All-Star Youth Level 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There very very few Y5 or Y4 teams in my area...as a parent I would be outraged to pay to compete against no one and most gym owners know this already, but I guess if they can decorate their gyms with trophies and banners...so be it.

Side question:

MD Twisters had a brand new Y5 last season. I remember that it won or did really well at NCA.

What happened to it? Did they all move onto J5?

I feel like this is all I talk about anymore so I won't do another long response but Droplet spent two years on Youth Elite and had the time of her life. She made friends from all over and has so many memories to carry with her as she moves on to her junior years. I have no doubt she would not be the athlete she is without her experiences on YE. I have nothing but positive things to say and wouldn't change a thing. Every year CEA ages off the majority of their team and every year we all sit around and go "oh gosh I don't know if it'll happen this year- can we really do it?" And every year without fail they carefully select a group of kids that can handle that push and that pressure at that young age and every year we sit back and are amazed.

If you give a little one the right confidence and make sure they know you believe they can do anything, they will amaze you with what they can do.

Oh I will miss it this year!

Side question:

MD Twisters had a brand new Y5 last season. I remember that it won or did really well at NCA.

What happened to it? Did they all move onto J5?

They moved to the jr rest 5 division at the beginning of last year but eventually combined with Supercells.

California has a ton of gyms but I can only think of 2 Y4 or Y5 teams I ever saw compete. And they were a one and done year, they didn't carry over to the next year.
theres not many Y4 teams I can remember see compete. I think the only Y4 team in my area is State and they may have another Y4 team this season? I may be wrong, can someone correct me?

My CP also did two season of Y5 but both of those seasons she also crossed to another team. IMO, this made the lack of competition easier to tolerate since she had competition for her other teams.

Last edited:
There very very few Y5 or Y4 teams in my area...as a parent I would be outraged to pay to compete against no one and most gym owners know this already, but I guess if they can decorate their gyms with trophies and banners...so be it.
So would you rather your level 5 child compete on a level 2 or 3 team? I find it hard to believe any gym owner chooses to have a high level team simply to get banners. Every Youth 5 and Youth 4 team I have seen have had the skills to be competitive in the division. The addition of the Junior Restricted division killed youth 5. I understand parents not wanting to have their child compete on only a Y5 team given the lack of teams, but I think most gyms have their Y5 kids crossed to another team to make more economic sense while still giving their kids a chance to compete at the highest level for their skills.

Kids should be with kids their own age and while the Y5 Division isn't large, it is still a place where these kids can be with peers and develop together and grow. If there were more strict age guidelines, then this would be a larger division, but since the ranges are so wide, it is hard to field Y4 and Y5 b/c most are putting the athletes on the Junior level teams.

I just feel like there doesn't need to be BOTH a Y4 and Y5. I don't have a suggestion about how that would work but I find the years our gym has a Y5 there are a bunch of level 4 skilled kids on it and when we have it Y4 there are kids with level 5 skills... Neither having much competition all year in either division.

Some field high level youth teams because they know it's an automatic summit bid with high likelihood of making it to finals. They want to advertise during tryouts season that they had X Team make it to the finals a Summit.

Meanwhile most cheer newbies wouldn't realize that there were only 2 Y5 teams in the country or maybe 5-6 Y4 teams so of course they made it Summit and the finals.

Back