All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It doesn't say it on the age grid directly, but it is usually listed on the pages following that have all the division splits and such. But typically, the age is for that specific year. So in order to compete on an Open 5 team any point in 2018 (including the beginning of next season), you have to be 14. So if you turn 13 after August 31 and are therefore ineligible for a Senior 5 team, you can't compete on an open team until January 1, 2019.

I wonder what background checks they mean. Proof of age, criminal record checks, child welfare? Is this designed to keep creepy people away from under-agers? I wonder who is responsible for paying for this, as I know there is a cost to them in my area. And I worry that this will create a false feeling of safety for some when not everyone has a record.

It's probably the same requirements as the background check for coaches (at least in the US). I'm sure athletes will be on the hook for it.

I couldn't even get my team to register with the USASF until 4 days before we first competed. Getting them all background checked is going to be a nightmare.

I think it's positive that they are making an effort to identify criminals. I don't know if they they do that now for international. It would make me feel a little better if I was a parent of an underage child on a team with adults knowing that they did this. Likely the cost would be part of the fees paid by these athletes. I know it won't catch everyone but hopefully some will get caught or at least deter those from trying out that have a record.

They don't require them for athletes currently, no.

Yeah, I'm just realizing it says December 31, 2019. That doesn't make any sense. Why would you base it on a birthday you won't even have during the season? That seems like a typo or something. LOL ‍♀️

Most non-us countries base age on the "Year of Competition" - this works when your season doesn't overlap year, but is weird for the US (you could have a 12 year old compete in January, but not the month before in December). So USASF made the age based on the year of Worlds. It aligns better with how most international teams do their age grids.

Last edited:
So what would be different in someone going to summit 6-7 years verses worlds (and getting a worlds bid is actually easier)? Also if j5 moved to worlds...well then cp would still be going 6 times if she started at 12. Just some food for thought. She will end up at Disney for 8 plus years regardless if they change worlds age or not. But again, in reality what percentage of 10 year olds have the skills to be on a level 5 team? I guess I just don't understand changing the world's bottom age when most of the reasoning for this as a good idea is about younger ones being on a senior team. Why not just raise the senior age to 12 across the board??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
So what would be different in someone going to summit 6-7 years verses worlds (and getting a worlds bid is actually easier)? Also if j5 moved to worlds...well then cp would still be going 6 times if she started at 12. Just some food for thought. She will end up at Disney for 8 plus years regardless if they change worlds age or not. But again, in reality what percentage of 10 year olds have the skills to be on a level 5 team? I guess I just don't understand changing the world's bottom age when most of the reasoning for this as a good idea is about younger ones being on a senior team. Why not just raise the senior age to 12 across the board??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
We have many friends that have never even been to Summit. My CP has been on two teams in particular that were successful and didn’t get bids. Not all gyms chase summit bids in the way all worlds team expect to go to worlds. I know a mega gym that doesn’t attend summit unless it is a paid bid. I see 5-7 10 year olds with level 5 skills at our gym and so I’m sure there are many across the country. Level 5 skills do not necessarily make a successful level 5 athlete. Finally, Summit isn’t worlds. The push to go to Summit every year has become overwhelming to many parents and gyms and while I am excited for my cp to have the experience again I would also be happy not going back until she competes at Worlds.

Last edited:
It's a shame that International teams now have a younger minimum age then senior teams. I hate that a division that used to be a great fit for kids who had aged out and were looking for a lower cost/lower commitment option has become something entirely different.
I would like to see it be the same as it is for the International divisions and then 17+ across the board for the Open divisions. I believe the biggest thing holding that back is the non-US teams that may not have enough for either a senior team or a team of 17+ so it allows both. But, keeping it to 17+ for US teams would be great. I would have thought with the addition of the Open divisions they would have made that change, but I guess not.

I also don't know if anybody else noticed in the note at the bottom of the age grid. It says that background checks are an eligibility requirement for any adults on an open team.

I'm starting to wonder more and more if a lot of these age changes are due to insurance requirements. Churches had to start satisfying background checks about 5 years ago on anyone that is 18 or older that is in any of their children programs to get insurance. It makes sense with better technology, the places, ages and claims on things such as injury type and sport, and child predatory crimes would influence insurance underwriters decisions and their requirements.

I would totally be okay with them raising the age of all open teams to 17. Probably won’t happen since all the SM that have kids under 17 would freak out. Where would their precious child fly now? Since they already left multiple gyms because Susie couldn’t compete with the 12 year olds. Here is a thought, why not be a team player and learn how to base?

Not worlds related but do you think the age grid change will end the few remaining youth 5s? 9-11 years old is a tight age division to get enough flyers, bases and backspots with level 5 skills.

Not worlds related but do you think the age grid change will end the few remaining youth 5s? 9-11 years old is a tight age division to get enough flyers, bases and backspots with level 5 skills.
How many Y5's are there at this point? Two? Three? I know CEA has YE and WC has Twinkles, but the other gyms who historically had Y5's have left the division (MDT, ECE, Cheer Tyme, Cheer Athletics). I think CEA and WC will be able to continue in the YE division, but I don't know if they'll want to or not.

I would totally be okay with them raising the age of all open teams to 17. Probably won’t happen since all the SM that have kids under 17 would freak out. Where would their precious child fly now? Since they already left multiple gyms because Susie couldn’t compete with the 12 year olds. Here is a thought, why not be a team player and learn how to base?
the age of 17 would also affect the small gyms from making an IOC5 who dont have enough under 19 to make a worlds team.

I think this is a large reason for the dramatic increase in # of open teams and use of youngers on open teams in recent years. I know cost is a factor for some but I would love to know how many "youngers" are bases on these teams.

the age of 17 would also affect the small gyms from making an IOC5 who dont have enough under 19 to make a worlds team.
but maybe they shouldn't be going then... I mean I get it... worlds is "the dream"... but look at how many teams actually advance (from US) in the IOC categories.... The odds are not in your favor. And if you are a smaller gym... even less so. So you are paying a TON of money to get there and go up against the Top Guns and Calis and CAs.

I am not saying one way or the other is the best... just thinking out loud. Also thinking those that get the $ are going to do their best to ensure the most people remain in the "sport" paying the $ whether it is logical or not.

but maybe they shouldn't be going then... I mean I get it... worlds is "the dream"... but look at how many teams actually advance (from US) in the IOC categories.... The odds are not in your favor. And if you are a smaller gym... even less so. So you are paying a TON of money to get there and go up against the Top Guns and Calis and CAs.

I am not saying one way or the other is the best... just thinking out loud. Also thinking those that get the $ are going to do their best to ensure the most people remain in the "sport" paying the $ whether it is logical or not.
sorry but WOW!!!! ......we actually usually do well, FP twice, and best was 7th/8th in the US and 13th in the country one year.
We fundraise and work hard! We dont go to move to finals but we r proud of what we have accomplished as a small gym!

My CP is almost 15 but weighs 80 lbs soaking wet. She has toothpicks for arms. She's actually REALLY self conscious about it and would KILL to be asked to lift someone up or to be considered strong. She is also not the most powerful tumbler (the aforementioned toothpick arms that come with stick legs too) So her "place" has been flyer because she's light and she's luckily pretty decent at it. She's fully ready that someday they may need her to do something else someday but, honestly, they probably wont. Even the 11/12 year olds on the Sr teams are not much smaller. So its not always "fly or die" its like - where does my weird body kid fit on a team? Hey, they make a teeny tiny team of the smallest kids in the gym and she can backspot - she'd totally be down for that. :-P

It's a shame that International teams now have a younger minimum age then senior teams. I hate that a division that used to be a great fit for kids who had aged out and were looking for a lower cost/lower commitment option has become something entirely different.

Wasn't that the original intent? Crazy.

Back