelines. That's one of the reasons so few international teams enter the club divisions, not just because they don't think they can hang with the US.

I think part of the problem is our age guidelines. That's one of the reasons so few international teams enter the club divisions, not just because they don't think they can hang with the US.

Very true. I guess seeing senior-aged athletes on IO5 teams in Canada and the U.S, I assumed in other countries this was the same, never really thought about it that way!

Very true. I guess seeing senior-aged athletes on IO5 teams in Canada and the U.S, I assumed in other countries this was the same, never really thought about it that way!

Yup...at least that's what I've always been told.

Don't want to offend anyone but looking at the skills thrown by the INTL teams from other countries, whose primary talent is stunting and tumbling isn't up to the US's level, it's pretty clear that they would not make it to finals when teams who have tick tocks and 5-10 doubles aren't as it is now in the current strictly US divisions (small limited, small senior etc).

And also among the INTL teams, it seems like the US wins every year. The other countries have to really keep up. They don't have the talent as the American does. Enough of that "best cheerleading teams in the world are from USA because where it originated it", i wanna 'foreigners' sweep the Worlds.

And also among the INTL teams, it seems like the US wins every year. The other countries have to really keep up. They don't have the talent as the American does. Enough of that "best cheerleading teams in the world are from USA because where it originated it", i wanna 'foreigners' sweep the Worlds.

see*

I would love to see another country win a worlds title. But I just don't see it happening at least for a few more years. Countries just don't have the tumbling needed to place high in other division, or the talent at a young age needed to be competitive. I feel that the open division are great for at least now.

I don't know what senior age is in other countries (other than the US) but here in England it is at least 1 member 16+ with all members 10+, most non US teams compete in INTL because the few teams that do qualify for worlds have athletes in their 20s.

I don't know what senior age is in other countries (other than the US) but here in England it is at least 1 member 16+ with all members 10+, most non US teams compete in INTL because the few teams that do qualify for worlds have athletes in their 20s.

Senior age is 19 and under in the US (I believe). For that reason, many international teams are excluding from competing in the senior division if they have athletes over 19. That's why the International Open Level 5 division exists (14+).

why must your first post be sooo long jeff. so hard to read at work!

I know this is not exactly on the Topic but i wanted to add a thought which came to my mind reading about the discussion about making worlds more ,,international''
I've been to Worlds hosted by the IFC in Bremen/Germany 2009
These Worlds are somehow closer to the regular way of qualifying for a World Championship which is common in most of the sports besides Cheerleading. There are the following Divisons
Senior Allgirl
Senior CoEd
Senior Dance
Senior Goupstunt AllGirl
Senior CoEd Groupstunt

Each country sends ONE Team which has qualified at one certain Championship in their country(i'm not quite sure which one but i guess it is Nationals)
So the competition is way smaller than at the USASF Worlds, but the qualifying mode is regulated so that some people might consider it more of a World Championship then the USASF ones.

This is not my personal opinion, i personally love the USASF worlds, and i also think it is and will always be hard for International Teams to hang with the US ones.

Senior age is 19 and under in the US (I believe). For that reason, many international teams are excluding from competing in the senior division if they have athletes over 19. That's why the International Open Level 5 division exists (14+).

I think US senior age is 12-18 and I know that is the reason for non US teams competing in INTL, I meant my post for the original poster who asked why non US teams don't compete in the club divisions, I just didn't quote him.

Do you guys consider ICU (Team USA, Team Scotland, Team Chile) MORE a World Championship than Allstar Worlds?

I still don't for this reason- take Scotland for example. I will say nothing against Team Scotland, I have friends on that team, I know the coaches, and they all deserve their spot! But if Team Scotland did Allstar Worlds and ICU, they would not be representing the best talent in Scottish Cheerleading, because Gold Star are also going. I'm not saying that Gold Star cheerleaders are infinitely better than people from Team Scotland, I'm just saying that Team Scotland may or may not be the best in Scotland. I guess it's like England entering the World Cup, and Man U entering too, but keeping some of Englands best players.

If anyone got that, thanks:L! <3

Back