High School Your Hs Cheer Program?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
So, I went to a small high school, and quite frankly we were awful. I did all-stars, but 7th, 8th, and 12th grade, I did high school as well. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it was mainly due to my HS itself. There was a major lack in organization, spirit, technique, skilled coaches.

Now, there is a current coach, however, I know of a few of the current cheerleaders and they are very disappointed in her and the program. There isn't a vacancy as of right now, however, it is my understanding that there is potentially going to be one. I have a few friends that are interested in transforming my HS cheer program into something great and we are looking to at other successful HS programs to see exactly how they are running things so that if the option arises, we are ready.

So my question is, what does your typical year look like?

Tryouts - Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads?

** Sorry for this, It posted before I was ready to and didn't get the edit done in enough time ***

What I wanted it to say:

So, I went to a small high school, and quite frankly we were awful. I did all-stars, but 7th, 8th, and 12th grade, I did high school as well. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it was mainly due to my HS itself. There was a major lack in organization, spirit, technique, skilled coaches.

Now, there is a current coach, however, I know of a few of the current cheerleaders and they are very disappointed in her and the program. There isn't a vacancy as of right now, however, it is my understanding that there is potentially going to be one. I have a few friends that are interested in transforming my HS cheer program into something great and we are looking to at other successful HS programs to see exactly how they are running things so that if the option arises, we are ready.

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads?
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete?
Do you cut for gameday squads?
How do you score tryouts / Who judges?

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp?
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions?
Do you have tumbling practices?
Do you condition if you are spirit only?

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc?
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they?
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique?
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions?

Any input is helpful, I am mainly into All-stars but have many friends that cheered at nicer HS with good programs as well as my freshman year I cheered in college. I have a good idea of what we are thinking but would like to see what many difference programs do. Of course, this is all a theoretical thing, but we want to have a game plan ready.

Tryouts -
Tryouts are in May, usually the third week. We do tryouts for both JV/Varsity teams. We do not have separate football/basketball teams. All JV girls cheer at all JV football/basketball and Varsity does the same for Varsity sports.

Both JV and Varsity compete. We do not have separate game and comp teams. But varsity does take alternates who cheer at games but don't compete.

PM me if you want to see the tryout score sheet, I can see if it's still up on my old HS's cheer website. Everyone is judged on the fight song, dance, cheer (we have three that we learn and the judges randomly call one and you do that one), jumps (toe touch/jump of choice), standing and running tumbling. Stunting is also judged, just basic things (half/extension/cradle/full down/) b/c some people have never stunted before.

The coaches bring people in to judge, not 100% sure. They all know about cheerleading though. The coaches don't judge, just tally scores. The top 12 make varsity w/ 4 alternates usually and the rest make JV and then they cut some.

Practices -
No, but we always had summer practices.

Everyone is required to be enrolled in tumbling. Our HS brings in people and you can take tumbling from them on a night when we don't have practice or you could go somewhere else. I always went to an all-star gym

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc?
PM me if you want a total expenses break down, I think it might still be on the website. We pay for practice clothes, shoes, competitions but we usually fund raise most of it. We don't pay for any part of our uniform or warm ups except for bow, shoes and bundies.

Just has to be all the way up with the game bow.

Honestly I can't remember....we always do some cheers at games that would be tradition I guess. I'm totally blanking right now...

Fundraisers, making locker decorations and banners and the varsity team coaches our youth program.

My school squad wasn't very successful competitively, but was massively successful spirit wise. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the sports in my hometown are really good, so everyone is really supportive of them. I was the only one who had ever done allstars, but most girls do a year of rec cheer, then cheer middle school in 7th-9th grade.

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Yes. At try outs (sometime in April), you were able to select if you wanted to be considered for fall, winter, or competition. To cheer comp you also had to cheer football. Winter cheer all practiced together, but were actually split into two game day teams, one cheering for boys basketball and half of wrestling, and the other team cheered girls BB and half wrestling. Since I have graduated, they've also added a fall JV team. I think having split seasons is great because it allows girls to do other sports and choose varying levels of commitment.
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Yes we had roughly 25 girls cheer football and 12 girls made comp with 3 alternates. JV does not compete.
Do you cut for gameday squads? Yes there were cuts for all teams. A set number of girls was never established, cuts were just made at natural breaking points.
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? 1/3 of our score was based on teachers recommendations and grades, the other 2/3 on actual cheering. We learn the fight song, a dance, chant, and cheer during clinics (all taught by senior cheerleaders getting ready to graduate). Friday, we do a mock tryout in front of the other girls, and Saturday morning are try outs. Tryout in groups of 3, tumbling is not required, but if you can you tumble in rather than spirit in. We were judged on things like jumps (toe touch and jump of choice), motion technique, voice projection, spiriting, and "overall look" (smiling, eye contact, appearance, etc). There was no stunting during our clinics or tryout. We were judged on scoresheets by local college cheerleaders or coaches, however the two cheer coaches and the dance team coach were present during tryouts taking notes of their own. Final decisions about who made the teams was up to the head coach.

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp? The school did attend UCA camp, but it was optional (I never went because it always fell during my allstar stunt camp). For the girls who went, they did practice before camp, I think for roughly 2 hours a day for 2 weeks?
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? During summer, comp girls have weights/conditioning every morning followed by comp practice (in MO regions is in August before school starts and states is in November so summer pracs are important for them). Football cheer starts practice in August (so comp girls have 2 a days then). Once school starts, everyone practices from 230-430, and comp stays until 6. In winter comp is over and everyone practices together.
Do you have tumbling practices? For spirit squads, no, but comp does rent space from a local gymnastics gym to tumble and go fullout.
Do you condition if you are spirit only? Our warmup was mild conditioning. Run a few laps, stretch, jump circles, crunches, and calf raises. If we got in trouble, running or jumping was our punishment.

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? We paid for shoes, bloomers, midriff, and warmups (usually got new ones every 3 years). We had once required practice outfit that was bought by everyone, and other clothes bought just by the girls going to camp. We did usually get 2-3 tshirts made throughout the year also. Everything else (uniforms, buses to games, food, supplies) was paid for by the cheer program, which was fundraised.
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? Hair was decided upon by captains for each game, usually depending on weather. If hot, we did high pony bow forwards. Middle months, low pony bow backwards or half up bow backwards. In winter it was all down with our ear muffs holding it back.
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? Our big fundraiser was always a clinic for elementary school aged girls with the dance team and it was always a blast. The cross country team at my school always ran to the coach's house and TP'd it for their last practice and I was always jealous of that tradition. We did have "treat Tuesday" so we got candy at the end of practice on Tuesdays. During winter, cheer and dance picks some senior boys who do a silly dance routine at an assembly and halftime of a basketball game and its always HILARIOUS!!
Do the cheerleaders do things other than games and competitions? Thursdays before games we spent half of practice cheering, and the other half making signs/runthroughs/ locker decorations. We did community involvement stuff like food drives and appearances at the elementary schools/parades/other community events. Game day mornings, the football moms always bought breakfast for the players and we helped hand it out. Before homecoming we decorated the head football coach's door and mailbox. Before home games we hand out programs. We sometimes threw things like mini footballs or terrible towels into the stands. That's all I can think of for now!

You can select what you want to try out for at tryouts, like "I will do comp/football but not basketball season" or whatever you want to do. We compete, some years we have separate comp squads and some years it's just all of varsity. depending on if we enter the small/superlarge/large division. JV competes at regionals if they want to but there's no JV division at state so they don't compete.
Yes, but we don't usually cut that many people.
Our coach brings people in to judge - other cheer coaches, mizzou cheerleaders, etc. she doesn't judge, she just tallies up scores, but she does sit in and she does have final say on the squad (like if someone has a really bad attitude or whatever and she doesn't want them on the squad) but it's pretty much by scores. We are judged on a cheer, dance (which is always cheesy), stunting, jumps, and tumbling. We have the tryout clinics so the first day we learn the cheer, then we spend the other days stunting, and we try out with our stunt group, they evaluate our technique and difficulty.
We have practices up until camp, then all summer afterward. We go to a private choreography camp, not an NCA/UCA camp, although JV has gone in the past. We just have our choreographer come down to our hotel (which is usually a nice place on a lake) and do our choreography.
Yes. Competition squad practices all summer, but the alternates are only required at camp and a couple of practices, then they don't have to come back until the practices right before school starts so they're eligible to cheer games.
We enroll in tumbling classes at a gymnastics gym as a team. The classes are split up by ability into 4 classes at different times during the week. Plus a lot of us take privates at an allstar gym.
We pay for warmup jackets, shoes, poms, bow, practice wear, spanks, midriffs, and we pay a rental fee for our uniform
Hair all up with bow. I think it's illegal here to have it half up so it's more of a legality rule than our coaches rule... although I think she would have it either way.
We do a candle ceremony at camp each year... we sit in a circle after our fancy dinner and we each get a candle that we stick in the sand at the beach. We go around and introduce ourselves and talk about why we cheer, etc, and after you talk the person before you lights your candle with theirs, and you pass your beads around (everyone gets beads and we make a bracelet)
We do some community service and a cheer clinic for each season. We also do fundraisers and such.

I haven't cheered on my high school team in two years because i graduated but mostly everything is the same.
Tryouts -
Yes, tryouts in august for the fall and November for winter. the teams mostly stay the same but a few changes are made.
Yes they have a Freshmen, JV, and Varsity team that all compete. all teams have anywhere from 25-35 girls.
the game team and competition team are the same so yes cuts are made for gameday squads
the coaches for all three teams score tryouts. i honestly have no idea how they score and decide who makes the team.

Practices -
They do not go to camp but they do practice during the summer.
1 practice during the year is dedicated to game stuff. usually it is the first one and while they do game stuff the coach passes out uniforms.
Every sunday they have not so optional, optional tumbling for an hour and a half.

Admin-
All of the clothing that is offered is optional and they get 1 free practice t shirt. most girls will order a custom warm up jacket. the other expenses are new sneakers, and nationals. there are probably a few more but i cant think of them at the moment.
Hair must be in a neat ponytail and completely off your face. if the coach thinks you look like a hot mess she has no problem telling you to fix it or sit.
practice before every competition they listen to angel laying down in a circle holding hands. at every competition they put a penny in their shoe and keep them all in there until the end of the season. right before they compete they get in 2 circles flyers in a circle in the middle and then everyone else around them and they sing angel. it is the best tradition and most emotional part of the day, but there is no possible way they could go on the floor without singing it.

We just have one team that is chosen in May that does everything.
We have a separate JV and Varsity for games but we combine into one Varsity team for competitions!
No cuts.
The judges are our hea coach, assistant coach, and 2 or 3 other judges they bring in. Our scoring system works like this:
Grade Check-24 points
Interview-10 points
Dance-10 points
Cheer-10 points
Stunts-10 points
Jumps-10 points
Tumbling-10 points
Appearance-5 points
Facials- 5 points
Paperwork-3 points
Parent Meeting-3 points
Total of 100 points

We go to Cheergyms.com camp and yes we practice for 2 months beforehand.
No, the only time our practice schedule changes is to add more practices if necessary the week before comp
No
We compete and we do condition

We pay for everything one our own and it can get quite expensive
Most of the time we wear a high pony slicked back but a few times they have let us do half up half down with a poof or half up half down all slicked back
Not really even though each year we have a theme for the team and this year it is Lilo and Stitch so we call ourselves Ohana because we are all very close and like family
We also do rallies, a freshman recruitment night for interested 8th graders, and a parent show right before nationals. We help out at things such as Back To School Night!

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Yes
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Yes, one for the the wall, one for the winter.
Do you cut for gameday squads? We only have one squad that competes and cheers at games
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? We asses their jumps, motion, tumbling and dance and the Varsity coach and I (JV coach) put each girl on the proper team, no "scoring" system per say.

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp? Varsity attends NCA sleep away camp, JV does a day camp at a local all star gym. We do not have practices before summer camp due to state rules (MA).
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? It's one team, so one practice.
Do you have tumbling practices? Yes, once a week for an hour.
Do you condition if you are spirit only? We condition no matter what!

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? The girls pay for everything except their uniforms. They pay for camp/penalty uniform, bows, warm ups, sneakers, poms and spanks. It roughly comes to about 250 each girl.
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? Either all up in a pony tail or all half up half down. Bow required
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? Decorate boys houses the night before Thanksgiving game, perform at the pep rally, get shirts with nick names on them
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions? They also help out with the Youth cheerleading teams in our town.

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Yes
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Our Varsity is basically the comp team, without the girls who only do sideline
Do you cut for gameday squads? No cuts, girls who don't want to compete don't have to
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? We have outsiders, usually our coaches old cheerleaders from other schools, and other cheer coaches, and it's based on jumps, motions, dance, and extra points are awarded to tumbling.

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp? Our season doesn't officially start until August, so we get a few practices before UCA camp
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? Our team for the last few years have been returners, so game day is something new girls do before our real practice, which is only for comp.
Do you have tumbling practices? Not officially, but we do it for the first 30 minutes of our summer practices.
Do you condition if you are spirit only? We condition as punishment!

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? We pay for extras, like spirit wear and bows/briefs, but uniforms are paid for. We did buy warm ups and bags this year but we don't usually do that.
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? No real rules, just out the face with the bow.
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? Cheer sleepover in the summer, cheer circle (gossip time!) before practice/on the bus to games, nicknames, singing on the way to the games.
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions? Community service, like cheering during races and we did It's Academic for our scholastic team!​

It seems that you have all the information you will need to start building a good program. The only thing I would add with some emphasis is "community service". This is very important to the girls as individuals and as a team especially to the community. I can not stress it enough; community service now makes a huge impact on your college applications. Our girls have done walks for the local school for disabled kids, back to school back-pack challenge (where kids form the school donate school supplies and the cheerleaders pack them into donated back packs and deliver them to local areas in need), the do the same with food drives for the local homeless center, as well as Breast cancer walk. Basically figure out what is needed in your community and get the girls to dedicate some of their time to do it. Also the community that see these girls active within the community and giving will give back when its fundraising time.....
Good luck and I wish you ladies well :cheering:

Looking on my freshman year, when our team was actually good and we had a coach that actually knew about cheerleading:
Tryouts -
Nope.
We didn't have a separate competitive squad. If you were on Varsity, you competed. If by chance we had enough girls to make a JV at tryouts, JV would not compete.
Yes and no. You have to know all of your cheers standing up by yourself to cheer football games. You didn't cheer until you knew them.
We typically have UT cheerleaders judge. I think it was jumps, motions, tumbling, voice projection and personality smiling when you cheer, how you spirit.. etc.)

Practices -
No we did not go to UCA camp.
At the beginning of summer we start game day stuff until the end of July. During that we put together stunt groups/tumbling groups that we also use in the routine.
Yes, we had a mandatory team tumbling practice at a local gym once a week for an hour.
YES. We ran a mile every practice in the summertime plus abs, flexibility, and strength.

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? We all pay for our own warm ups, shoes, practice clothes... etc. And pay a rental fee each year for our uniforms.

Hair up in a high pony tail with bangs pulled back.

we cheered special needs basketball games and have a mini-cheer camp for kids ages 4-13 each summer and each of us are assigned a youth football cheer team to help with throughout the season if we chose.

Tryouts -
Yes... you try out for Fall in August and Winter in November.

Freshmen, JV and Varsity compete but only Varsity competes for Sectionals and Counties.

All the coaches in the program judge. It's based on 5 sideline cheers, a dance, tumbling, stunting and jumps with a big focus on tumbling and jumps for some reason. The Varsity coach gets first say on who she wants and we can have up to 36 on our Varsity team.

Practices -
We went to Pine Forest in PA and we had open gyms but nothing official.

One night a week we would go to an all star gym and tumble for two hours.

Admin-
We only paid for practice clothes and bows. Everything else the school paid for: uniforms, warm ups, competitions, etc. We only paid if we decided to go to Nationals.

All up with a bow but can have poofs, braided bangs, anything else. Special occasions we were allowed half up.

I guess our Pep Rally stuff was pretty cool but I don't think overall we did anything out of the ordinary except we used to sing the Mulan Let's Get Down to Business song when we walked into competitions.

Youth camps, fundraisers, decorate for Homecoming.

Paria - It's great to have a game plan ready! Don't forget to cater it to the needs of the high school and the area. What works one place doesn't necessarily work in another. Also remember that not everything happens overnight! Change the necessary big things and over time build it and add in other things that make those awesome programs, awesome!

Tryouts -
  • We have a football/competition squad and a basketball squad. For a long time we just had one. It made it so much easier on everyone to not have to do basketball and competitions at the same time. Our basketball team also serves as a JV/feeder team so varsity has a continuous talent pool coming in.
  • Yes. They are also the football team.
  • Yes. We typically have around 60 girls tryout, so not cutting would be too much to handle!
  • I've made my own scoresheet, based on what works for us and what we're looking for. I can share if you want me to email it to you.
  • We do a 3 day long clinic and then a formal tryout. They are scored the whole time though. We watch and take notes on how they're doing all week and that can be equally as important as the formal tryout!
  • Myself and the other two coaches judge. We don't bring in outside judges. We're the ones that know what we want, and we're the ones that have to work with them all year, so why would we let someone else choose our squad?
Practices -
  • UCA camp, and then competition team also has a choreography camp. We have tryouts in April and begin practices the next week. We practice year round, that includes a few months before camp.
  • No. We focus on whatever we need to work on that day. We don't have specific days to work on certain things.
  • Yes. Once a week is a tumbling practice. We also occasionally will work tumbling in our normal practices if we have enough coaches there to make it worth while. If there is just 1 coach and 20 girls, it becomes more of a waste of time at that point.
  • Our competition team conditions a lot!! Our basketball team conditions some. Compared to a lot of schools they're probably still considered to condition a lot, but compared to our other team it's nothing!
Admin-
  • The girls pay for camp and then anything they keep (ie. camp clothes, shoes, bags etc) Total for the year just based on camp & items they buy, assuming its a new girl buying all new items, is just under $1000. Competition expenses are fundraised.
  • We try to use a lot of things over. For example we've had the same warm-up and bag for 4 years now. This way returners don't have to keep purchasing new items. We also offer a sell back program. For any item that is reused, graduating girls can sell their items to new girls at a discount. They choose the price of the item based off condition.
  • From experience some items almost everyone will re-buy, even if it does stay the same. Competition bows for example. I tried to keep the same one to save $, but everyone kept buying it new anyways, so I finally just started changing it every year. They might as well buy a different one if they're going to spend the money!
  • Yes. The biggest thing is we all match. What one does, we all do. Majority of the time its a high, straight ponytail. No poofs, no bangs, etc. Occasionally they get to wear it half up half down, but they all either have to have the bow on the back of the head or the top of the head.
  • It's a lot easier to have a set in stone style. You don't have to listen to the complaining/griping/questions every day!
  • We have lots of traditions, of course I can't think of them now! lol. I feel like most of what we do now, is because its the way we've always done it, making a tradition. A lot of it is just simple stuff that you don't even mean to become a tradition. I think the girls favorite tradition is big and little sis reveal day.
  • Yes. We do community service projects. Usually 2 a year, but we try to do more when we can. They also do pep rallies. PR events that they're asked to be at. They host a youth cheer camp, and we have an FCA weekly huddle.

Back