Acl Injury/huge Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 26, 2014
Hi, I'm 16 and I just started cheerleading last year as a freshman. Because I was so new to cheer, I felt like I was holding the team back a lot so I began practicing jumps, tumbling and dancing for hours by myself everyday, and got into varsity the next year.
This January, all the practicing put too much pressure on my left knee, and I completely tore the ACL on my left knee while landing from a pike. Though I did get a reconstruction surgery right away, I will be needing another surgery in a few days due to complications with the replaced ligament.
I'm so worried that I'll never be able to go back to tumbling and jumping, and even if I recover physically, it scares me to even think about jumping again.
Because the coach knows about my problem, I think she will let me back on the team next year, but I don't want to have to be a useless team member.
Have any of you suffered from such injuries before? Could you give me some tips on recovering and picking back up on cheer? Thanks so much!

I am really sorry. Although it is easier said than done, I would just focus on healing and recovery for now. At this point there is no reason to stress over the skills. You need a complete recovery. I would follow all of the doctors advice. Go to rehab as advised by your doctors and give your body time to heal.

Last edited:
The good news is technique and training don't go away, so just because you are feeling apprehensive now, does not necessarily mean you will have a mental block when you have been released to tumble, again. I'm with @Kris concentrate on healing right now and when you are released by your dr. to tumble, again, let your coach ease you back into the routine.

I tore my acl last year and the most you can do is just go to rehab and work as hard as you can. It really sucks, but don't go back before your doctor days you're ready. It may be a long time but it will be worth it. They will give you exercises to help landing your jumps!

My daughter had miniscus surgery last Nov and ACL surgery Feb. Has been working hard at therapy and should get cleared the 5th, listen to your Dr and do Pt according to therapist! I am nervous but she can't wait to get back!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back