Wrist Support For Backspot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 6, 2013
My daughter is a level 2 backspot and recently had a flyer come down hard and her wrist bent the wrong way. I am wanting to know what is a really good support to purchase to help protect the wrists and hands? She is only 8 so I'm not having any luck with adult size supports. Ideas?

My daughter is a level 2 backspot and recently had a flyer come down hard and her wrist bent the wrong way. I am wanting to know what is a really good support to purchase to help protect the wrists and hands? She is only 8 so I'm not having any luck with adult size supports. Ideas?

First I agree completely with what @MyGirlCheers said. I don't know that your CP could wear it during cheer, but if she was just trying to protect her wrist some while it heals, one of the 6 year olds at summer camp this year came in wearing her wrist support from her roller blading set and it was a perfect wrist brace, looked just like a wrist brace CP has somewhere around here.

As far as I know, it would need to be a completely soft support. The roller blade supports that we have had always had a hard plastic component.

What about athletic taping and decreasing the amount used each week? That would give soft support and decreasing the amount used would make her work a little harder/building strength as you wean from it.

One of the girls on my team swore by a wrist brace called "tiger paw." She was just saying yesterday that she needed to find it to bring in for one of the younger girls. I would definitely look into it; this girl had broken both wrists when younger and has a metal rod in her arm still and it worked for her!

Edit: it's tiger not bear paw... Here's the link
Tiger Paw Wrist Supports

One of the girls on my team swore by a wrist brace called "tiger paw." She was just saying yesterday that she needed to find it to bring in for one of the younger girls. I would definitely look into it; this girl had broken both wrists when younger and has a metal rod in her arm still and it worked for her!

Tiger Paw Wrist Supports

These were extremely popular with my gymnastics teammates when I was younger. Not sure how much they helped but probably half of my gymnastics friends wore them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with mygirlcheers and notyourcheermom. Not using it will just make it weaker, the taping as suggested earlier by twinklestars might work.

Tiger Paw Wrist Supports
I wore a tiger paw after I broke my wrist to help support it since it was my backspotting hand, I still use it sometimes when my wrist needs a little extra support due to weather conditions (I don't cheer anymore but previous injuries flame up when it's humid or raining) I wore it to one competition because it was 2 weeks after I got my cast off and was cleared.

I also forgot to mention on my previous comment that when my wrist was stronger I switched to KT tape for a couple weeks to help support but still be able to use it.

Tiger Paw Wrist Supports

I need to check this out!

Back