All-Star Worlds Fever (and Not The Good Kind)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2010
Something that REALLY bothers me:

-Team competes a semi-alright routine all year and gets a worlds bid.
-Right when the routine starts looking clean, coach decides that they dont like the routine anymore, and calls in choreographer to completely change the routine, mixes new music and buys new uniforms.
-Coach lets team "show off new routine, expecting it to be worlds perfect, and kids look like a HOT MESS on the floor.
-Coach STORMS OFF FLOOR in a raging fury and blames the kids for being "out of shape."

(Seriously watched coaches stop the music right in the middle of the routine and scream for them to "get off the floor, you dont deserve to be there".)

Every injury I have seen these past couple of weeks has happened in a worlds team showoff.
Dont get me wrong, change is good. But changing your entire routine and skills difficulty drastically a month before worlds and expecting your kids to be able to be perfect is NOT FAIR and NOT SAFE.
I understand you want to go to win, but putting that much pressure on kids 3 weeks before the biggest weekend of there life's is not the right way to handle it.

TAKE A BC POWDER, OR TYLENOL TO BRING DOWN THAT WORLDS FEVER A BIT.

-Jenna W.

Something that REALLY bothers me:

-Team competes a semi-alright routine all year and gets a worlds bid.
-Right when the routine starts looking clean, coach decides that they dont like the routine anymore, and calls in choreographer to completely change the routine, mixes new music and buys new uniforms.
-Coach lets team "show off new routine, expecting it to be worlds perfect, and kids look like a HOT MESS on the floor.
-Coach STORMS OFF FLOOR in a raging fury and blames the kids for being "out of shape."

(Seriously watched coaches stop the music right in the middle of the routine and scream for them to "get off the floor, you dont deserve to be there".)

Every injury I have seen these past couple of weeks has happened in a worlds team showoff.
Dont get me wrong, change is good. But changing your entire routine and skills difficulty drastically a month before worlds and expecting your kids to be able to be perfect is NOT FAIR and NOT SAFE.
I understand you want to go to win, but putting that much pressure on kids 3 weeks before the biggest weekend of there life's is not the right way to handle it.

TAKE A BC POWDER, OR TYLENOL TO BRING DOWN THAT WORLDS FEVER A BIT.

-Jenna W.

This goes along with my execution post.

I saw a team that we competed against 3 times this season with a mostly new routine all 3 times...thought i was cracking up but checked the videos and YUP...they changed it so often but hasn't hit clean yet...and they are a VERY good team~~

Umm ok I understand maybe changing a stunt sequence and maybe a pyramid element...but changing everything?! It could and probably is just me but, learning and competing 2.5 minutes of a routine with 2.5 minutes of counts and motions and music and such is a lot to master, and changing it 3 weeks before the big dance doesn't seem like a good coaching decision...no your limits

I remember my senior year of HS when we went to states, we changed a bunch of formations two weeks in..when the music didn't start right and we decided to keep going, my mind completely wiped and I couldn't remember where I was supposed to go AT ALL, which is COMPLETELY unlike me (might have had something to do with the horrendous pain ripping through my back)..my coach should have been so ambitious with us FROM THE BEGINNING!

I haven't seen it pay off for many teams. It did pay off well for Supercells last year though! But I think they left the stunt and pyramid the same or similar.

Honestly there is little to NO payoff to changing your routine that much at this point in the year. Worlds is an execution HEAVY event. More than NCA (in theory). Every motion or dance move you adjust and change is less time to be perfect at it. Worlds just doesn't reward new choreography and uniforms and all that stuff.

It is one of those fun things people chat about, but really, who won because of new choreography? If pieces need to be adjusted or changed becasue they are not good, I get it. SE got a new dance cause SE needed a new dance. Spice fixed some choreography because some transitions were bad because of the last minute greenie adds.

Even new uniforms I think are a bit silly. When you unveil and wear a new and different uniform at a major event you are putting so much external pressure on a routine that doesnt need to be there. All this hype about a dang uniform... hasnt worked out well for a lot of teams this year.

PS - Yes Fire and Rust have new uniforms for worlds... only because we didn't have any otherwise. All the old ones fell apart and didnt have enough to fit both teams. Thats why I liked posting the picture of them BEFORE worlds. It isnt a big deal that we have new ones now.

PS - Yes Fire and Rust have new uniforms for worlds... only because we didn't have any otherwise. All the old ones fell apart and didnt have enough to fit both teams. Thats why I liked posting the picture of them BEFORE worlds. It isnt a big deal that we have new ones now.
I missed this... where are the pics?!

The uniform thread.

Honestly there is little to NO payoff to changing your routine that much at this point in the year. Worlds is an execution HEAVY event. More than NCA (in theory). Every motion or dance move you adjust and change is less time to be perfect at it. Worlds just doesn't reward new choreography and uniforms and all that stuff.

It is one of those fun things people chat about, but really, who won because of new choreography? If pieces need to be adjusted or changed becasue they are not good, I get it. SE got a new dance cause SE needed a new dance. Spice fixed some choreography because some transitions were bad because of the last minute greenie adds.

Even new uniforms I think are a bit silly. When you unveil and wear a new and different uniform at a major event you are putting so much external pressure on a routine that doesnt need to be there. All this hype about a dang uniform... hasnt worked out well for a lot of teams this year.

Agreed.
On Varsity scoring system, The clean team will always win.

changing this much before worlds is like creating a whole new routine and then going to your first competition and worlds shouldnt be the first "sloppy" competition your team goes to it should be the last cleanest routine that your gym shows to everyone of how good and clean you guys are. And how much better you have gotten from the beginning of the season.
make your routine a worlds routine from the beginning so you can go to worlds and be CLEAN and FIERCE!

I agree. And although I am for doing something new and flashy at Worlds, that doesn't involve changing your whole entire routine. It definitely adds so much unnecessary pressure on the team... heck, I'm a nervous wreck going full out at the gym for the first time after changing something! Worlds is enough pressure as it is, and coaches don't need to make it 15x worse by making unnecessary changes to the routine the team has come to master over the season

Back