All-Star Youth Level 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BBinNCsMom

Cheer Parent
Feb 21, 2014
Im curious as to opinions in general. At this point in all star cheer, is there a place for youth level 5? Given that 5 year olds can be on a junior team (not that it's really changed) what would be the incentive to make a youth 5 team?

My daughter was on a youth level 4 team last year and honestly it was frustrating as a parent to pay all this money and go to the majority of comps where they had no competition (we had one comp with competition outside of summit). I imagine it's much the same for the youth level 5 kids. Why not add some junior aged kids and make it a junior restricted team?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just looking for perspective from a gym owner or coach -- I'm just a parent.

Im curious as to opinions in general. At this point in all star cheer, is there a place for youth level 5? Given that 5 year olds can be on a junior team (not that it's really changed) what would be the incentive to make a youth 5 team?

My daughter was on a youth level 4 team last year and honestly it was frustrating as a parent to pay all this money and go to the majority of comps where they had no competition (we had one comp with competition outside of summit). I imagine it's much the same for the youth level 5 kids. Why not add some junior aged kids and make it a junior restricted team?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just looking for perspective from a gym owner or coach -- I'm just a parent.
theres already a Jr. Restricted 5 division. Did they remove it this season? I agree, there really isn't a point of Y5 if theres only like 4 teams in it each year. Same thing for Y4, my old gym went to competitions and majority of the comps we went to, they were the only ones in the division.

Yes.

There is a place.

There are parents out there who want their young advanced athlete on a level-appropriate team WITH PEERS.

Not everyone wants their 2nd or 3rd grader on a Senior 5R team with 18 year olds.

Or on J5 with 8th graders.

They want their kid to be challenged while surrounded with kids who are interested in Barbie, Minecraft, etc. Not boys or driving.

They want their kid to be able to relate to her teammates, be invited to sleepovers, etc. Not just be the "little sis" or "cute little babyyyy" of Senior 5R.

For some, that experience is worth flying all over to compete against one team or none.

My daughter was on a Y5 for four years before aging out this year. I frequently had this discussion with moms on our team and moms from other gyms with Y5 kids.
It's a really tough division to field, and in four years time we watched it virtually disappear. This year I think there are only two Y5 teams, WC and CEA...the other powerhouse Y5s like ECE and Maryland Twisters aren't even fielding teams this season. Cheersport Sharks dropped to a Y4 last year and so far, they arent returning this year either.
I'll be disappointed if the division is absorbed, but traveling across the country for no competition almost all season is frustrating, despite the jacket or trophy you get for "competing".
I'm keeping one close eye on Y5, it will always have a place in our hearts, but I'm not feeling optimistic that it will survive in the long run. :(
Conversely, putting 5-9 year olds on j5 is foreign to me. It just isn't done at our gym, but it's not a mystery where all the little 8 year olds with specialty to fulls will wind up if there's no y5 anymore.....J5!!!
Then parents will be demanding their 10 year olds with doubles need to be age eligible for worlds teams.

Last edited:
My daughter was on a Y5 for four years before aging out this year. I frequently had this discussion with other moms on our team and moms from other gyms with Y5 kids.
It's a really tough division to field, and in four years time we watched it virtually disappear. This year I think there are only two Y5 teams, WC and CEA...the other powerhouse Y5s like ECE and Maryland Twisters aren't even fielding teams this season. Cheersport Sharks dropped to a Y4 last year and so far, they arent returning this year either.
I'll be disappointed if the division is absorbed, but traveling across the country for no competition almost all season is frustrating, despite the jacket or trophy you get for "competing".
I'm keeping one close eye on Y5, it will always have a place in our hearts, but I'm not feeling optimistic that it will survive in the long run. :(
Conversely, putting 5-9 year olds on j5 is foreign to me. It just isn't done at our gym, but it's not a mystery where all the little 8 year olds with specailty to fulls will wind up if there's no y5 anymore.....J5!!!
Then parents will be demanding their 10 year olds with doubles need to be age eligible for worlds teams.
or boost up the youth5 age to 12 maybe?

Personally I think it would nice to get rid of the division and also get rid of large youth 4 and just leave the option for a small youth 4. I think it would create more competition for the small youth 4, small junior res 5, or large junior restricted. It's sad seeing a handful of teams in these divisions at even some of the larger events.

IMO, when there are only 2 teams across the country in the division, the division shouldn't exist. Put the talented beyond their years Y5 kids on Junior Restricted 5 or J5, and put the "reach" kids (more level 4 than level 5 but still amazing at their age) on a Y4 or J4. The kids will still be competing at their level, in more competitive divisions.

If gyms are wanting to use Y5 as more of a building year (gaining skills, confidence competing without stress, settings goals for competitions, etc.) that makes sense but it's practically an exhibition division with a trophy.

My daughter was on a Y5 for four years before aging out this year. I frequently had this discussion with other moms on our team and moms from other gyms with Y5 kids.
Conversely, putting 5-9 year olds on j5 is foreign to me. It just isn't done at our gym, but it's not a mystery where all the little 8 year olds with specialty to fulls will wind up if there's no y5 anymore.....J5!!!

Let's not forget Stingrays Teal that died about a season or 2 back :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, as a parent with a child who competed on a Y5 team for 2 years, I was very disappointed her last year when I had little money to spare and competed at all the same competitions against the same 1 or 2 teams or even worse, no competition... I would have rather my child was placed on a J5 or J4 team for the competition and crossover to Y5... jmo!

Btw, I think the idea of raising the youth age to 12 sounds like a good idea, if this will save the Y5 division.

PS: I am saying this only because these Y5 athletes are missing a lot of school days to fly across the country for no competition is ridiculous...

Last edited:
It's tough because on one hand it's amazing that these kids are this talented so young and prestigious to be asked to be part of such an elite team. But with the cost of cheer continuing to rise and it supposed to be a competitive sport, when you have no competition, it kinda defeats the purpose and feels a lot like paying for a trophy/jacket/backpack which my CP could care less about. She's there for the competition. The season was very anticlimactic except for summit, where they only had one other really amazing Y4 team to compete against (but at least there was one). She crossed to senior 2 through the season so that was her "excitement" team at competitions. (Before anyone gets upset and asks why a level 4 athlete was on a level 2 team, she's a level 2/3 tumbler. She was on youth 4 to backspot and didn't tumble on that team). She did get her standing tuck but they never put it in. That's the only level 4 skill she has tumbling wise. She made a 4.2 team this year -- I hope this Will be the best of both worlds for her. I do worry that there won't be much competition in that division either, but I know it's growing.

I have to admit, as a parent with a child who competed on a Y5 team for 2 years, I was very disappointed her last year when I had little money to spare and competed at all the same competitions against the same 1 or 2 teams or even worse, no competition... I would have rather my child was placed on a J5 or J4 team for the competition and crossover to Y5... jmo!

Btw, I think the idea of raising the youth age to 12 sounds like a good idea, if this will save the Y5 division.

PS: I am saying this only because these Y5 athletes are missing a lot of school days to fly across the country for no competition is ridiculous...

Back