All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermomof4xxs

Cheer Parent
Mar 31, 2011
I heard this weekend from a few that USASF is most likely going to pass the age raise for Worlds athletes to 13 for the 2018-19 season. Then next year move it up to 14 for the 2019-2020 season, where they ultimately want it. With USASF’s statement that came out today I wonder if this is what will be released on the 15th? I have a few questions. I wanted to know if there is any truth to this? I searched & was unable to find any information on it anywhere. Also does the USASF post proposed changes for an upcoming season anywhere for the public to read about? Do parents or athletes have a voice at all in this or other changes?

I'd be willing to be that the age grid will be as you mentioned, or at least similar. Other divisions will be affected as well. USASF does not make anything public, even to paid members. Parents and athletes have never had a voice despite many efforts from good, knowledgeable people.

They did send out a survey to parents, but no idea how much they will listen to the feedback. I know one request was changes be made early and not after tryouts. It looks like they may have listened to that.

Sort of ironic, but just occurred to me if they eventually move the age to 14 and don't also adjust the IO/IOC 5 teams then you would be eligible for the IO/IOC 5 teams before you are eligible for a Senior 5 teams. IO/IOC currently has a unique Calendar age set up.

Sort of ironic, but just occurred to me if they eventually move the age to 14 and don't also adjust the IO/IOC 5 teams then you would be eligible for the IO/IOC 5 teams before you are eligible for a Senior 5 teams. IO/IOC currently has a unique Calendar age set up.

I feel like they'll end up merging together at some point and removing the age limit of 18. I mean what other sport has such a low age cap on their highest levels?

I have always found it interesting that you could in theory, be in MIDDLE school on IO with ADULTS.

I feel like they'll end up merging together at some point and removing the age limit of 18. I mean what other sport has such a low age cap on their highest levels?

That's true. No other sport has an age cup on its highest/elite levels.

Ever since the Tiny age was moved from 5 to 6, I have thought that Mini should be moved to 9, Youth to 12 and Junior to 15 or maybe even 16. And then Senior could have no upper age limit. I'm fine with lower age limits.

I’m so disappointed with the proposed changes. I have no issue with moving to 11 year old on senior non worlds team but really don’t agree with increasing the worlds age requirement.

I’m so disappointed with the proposed changes. I have no issue with moving to 11 year old on senior non worlds team but really don’t agree with increasing the worlds age requirement.
Just curious what about the proposed changes disappoint you? Genuinely curious...as a parent I can only see positive things from this change. I suppose it might make it harder for smaller gyms to field a World’s team...but that’s the only drawback I can see.

i can see why some would hate the 13/14 age change, that would give potential athletes only 5 years to compete on a worlds team, unless they did IO. And if you had an older athlete on the cusp of level 5 skills, but not eligible, it would give them even less time to reach a worlds team.
I didnt start allstars till i was 10/11, luckily i had previous gymnastics skills, so was able to reach level 5 easier/faster then most. But i also competed in the early days, where my main asset to a coed team was flying.

Just curious what about the proposed changes disappoint you? Genuinely curious...as a parent I can only see positive things from this change. I suppose it might make it harder for smaller gyms to field a World’s team...but that’s the only drawback I can see.
My daughter is a great base. Her cheer age is 12. She is working her double. It probably isn’t feasible at this point to base a 12-13 year old girl. So the only way she will get on a worlds team is probably when she’s older/stronger like 15-16 and the flyers are comparably smaller than she is.
Also I have lot of friends who’s daughters fly and are like 9-11 years old and amazing- both in tumbling and stunting. My daughter has no issue basing level 4-5 with them. It’s sad to me that they will have to wait years more to get on a worlds team. Talk about killing a potential pipeline - being on jr5R, srR5 or j5 for 4+ years. I don’t see a lot of them sticking with it long term.

Just my opinion, if they truly love Cheer then they would stay and enjoy cheering on the J5 team until they are eligible for a Worlds team. What are the big differences between being on a Worlds team v. a Junior 5 team? You still compete the same level skills. The main difference is your big end of the year competition would be Summit v. Worlds. Both are at Disney and very expensive.

Back