All-Star Worlds Extra Small Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 27, 2013
So I was under the impression that if a cheer gym has more than one Worlds team you can not be in the extra small division. Is this true?

So I was under the impression that if a cheer gym has more than one Worlds team you can not be in the extra small division. Is this true?
Not at Worlds at least. I believe there's not really a restriction during the regular season though. Like if a team has less than 14 athletes they can compete x-small during the season, but then must compete in small at Worlds.

Not at Worlds at least. I believe there's not really a restriction during the regular season though. Like if a team has less than 14 athletes they can compete x-small during the season, but then must compete in small at Worlds.

but then the rule about having to compete in the division you receive your worlds' bid becomes murky. If you have 14 members and are worlds team #2 for your gym, but the competition splits the division and puts you in XS, then you win and get a bid... it'd be in the XS division. If going for a bid, you should be forced into the small senior division if you will be competing in small senior at worlds.

That rule only applies to Worlds, and only if you have more than one team representing your gym at Worlds. So yes, you can compete in XS all year, get a bid in extra small and if another team in your gym gets a bid to worlds you will compete in the Small category at World's.

From the Rules:
SENIOR LEVEL 5 (All-Girl & Co-Ed) Divisions: These divisions will be offered as stand alone divisions on the age grid. Event Producers will follow the combination guidelines at events to determine the best course of action for promoting competition amongst the registered teams. Please see page 7 for the Combining Guidelines. XSmall 5 and XSmall Co-Ed 5 are new offerings for the 2017-2018 season and will be offered at the 2018 Cheerleading Worlds®. Programs with more than one team at the 2018 Cheerleading Worlds® are not eligible to compete in XS divisions. Teams that have 14 or fewer members and are from a Program with 2 or more teams at the Cheerleading Worlds® will compete in a Small Division

but then the rule about having to compete in the division you receive your worlds' bid becomes murky. If you have 14 members and are worlds team #2 for your gym, but the competition splits the division and puts you in XS, then you win and get a bid... it'd be in the XS division. If going for a bid, you should be forced into the small senior division if you will be competing in small senior at worlds.
True, though I remember when they announced the new divisions and the rules with them it was included that if a gym has a second team receive a bid and both teams decide to go to worlds, that the extra small team would then be placed in the small division. So to me, that sounded like the typical rule of having to compete in the division you earned a bid in wouldn't apply.

Third bullet point under stipulations here
The Cheerleading Worlds | New Opportunities for Programs

That rule only applies to Worlds, and only if you have more than one team representing your gym at Worlds. So yes, you can compete in XS all year, get a bid in extra small and if another team in your gym gets a bid to worlds you will compete in the Small category at World's.

From the Rules:
SENIOR LEVEL 5 (All-Girl & Co-Ed) Divisions: These divisions will be offered as stand alone divisions on the age grid. Event Producers will follow the combination guidelines at events to determine the best course of action for promoting competition amongst the registered teams. Please see page 7 for the Combining Guidelines. XSmall 5 and XSmall Co-Ed 5 are new offerings for the 2017-2018 season and will be offered at the 2018 Cheerleading Worlds®. Programs with more than one team at the 2018 Cheerleading Worlds® are not eligible to compete in XS divisions. Teams that have 14 or fewer members and are from a Program with 2 or more teams at the Cheerleading Worlds® will compete in a Small Division
Posted at the same time, but yes, this is how I understood it as well.

Back