All-Star Wrist Pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mommadonna

Cheer Parent
Nov 13, 2010
Hey...
Tell me about dealing with wrist pain. My CP likely has a ganglion cyst in one or both wrists, and she can't put pressure on the right one at all. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks!

If it's a cyst, the only thing you can do is either get it aspirated or just let it go away on it's own, which can take a few weeks of resting it. Not much else you can really do with it.

There’s two treatments:

Needle aspiration

Surgical removal

Both have a very high percentage of reoccurrence.

Not a lot you can do about them except tolerate them or accept a temporary fix.

I agree with all of the above. I've had them in my toe and hand. The toe was annoying, but not painful, so I let it go on it's own. I had four in my hand. Three of them hurt any time I would grip anything...steering wheel, door knob, stair rail. I had those aspirated. It wasn't too bad of a procedure and provided instant relief and use of my hand again.

I agree with all of the above. I've had them in my toe and hand. The toe was annoying, but not painful, so I let it go on it's own. I had four in my hand. Three of them hurt any time I would grip anything...steering wheel, door knob, stair rail. I had those aspirated. It wasn't too bad of a procedure and provided instant relief and use of my hand again.
My CP's don't show as lumps but instead the doctor thinks they are deep between the bones in her hand. She said they can't reach those to aspirate them. It's crazy. She was absolutely fine, then one day she woke up like this and it won't go away! No injury that she knows of... Weight bearing causes it to hurt too much to tumble. She has an MRI Tuesday. Hopefully it's not a darn cyst and we can just get steroids or something.

I had a ganglion cyst on my heel years ago. Best course of treatment is surgical removal.

I have one on the inside of each of my wrists and I cannot get them removed because they are right on top of a nerve and oh boy they hurt a ton. mine shrink and grow on their own, but when they get really big I’ve found that putting frankincense oil on they helps them shrink to the point of them not hurting. Hope this helps!

I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist right after my surgery. It went away pretty quickly (a week) on it's own. It hasn't come back yet. I used Voltaren on my hand to reduce the inflammation.

CP had a few when she was a gymnast. one was painful because of location, others were just annoying. They went away on their own, some faster than others. She hasn't had one in years.
There's an old wives tale in the gymnastics community that you hit them with a Bible ( or a big book). I wouldn't recommend it.
I had one on my finger that wouldn't go away. I had it surgically removed. Never had another.

CP had a few when she was a gymnast. one was painful because of location, others were just annoying. They went away on their own, some faster than others. She hasn't had one in years.
There's an old wives tale in the gymnastics community that you hit them with a Bible ( or a big book). I wouldn't recommend it.
I had one on my finger that wouldn't go away. I had it surgically removed. Never had another.

Yeah! They're often called "bible thumpers" because thats what people used to do back in the day to burst the sac and minimize the cyst. Can't do much for a ganglion cyst but either let it go away or surgically remove it. If she can't put pressure on her wrist at all though I'd get a second opinion... ganglion cysts on their own don't cause pain - it's just their location that can irritate surrounding tissues. She may very well have a ganglion cyst but also have another underlying issue causing the pain

Update: CP's MRI came back positive for a deep ganglion cyst between the wrist bones last Tuesday and she had it surgically removed on Thursday. Almost one week of her 6 weeks away from tumbling and stunting is done. 5 more weeks to go! Thanks for the advice and input!

I can't say anything except I feel for her. I had bad wrists for my entire career and it was so hard. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Back