All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

but like someone said early, worlds shouldnt be an open invitation. If kids want to quit cheer and focus on school then yes by all means you do what you have to do, but allstar cheer shouldnt change the rules just so 12/13 year old suzy can experience worlds before high school. Look at other sports, a lot of those teens/young adults who have success at an early age, arent demanding the rules be changed for them. They manage both school/life/work/whatever whether they hit their peak at 15 or 18 or 21.
But they are changing the rules— because 12/13 year old Suzy can go to worlds today. That’s kind of the point, if the age grid was always 14 then everyone would be on the same page. It’s that the age grid appears to be fluid and that uncertainty doesn’t sit well with some people. To me it’s similar to a town changing the kindergarten cut off age and telling parents in June who thought their 5 year was starting kindergarten in September that in they have to wait another year. I can bet all parents wouldn’t be thrilled with the idea even if there was valid reasons for moving it.
In the end it is what it is, but I do think there are valid concerns on the opposing side.

Having to wait a year to start school, figure out another year of day care, etc. is drastically different than waiting to move from a j5 to a worlds team.
Both result in having to alter plans- maybe not the the same level But still an adjustment. Changing the age grid isn’t earth shattering but I do think there needs to be some recognition that it affects some people directly in an immediately tangible way and it kind of stinks for them.

Last edited:
If you're an elite athlete, which, lets be honest, level 5 is the elite of cheerleading, waiting a few more years to go to the elite event (worlds) shouldn't be a problem for you. The stories I've heard from the Olympics this week of kids who technically qualified for Sochi but were too young to go based on IOC rules... those kids didn't just say screw it, because I can't go at 13 I'm never snowboarding again. They kept going and now qualified for the that level.

There are kids who at 13 can throw skills in a half pipe that we don't see this week because of their age, and I'll bet that not being able to go to the Olympics won't cause them to quit. They're still going to be happy with their X Games medals etc.

Every sport has age and skill limitations or requirements. And as much as those who don't fit into those regulations may not like it, it's part of the deal. And if you have an athlete who doesn't want to stick with a sport because they can't go to worlds until they're 14, 15 or 21, then maybe this won't be the sport for them forever. Tons of athletes across all disciplines reach a certain level and walk away for a variety of reasons. Physical or financial burn out, injury, wanting to be a teenager, these aren't unique to cheerleading, they're universal for athletes.

The reality is, we'll get whatever age grid and rules we get, and we'll all live with it, and adapt. That's what's always happened. The USASF is in a no win situation because regardless of what they do, someone somewhere will be miserable about how it impacts *them* without seeing the overall implications for the sport.

I'm excited to see what they come up with tomorrow. Granted I'm also Canadian, and what the USASF does may not impact my gym and teams the same way

Just wanted to add: We've all heard of Simone Biles, right? :p Girl missed London age requirements by how many months, and didn't decide to not attempt to make a run for Rio.......

But they are changing the rules— because 12/13 year old Suzy can go to worlds today. That’s kind of the point, if the age grid was always 14 then everyone would be on the same page. It’s that the age grid appears to be fluid and that uncertainty doesn’t sit well with some people. To me it’s similar to a town changing the kindergarten cut off age and telling parents in June who thought their 5 year was starting kindergarten in September that in they have to wait another year. I can bet all parents wouldn’t be thrilled with the idea even if there was valid reasons for moving it.
In the end it is what it is, but I do think there are valid concerns on the opposing side.

This sport is in its infancy compared to most others and is experiencing growing pains. Figure skating changed an entire evaluation system after decades and everyone was fine.

The NFL, NHL and MLB change rules regularly to grow and adapt to the needs and challenges of their league.

If we’re not evolving with the current needs and challenges of Cheerleading, what’s the point?

We’re talking about the elite. The best.

Personally I don’t understand the rush to have kids that young be that elite, and that’s a whole other issue. I understand that it happens. But maybe, just maybe, kids and parents won’t feel pressure to have a double by 10 and and make it to worlds. Maybe they’ll be able to have fun and take it a little easier in their developing minds and bodies. Maybe parents won’t be spending tens of thousands of dollars on privates and travel to get these skills and competitions for 6 or 7 years of a child’s life.

I don’t know what will happen. This won’t impact as many athletes as people seem to think. Look at the NCA schedule. Pages and pages long and the vast majority aren’t at level 5. Those are the athletes we should cater to. They’re the bread and butter of a gym. At least they are in ours.

This sport is in its infancy compared to most others and is experiencing growing pains. Figure skating changed an entire evaluation system after decades and everyone was fine.

The NFL, NHL and MLB change rules regularly to grow and adapt to the needs and challenges of their league.

If we’re not evolving with the current needs and challenges of Cheerleading, what’s the point?

We’re talking about the elite. The best.

Personally I don’t understand the rush to have kids that young be that elite, and that’s a whole other issue. I understand that it happens. But maybe, just maybe, kids and parents won’t feel pressure to have a double by 10 and and make it to worlds. Maybe they’ll be able to have fun and take it a little easier in their developing minds and bodies. Maybe parents won’t be spending tens of thousands of dollars on privates and travel to get these skills and competitions for 6 or 7 years of a child’s life.

I don’t know what will happen. This won’t impact as many athletes as people seem to think. Look at the NCA schedule. Pages and pages long and the vast majority aren’t at level 5. Those are the athletes we should cater to. They’re the bread and butter of a gym. At least they are in ours.
I’m not saying that everything won’t be ok and that in the long run this doesn’t improves the sport. However, there seems to be a need to diminish the feelings of those who are directly affected by the rule change in the near future. Believe me I’m typically a “suck it up buttercup” lady but I can appreciate that there are kids that are sad and feeling “punished” through no fault of their own. And for those kids I have feel for- my daughter is right at the age and skill level so maybe it’s because it’s her peer group (although not her directly) is affected and I know these kids personally. They aren’t brats wanting instant gratification and their moms aren’t Susie moms- they are talented cheerleaders who set lofty goals for themselves and achieved them.
I’m clearly in the minority on this issue and that’s ok. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. Just expressing some of my thoughts.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add: We've all heard of Simone Biles, right? :p Girl missed London age requirements by how many months, and didn't decide to not attempt to make a run for Rio.......

Just for perspective...while we often compare World's to the Olympics of cheerleading...in reality, it's not. World level cheerleaders may go on to cheer in college and they may get a job in the industry. I'm not sure this statistic even exists, but I'd say the majority don't fit into those categories.

Being an Olympic athlete opens up an athletes ability to gain sponsorship's, endorsements and opportunities to propel successful careers ie. public speaking, writing books, network tv gigs...etc. Even being on the National or International Team can open up these types of opportunities on top of the small stipend they receive for participating.

So I don't think the Olympic comparison holds much weight. I get why kiddos would be disappointed about the potential age change, but in the end, everyone will survive one way or another.

I’m not saying that everything won’t be ok and that in the long run this doesn’t improves the sport. However, there seems to be a need to diminish the feelings of those who are directly affected by the rule change in the near future. Believe me I’m typically a “suck it up buttercup” lady but I can appreciate that there are kids that are sad and feeling “punished” through no fault of their own. And for those kids I have feel for- my daughter is right at the age and skill level so maybe it’s because it’s her peer group (although not her directly) is affected and I know these kids personally. They aren’t brats wanting instant gratification and their moms aren’t Susie moms- they are talented cheerleaders who set lofty goals for themselves and achieved them.
I’m clearly in the minority on this issue and that’s ok. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. Just expressing some of my thoughts.
I get it, it's hard when you have a plan for yourself and then through no fault of your own it's changed. I remember when they raised the Olympic age in gymnastics from 15 to 16 and thinking it sucked for those girls that now had to wait four more years before they could attempt to make the Olympic team. I personally think raising the age is a good thing though.

Just for perspective...while we often compare World's to the Olympics of cheerleading...in reality, it's not. World level cheerleaders may go on to cheer in college and they may get a job in the industry. I'm not sure this statistic even exists, but I'd say the majority don't fit into those categories.

Being an Olympic athlete opens up an athletes ability to gain sponsorship's, endorsements and opportunities to propel successful careers ie. public speaking, writing books, network tv gigs...etc. Even being on the National or International Team can open up these types of opportunities on top of the small stipend they receive for participating.

So I don't think the Olympic comparison holds much weight. I get why kiddos would be disappointed about the potential age change, but in the end, everyone will survive one way or another.
what other youth sports have strict age brackets though... i mean outside of gymnastics and cheerleading the only other sport i did was show jumping, but it too had age brackets for certain levels of competition.

what other youth sports have strict age brackets though... i mean outside of gymnastics and cheerleading the only other sport i did was show jumping, but it too had age brackets for certain levels of competition.

Sorta, kinda, running. The governing body one of the organization falls under dictates distances by age. She is currently running a series and even though she can run longer than a 5K, if she does before she's 14, she can't earn points for it.

That isn't identical, but it's the only other sport that I have a lot of direct experience with.

ETA: Gymnastics has a pretty fluid age grid when it comes to levels. You can be 7 doing a level 2 routine or you can be 7 doing a level 6 routine. So there is more room to move around by 7-8-9 unless you're into elites and then you're dealing with USAG and USOC rules.

Last edited:
Any traveling sport teams usually has strict age brackets. Maybe rec leagues are less strict, but there were for sure age cut offs for travelling baseball and basketball.

I get it, it's hard when you have a plan for yourself and then through no fault of your own it's changed. I remember when they raised the Olympic age in gymnastics from 15 to 16 and thinking it sucked for those girls that now had to wait four more years before they could attempt to make the Olympic team. I personally think raising the age is a good thing though.
US Soccer just made changes two seasons ago to be the same as the rest of the world and leagues are still recovering. It used to be based on school grade but now it is based on birth year. My 14 year old has a February b-day, is in 8th grade and plays on a 2004 boys team. Our school cutoff is December 1st, there are a few boys in his grade who turned 14 in December who have to play on a 2003 team rather than with their friends on a club team. In many ways it works to their disadvantage especially at this young teen age because they are now the youngest on the team - there are boys who have almost a full year of maturity of them. At least they are all together for school teams but still it had to be hard on them going from being the oldest one season to being the youngest the next.

US Soccer just made changes two seasons ago to be the same as the rest of the world and leagues are still recovering. It used to be based on school grade but now it is based on birth year. My 14 year old has a February b-day, is in 8th grade and plays on a 2004 boys team. Our school cutoff is December 1st, there are a few boys in his grade who turned 14 in December who have to play on a 2003 team rather than with their friends on a club team. In many ways it works to their disadvantage especially at this young teen age because they are now the youngest on the team - there are boys who have almost a full year of maturity of them. At least they are all together for school teams but still it had to be hard on them going from being the oldest one season to being the youngest the next.
My son was directly affected by the age change they made in soccer. He has a very late in the year birthday. He is now the youngest on his team playing mostly with kids a grade ahead of him. He also isn’t playing with any of his friends that he’s been on teams with since he was 6 years old. Coupled with the fact that he hasn’t hit puberty yet and is playing with sophomores in high school, it’s been an interesting adjustment.

Last edited:
Back