OT Young Coach Probz

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 26, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I am a young coach only being 20. I have been cheering since I was around 10 years old. I have been coaching since I was 17. You know the drill started out doing tumbling classes, then helping the minis while I was on the senior team in my gym. I started coaching a middle school team and coaching allstars teams. I have had some trouble getting respect and getting my older girls like ages 13 and older to take me seriously or listen when I ask them to do something. I don't want to come off as the mean coach that nobody can get close to but I want to learn how to draw the line when it comes to coaching. Can anybody share some experiences and ways they fixed this problem if it happened to them?

Always follow through. If you tell them to do something, and they don't do it, punish them. Once they know you will follow through, and will discipline them, they'll fall into line. They may get their feelings hurt in the very beginning, but that's only going to be bruised pride. They'll survive.

I started out coaching HS when I was fresh out of college.

NJ is right.

Start out firm.

You can always RELAX as the year goes on but it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to regain control if you start out super informal/lax and THEN try to be firm once you realize they're out of control/disrespectful.

Try to draw the line between friendship and coaching. You can be friendly with the older girls, but you shouldn't be their friend. They are not your peers nor are you theirs. That is an issue I have seen several young coaches have with their athletes.

Always follow through. If you tell them to do something, and they don't do it, punish them. Once they know you will follow through, and will discipline them, they'll fall into line. They may get their feelings hurt in the very beginning, but that's only going to be bruised pride. They'll survive.

Thanks! I think setting that first impression and high expectations makes a world of difference!

Have a sit down meeting and explain your expectations, and make sure it is clear that it is a 2-way street - that you expect respect, hard work, dedication, etc from them and they should expect the same from you. Talk together about what realistic goals the team should have for the season and what it will take to accomplish them. Let them know what the consequence is for eye rolling, talking back, late to practice, etc. and follow through. Personally, I am not a fan of team punishment in any of those cases, and feel it is better to make the individual condition and/or sit out until they are ready to be a team player. Plan some group bonding activities so they get to know you as an individual in a fun setting and not just someone "who is always yelling at them" (I know that isn't what you are doing but that is the mentality some kids have of any coach). Good luck!

Back