Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh

www.CHEERMaD.com
Disney-Social-Media-027-680x1024.jpg

Sports Mom Bloggers aka Social Media Influencers: Molly Gold, Yolanda Olson, Lisa D. Welsh (CHEERMaD) Mary Donnellan and Emily Vanek, in front of the "Globe" at Worlds.
It doesn’t seem possible but it’s been a month since the USASF’s Cheerleading Worlds Championships, or “Worlds” as everyone calls it.
In my other “world,” the one of social media’s micro-blogging platforms {known better to you and I as Certifiably CHEERMaD}, a month is akin to many, many light years in immediate tweets and tumblers, Fierce Board and facebook posts.
According to TNW’s Insider, one of the mechanisms that track these types of things, in the last month “two macro milestones have been reached: 20 billion blog posts and 50 million blogs” exist now where none existed only a few years ago (in earth time).
And amazingly, out of all those millions and millions of blogs, Certifiably CHEERMaD is the only one specifically made for cheer moms and cheer dads.

We blog ~notice the fast fingers on all those mobile devices~...
According to Disney Social Media marketing executives, sports mom bloggers in general are few and far between so they invited a group of us sports mom bloggers to attend a special tour of its ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. On April 28, Emily Vanek, Mary Donnellan, Molly Gold, Yolanda Olson and I received a private “All Access” experience.

...and tweet because we just can't help ourselves!
Since the tour coincided with Worlds, I was also encouraged to invite anyone I considered to be a “social media influencer” of cheer. I asked King Harrison, Fierce Board webmaster; Andre Carter, of Spirit Post; Fernando Molina, vice-chair of the USASF’s Parent Action Committee; and Patrick Cowherd of The Cheerleading Agency. Both King and Andre had previous commitments that weekend~ King was coaching the Stingrays’ Small Senior All Girl Orange to a Gold World’s Championship and Andre was judging, respectively. But, in true Disney fashion, Fernando, Patrick and I were treated as if we were the most important, if not only, guests at the park that day.

Fernando Molina
Driving around in golf-carts, the full group of eight “social media influencers” were shown highlights of the 250-acre facility’s multiple competition venues.

Patrick Cowherd
In addition to the HP Field House and the Jostens Center-which we were familiar with because those arena’s hosts Worlds~ the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex includes Champion Stadium, home to Major League Baseball’s Atlanta Braves spring training, the Hess Sports Fields, a track & field facility, a tennis complex and a baseball/softball sportsplex.

Cali Allstars graciously moved in front of the ESPN tennis courts for a CHEERMaD photo.
As we cruised around the professional-sports-quality grounds, we came upon some teams making good use of the soft, pristine grass for extra practice time, including California Allstars with Coach Marlon Biete. The extra time paid off: the next day Cali’s Senior Small Coed Level 5′s Smoed won Worlds and three other teams won Silver: Senior Large Coed; Small Senior All Girl Elite; and Senior Medium ACES. Cali’s International Coed Inspire placed 6th in that division.

Becky and Rachel's CHEERMaD
Next our group was treated to a presentation at the ESPN Innovation Lab, a real-world testing ground for the ESPN Emerging Technology Group that develops ground-breaking on-air products like Ball Track and ESPN Snap Zoom, as well as development of its new 3-D television channel. The technology used at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will eventually then be mainstreamed for its regular broadcasts.
In addition, the complex features 56 high-definition cameras and 40 high-definition video screens, including three jumbo screens, which can capture and display footage from any event taking place at the complex. These were prominently put into use for Worlds’ Awards ceremonies.
The goal is to provide youth athletes a one-of-a-kind youth sports experience that leaves them feeling as if they have reached the big time and made it onto ESPN: the camera and video screens, as well as a 20-zone audio system, are controlled through the state-of-the-art HD and 3-D Production Center with direct links to ESPN facilities in Bristol, Conn., New York and Los Angeles.

Minnerva "Mini" Van
What this means for youth athletes is they play on the same quality playing surfaces and receive the same quality television coverage as professional athletes. But more than that, there’s that Disney touch wherever you go, such as the parent welcome center where we met Minerva “Mini” Van, the ultimate Cheer Mom. We were also treated to the exception to the rule, venue-food and enjoyed fresh salads, fruit and sandwiches that was a nice change from the typical concession-stand fare at competitions.
Disney Sports annually stages more than 350 events and has accommodated approximately 70 different sports and two millions athletes from more than 70 countries. Among those events are Chelsea Football Club events, the Pop Warner Super Bowl, AAU National Championships, the ESPN RISE Games, USSSA events and the Walt Disney World Marathon, one of the top marathons in the nation.
What was most clear to me during this tour and luncheon was how much the Disney Sports Attractions personnel wanted to listen to parents and, more importantly, put our thoughts into use. Among things discussed was growth opportunities for future cheer events (how easy would it be to create a “Dome” over Champions Stadium now that the popularity of cheerleading is outgrowing its venue? The answer: Doable!).
With champion quarterbacks saying they are “going to Disney World” as the only thing better than winning the Superbowl, the road to “Worlds” at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex is the only imaginable, ultimate destination of a cheerleading season. If anyone can bring all these “Worlds” together, it’s Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Back