OT You Might Be A Sm/sd If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
You do the Tired Brag.

It's not a real brag, because then everyone would think you were bragging. Instead, you talk about how tired your kid is from doing so many awesome things.

I think these mom's are one of the absolute worst and I have had to teach myself how NOT to roll my eyes at them.

...when you decide the routine isn't good enough, so instead, you wait for the main coach to be out sick and take over practice. Like, walking out to the floor and choreoing the entire second half of the routine.

...when you hold a surprise practice in your basement...then force the parents to pay for it.

...when you contact the prior coach to b**** about the current coach and ask her to call the current coach to tell her all she did wrong...five minutes after awards.

*Yes, there is a story for every single one and for those who don't know me well; this is all from a Tiny 1 team*

I. Just. Can't.

So I have have been trying to figure out what the "S" stands for in SM/SD......please help a sister out.

You hear that something is a rule/policy/mandatory and you IMMEDIATELY go to work trying to make your kid the exception to that.

This is usually accomplished by raising your hand in the MIDDLE of the parent meeting to tell everyone why said rule or mandatory thing is not going to work for Suzy and ask if that's okay. You generally don't wait until afterwards. That's for normal moms. You NEED to tell that coach/advisor NOW that the rules/deadlines/whatever need to be altered for Suzy.

Non- Cheer Example: I recently agreed to assist with Homecoming Court. The staff member who runs it is on maternity leave, and her replacement needed a co-advisor to fill in when she can't be there.

As a result, I ran the parent informational meeting for Miss Freshman Homecoming (the ladies) last week. If a student is planning to run, the parent has to attend this meeting. This is a popular activity so there are quite a few girls and parents. We get to the section about required meetings and this happens:

Me: "There will be a short mandatory meeting after school on September 15th for students who submit applications to run for Freshman Court."

Suzy's Mom: *raises hand within two seconds* "Um, so Suzy has gymnastics that day and a dance class that night."

Why this bothers me:

1. That's not even a QUESTION. You're just well, telling me about your kid.

2. Did you need to do it in the middle of the meeting?

3. Did you expect me to say "oh just kidding, your kid doesn't need to come to this?"

Suzie's mom/Suzie's Dad . I always think of when will my Suzie tick tock?, but that video seems to have completely vanished.

@SL&AM I think you've shared a couple of those stories before

I have. Sadly our introduction to AS Cheer could literally be a best selling novel on everything NOT to do. I must thing of more stories; I know I have them...

I. Just. Can't.

So I have have been trying to figure out what the "S" stands for in SM/SD......please help a sister out.

S= Suzie for Suzie's Mom or Suzie's Dad

...when you decide the routine isn't good enough, so instead, you wait for the main coach to be out sick and take over practice. Like, walking out to the floor and choreoing the entire second half of the routine.

...when you hold a surprise practice in your basement...then force the parents to pay for it.

...when you contact the prior coach to b**** about the current coach and ask her to call the current coach to tell her all she did wrong...five minutes after awards.

*Yes, there is a story for every single one and for those who don't know me well; this is all from a Tiny 1 team*
SPILL. :enjoyshow:

My mom always did this too! I'm a visual learner so being able to see what I was doing was beneficial to be able to figure out what exactly my coach was telling me for corrections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's normal to video your kid from time to time...especially if THEY ask you to. What's not normal is the SM who stands up and blocks everyone else who is watching and videos almost the whole 2 hour practice. She also repeatedly turns around to tell you how she just has to do this for Suzie. Like I really care! Take your seat so the rest of us can see our little Suzies[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You create a tryout video for you child w/o their knowledge and send it in to all the world championship teams for which she is age eligible. Then when a team likes her, you quit your job and begin making relocation plans to whatever city the program is in before even telling your child.
Well if you told your kid it would ruin the surprise, duh.

**Sometimes I day dream Cheer Son is almost as good as Susie and then reality sets in**

The paid practice.

No, scratch that--all of them.

I know I've talked about that one before on the main forum's, long story short, Sm didn't believe the girl's practices enough before competition. CP's team practiced on the weekend, so if there was a comp, they'd go a full week before warm-ups. SM decided to hire the assist coach for a 'private' while inviting all the team members over to do their shorts (we were adding glitter cut outs to them) and let the girl's play. Well play turned into an actual practice, in her basement, and then charged the mom's after the fact like it was a private lesson.

Same SM waited until head coach was gone then ramrodded assist coach (she was young) on the floor. She then used what she'd seen on YouTube to try and re-do the second half of the routine.

Same SM and her SM friend (the friend I particularly hated and though I thought I was decent enough to keep it under wraps---even CP knows I hated this woman) are going back in forth in the parent's FB chat after awards. Mind you I'm at lunch with two other families on the team plus a brand new AS that just got hired (adult...at one point it went Head Coach, 2 Assistant coaches; one adult, one high schooler). My friend and I sneak to the bathroom to tell them to cool it, but by that point they'd already called our previous coach (she left because the military said to) and was relaying details about how horrible the comp was. I won't debate that it was a bad experience or that the routine had areas that could have been re-worked...but this was HC's first comp so I had faith it would be after the judges notes were read. HC had the most passive aggressive FB status by the end of the night because previous coach did call current coach. Head coach quit before the end of the season.

You create a tryout video for you child w/o their knowledge and send it in to all the world championship teams for which she is age eligible. Then when a team likes her, you quit your job and begin making relocation plans to whatever city the program is in before even telling your child.

I'm still kinda thrown about this...she deserves the SM's Epic Award or something. Maybe we can pitch in and mail her a trophy to the gym so we know she gets it.

Back