Worlds Age Change???

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by cheermomof4xxs, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Lablover

Lablover I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I know for a few of my friends’ children it isn’t about doing worlds 8 times. It’s about getting to experience worlds and then potentially quitting all stars by high school so they can concentrate on other sports that they also excel at (and might actually get a scholarship), focus on academics and/or high school cheer.

2. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I feel badly that there are some kids who will be affected by two years, but I do see an age change as being an overall benefit to the industry. I don't think more divisions is the answer. Divisions are already overall small now - more dilution will make too many one or two team divisions and parents and kids will get tired of that quickly. Cost, enforcing rules that are already in existence and most importantly transparency in scoring are critical factors that should be considered over anything else.

3. LateKate3

LateKate3 Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Thank you so much for looking at things from a different perspective. Her love of cheer will not be foiled, and I'm not being a "Suzy's mom"...all I'm saying is there will be disappointment because something is stopping her from her goals. Thank you for validating my feelings as a mom.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. lifeoftheparty

lifeoftheparty When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I definitely don't think you are SM. This sport is exhausting and our kids work so hard. I have been around it for a long time, long before WORLDS and every competition was important. Now kids look forward to being on a worlds team solely. It is not what parents are pushing the industry is pushing it. They work toward that goal since they start in this sport. It hurts to see our kids disappointed. I get it. Maybe stagger years next year 13, 2020 14. If the ultimate goal is indeed 14.

5. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The way it's worded it is interesting, "While this is a non-rules-change year, there are some new opportunities offered in the Age Grid"

If it's a non-rules change year does that mean no changes this year?

6. CLynn

CLynn I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Some sort of all-star rec division, perhaps that is seasonal vs. all year and is lower cost and allows cheerleaders to be involved with other seasonal sports. The way some gyms use half year programs but more formalized? Also, I do think they will raise the bottom ages and make D1/D2 gym choice.
    I thought same but then it says "Please note that the Age Grid will be an early release of the divisions, levels, ages, and team sizes so that coaches can plan early for next season" so I am interpreting (just guessing) that rules are seen as separate from the age grid?

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. MissCongeniality

MissCongeniality Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think it depends on what "skills" you are talking about (from 10 year olds). I think 10 year olds are some of the biggest gym rats out there. (Speaking from my own experience with my kiddo here) Boys, puberty, drama hasn't taken over their lives yet and they can often develop skills...particularly tumbling... at a crazy pace. But--- (and again I speak from experience) how many can perform a senior level 5 dance (lol my kiddo - when she got a bit older - once referred to it as "harnessing her inner slut"). How many have the maturity in motions or the ability to step in and do a role they are not used to (base a stunt rather than fly if necessary... or vice versa). The thing I always say is that Worlds Level 5 is more like a "job" than what they are used to at other levels (even if they were Y5 or J5). Going to Worlds is fun. Being challenged is fun. But, and I speak in hindsight and from experience here, being a kid and getting to have fun/enjoy what you are doing is more important...even if that means not getting to use your max skills for a few more years.

Trust me... i so understand... my daughter (like i said earlier) got hit with age changes back when and was subsequently delayed for 2 years from being on a Worlds 5.... I was so bummed for her, but it all worked out. And now, looking back, it was all much more okay than I thought it would be and my only sadness is that someone stole her Worlds ring from her dorm room!

8. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This confuses me because they already have PREP which functions as a seasonal/low cost alternative in most gyms (ex: prep where my godchildren cheer doesn't even start tryouts/evals until late October.)

What else could they add?

Not in favor of more divisions, but perhaps they want to impose some stricter guidelines for PREP? Ex: I know in some gyms, prep is basically just as expensive and time-consuming as a regular team and I do not think that was the original intent?

9. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yeah. Where we used to live, prep was usually full year teams. Where we live now gyms do it either full or half year (or have both). Full year prep compete against half year prep - doesn't seem fair. So maybe some restrictions on prep that no practices are allowed before say Oct/Nov? Just guessing here. Or 2 different divisions, full & half... :confused:

And then so that Varsity can make extra money anyway, there will be mini-summits for prep teams in a few different locations. :p

10. CLynn

CLynn I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree with you.
    Right. I think USASF wants a place for everybody so maybe they will separate new to cheer/no experience but want full year all star (Prep) vs low commitment/limited season/limited price (Rec). I think burn-out is a legitimate issue they are trying to address...

11. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I also dream of the day where we get more than 6 levels because I can easily see how level 1 could be split into 2 separate levels.

Something like:
    Level 1 - rolls, cartwheels, Round offs, below prep level stunts, 2 leg prep stunts
    Level 2 - Walkovers, all the other current level 1 stunts

Basically, instead of having elite at level stunts, make the elite level stunts a whole new level. I think that would make things a lot easier progression wise. But level 1 for sure needs to be separated in 2 from my perspective.

ETA:
    This could also help eliminate those teams that "shouldn't be level ___". The levels have such a broad range and the inbetweener kids get lost in the shuffle.

I understand that some people don't want more levels because they believe it will lead to less competition, but I really think that it would end up with better levelled teams, and lead to more competition because those kids who don't really "fit" would have a place to fit, and maybe stick with the sport instead of getting discouraged and leaving because of lack of progress. Smaller steps between levels isn't the same as a participation medal, to me it's allowing athletes to feel successful when they make those smaller achievements.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. Natalia5

Natalia5 Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I hope this would be the case because too many people view prep as a demotion or "remedial" all star cheer (yes, I have heard that comment) and I did not like it. I personally view it as a way to ease into full year All Star Cheer without all of the major time commitment which allow for a tumbling class to either learn and/or perfect more skills to dive into a full year program in a season or two. I also think that instead of say placing a kid on a team because of their age and not their skill because of a gym's "everybody makes a team policy" you can funnel those athletes into your prep program which again would or should come with a class to work on the skills that are lacking or need improvement while getting in some competitions too.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. BlockHead

BlockHead Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Because this is the age of instant gratification. People aren't used to having to wait for things anymore.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Jonathan Brouillette

Jonathan Brouillette I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    A J5 outscored 25 level 5 teams including 17 of the Worlds teams at CDE Mid Atlantic in Richmond last weekend. My point is again if they change Worlds age to 14, the Worlds division will become a joke and J5 will dominate. The most skilled and motivated athletes will spend up to 5 years or so on J5 and average 2 on Worlds. My solution would be to require skill sets on a Worlds team for every athlete. If your highest score during the year was an 89 you should not be going to Worlds. These opinions are mine and do not represent any establishment.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. tealandgold

tealandgold Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree that J5 will become a lot stronger and a bigger division. Especially if the junior bottom age stays the same. In that case, the J5 will still be able to use the tiny, young flyers while Worlds teams will have to lift girls more their size. I still don't think it will dominate nor do I think the Worlds teams will become a joke.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 11:42 AM