All-Star Advice On Switching Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 3, 2011
Hey Fierceboarders!
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on switching gyms. I'm so nervous, scared etc. to start practices at my new gym. At my old gym I knew everyone there so it was'nt awkward or anything like that. When I had my tryout it was so awesome and everyone was so nice but for some reason I'm scared to go back. So if anyone could reply back I'd love that! Thanks! :$

Don't worry about it! Its a new season and there are going to be tons of new faces at the gym.

girl. i felt exactly the SAME this past summer at tryouts. I was a basket case, sitting and waiting for my tryout. But for my tryout i actually had to practice with the team i was trying out for. Its weird going to a gym that you know every person to not knowing anyone and i wanted to back out so bad. but you only live once. Just do your best & thats all you can do! Best of luck to you!

There was a time that you were the new person at your old gym and didn't know anyone. It's very natural to be nervous. Just try and relax as much as possible. I'm sure you won't be the only new person. If you had a good feeling at tryouts (when everyone has a bit of nerves), I'm sure practices will be fine!

Strangers are friends you haven't made yet. Don't sweat it. Do your thing and in no time, it'll be like the old gym where everybody knows everybody.

Be outgoing! Sometimes people mistake quietness for rudeness and if you don't reach out to people they may think you're snobby. Don't be obnoxious but be friendly and talk to everyone.

i switched gyms a couple seasons ago & started making friends with the team just by talking to the people next to me while stretching & would try to sit near new people every practice:)

I switched gyms and it wasn't as scary as I thought! There will more than likely be other new people, so you wont be alone. Just talk to your teammates about cheer- discussing a commonly shared passion is one of the easiest ways to break the ice! Ask them how long they've been cheering, what tumbling they can do, what stunt position they are, etc. And sometimes, admitting you're nervous is a good idea because the other girls will be more likely apt to make you feel extra welcome. Good luck with it! :)

Definitely try introducing yourself and talking to people. I know for me, people who are quiet usually come off as extremely rude if they just stand alone with their arms crossed and just appearing snobby. That sets the tone for the rest of your season so be yourself and get to know people!
And remember that EVERYONE has something to offer a team :)

I switched gyms and it wasn't as scary as I thought! There will more than likely be other new people, so you wont be alone. Just talk to your teammates about cheer- discussing a commonly shared passion is one of the easiest ways to break the ice! Ask them how long they've been cheering, what tumbling they can do, what stunt position they are, etc. And sometimes, admitting you're nervous is a good idea because the other girls will be more likely apt to make you feel extra welcome. Good luck with it! :)

Thats great advice! Thanks so much! :)

Back