High School Your Hs Cheer Program?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Yes! We also have a summer tryout for camp. And our comp team (isnt usually the whole team) is figured out from our winter tryout.
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Yes, and yes, not all our girls make the comp team.
Do you cut for gameday squads? Yes
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? IDK I am a girl on the team! soory :(

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp? Yes and Yes, although I didnt try out this year due to family issue
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? no
Do you have tumbling practices? no
Do you condition if you are spirit only? not spirit only..

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? yes
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? Hair up in pony with bow, but there are new rules for all high school teams to wear buns at all practices/games/comps/ect..
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? Yesssss
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions? We go to a few community walks for like breast cancer, around thanksgiving we donate to the soup kichen, we are in the holiday parade and a few other parades and few other fun little things :)

Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Sort of; we have varsity and Jv, some of JV gets to cheer at football games which we call varsity game squad and the rest of Jv only cheers at Jv football games; but for basketball Jv cheers for frosh and Jv teams; and for varsity basketball games until CIF we have song do some games and cheer does some games and within the cheer team we have group a and group B and each group cheers at some games
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Our "squads" are our comp squads; we have separate game squads and yes we compet
Do you cut for gameday squads? Yes
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? I'm not sure

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? Do you have practices before summer camp? Yes and yes
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? No
Do you have tumbling practices? Yes
Do you condition if you are spirit only? Not spirit only

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? I think we have 2 or 3 payments of about 600 bucks(I'm not 100% sure though) which includes the payment for our comp fees, clothes, uniforms, warm ups etc
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? We wear our hair in a high ponytail with a poof, sometimes no poof, and back during football season when it was getting cold we had matching headbands and we got to wear our hair down and straight
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? Yes
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions? Yes; we volunteer, we have kids clinics, etc

**Replying as a parent - this is my CP's first year on her HS varsity squad.

Tryouts -
Do you have have separate Fall/Winter (Football/Basketball) squads? Yes but there is a great deal of overlap from football to basketball. I think football may be more athletes.
Do you have separate competitive squad(s)? If not, do you compete? Yes. The kids go through an informal tryout process once basketball season is starting. There seemed to be a number of alternates named in case of grades, injuries, etc.
Do you cut for gameday squads? No - at least I don't think so.
How do you score tryouts / Who judges? Not sure. There are 4 coaches - 2 JV & 2 Varsity. The dance coaches (we have a good competitive dance program at our HS) may also come in.

Practices -
Do you go to UCA/NCA camp? They go to a local camp but it's not affiliated with either of those 2 groups. Do you have practices before summer camp? Yes.
Do you have separate practices for game day / competitions? No - it's all one practice. There may be special focus prior to competitions.
Do you have tumbling practices? They tumble a bit at the regular practice. They are strongly encouraged to attend an outside tumbling class that is set up specifically for our HS cheerleaders. (Sadly - I don't think enough kids take advantage of this.)
Do you condition if you are spirit only? N/A

Admin-
What are your expenses like for the year, Do you pay for your own warm-ups, practice clothes, etc? I think the team expenses for the year were around $800-850. It was probably a bit more for us since it was my CP's first year in HS/on cheer so we had to buy the warm ups & bag. Included in the cost were practice clothes, warm ups, bow, makeup, bag, camp, and camp clothes.
Do you have rules on hair for games? What are they? Whatever the coach decides - usually seemed to be in a ponytail. They do the cheer curls usually for competitions.
Do you have any traditions that are fun and unique? They have the hair curling parties the night before a competition. The parties seemed to be held at the senior girls' houses. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun at the gatherings.
Do the cheerleaders do things other then games and competitions? They host a clinic in the summer for kids through 8th grade and then help some of the junior highs / rec programs during the year with either camps or an exhibition performance. The one thing I wish they did more of was get to perform at half time. They really only get to do their routine at halftime during the Homecoming game. They do go out and do the same motions as the dance team for the school song during football. During both bball & fball, they line up to cheer the teams in the introductions/onto the field.

We seem to have a decent cheer program at the school but I really think it helps if the kids come in with tumbling experience/cheer experience. Maybe one thing would be to help build up your local junior highs/rec programs - tumbling classes for them. And, I think it would be great to incorporate a lot more tumbling & conditioning into the actual practices. My CP is not nearly in the shape she was with HS cheer as with all-star cheer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for everyones responses, I am a grad student and I tend to neglect my account. I wish I could go back to my pro x days where I checked a couple times a day.

Tryouts -
We have a varsity and a jv team. They both only do competitions and never cheer at games.
Tryouts last for 3 days. Day 1: learn dance and a couple cheers (and go over motions and jumps incase you have never cheered before.)
Day 2: everyone goes over the material then varsity tryouts start and jv watches.
day 3: quick review and then jv tryouts.
The coaches judge the tryouts and choose who makes the team. If someone does not make the varsity team, they come back the next day for jv trouts. If someone doesnt make the jv team they can always be called in during the season as an alternate.

Practices -
We practice from late May- after nationals in Febuary. We practice monday, wed., thursday, some fridays, and sunday mornings. We have off during August for vacation and during christmas time for about a week.
We go to UCA camp the beginning of august or end of july.
We only do competitions so we dont have to worry about games or anything.
We have a designated tumbling practice once a week, but we tumble at each practice.
We condition as a team every practice.

Admin-
We paymore than $200 for practice clothes, shoes, ect. the begining of each year but its not mandatory to buy all of the stuff again the next year.
For competitions are har has to be high up on our heads and curled.
We usually have curling parties the night before competitions and we eat and curl eachothers hair.
We do a clinic twice a year for elementry school kids. We teach them some basic stunts, motions, and jumps.

Back