All-Star Allstar And High School: Can Athletes Do Both? Whose Decision Is It?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In WV, you can do both but there is a time frame you have to follow. So you can not do all star cheer until after the high school regional competition in November. But if your team makes it to states- then its December.

I told my AS cheerleaders that if they wanted to do HS I was ok with it... But I did warn them that if they got injured in hs and had to be out for more than 2 weeks I would be removing them from the AS comp team. And my girls are under contract so they have to continue to pay and show up even if they don't compete (they would be alternates).

The HS teams in our area are VERY competitive nationally ranked teams and they compete all the way through February so it could be an issue.... However, I gave them the comp schedule for this season already so they can make a decision before the HS season really starts. I don't think they have the choice to just do football in this area (at least I've never heard of anyone doing it).

I wouldn't make the girls choose but the HS coached do... All of the competitive HS's in the area told my girls that they had to choose (luckily they picked me). I was a game day cheerleader and coach for years so I can prep them for college tryouts if need be lol

I let my kids do both starting this yr. I did both in hs for two yrs. it's hard but it has many benefits. One of the big gyms in the area works with me schedule wise so there is no conflicts. Another popular gym won't let their kids do hs and allstar. I think it depends on area. And we compete and there is no option for just fb.

I did both my freshman year of hs. my hs coach strongly suggested that we only do one or the other but couldn't really do anything about it unless there was a direct conflict. We had the option to do football basketball or both and I just did football because there werent any conflicts with all stars. My sophomore year I got placed on a worlds team that required a much larger commitment so I had to quit cheering high school. I didn't feel like I was really at a disadvantage trying out for college not having a strong game day background. I think that choosing to cheer all star over hs benefited me way more for college than it would have for me to have cheered high school only.

It is possible for athletes to both but it really depends on the state you live in and the school you go to.

I didn't feel like I was really at a disadvantage trying out for college not having a strong game day background. I think that choosing to cheer all star over hs benefited me way more for college than it would have for me to have cheered high school only.

This is true, we stress the importance of high school for gameday, but I think all star gives you the skill which competitive programs want to see. I did well with college tryouts but I know that my confidence would've been better had I came in with 4 years of L5 cheer and not 4 years of varsity cheer.

In our town, this question has been debated YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR! At first, the high school said all girls who make the team must compete and stated you could not do all star cheer. Parents complained and said that wasn't right or legal as how can a school tell you what you can and cannot do in your free time, so the rule was changed that you could do all stars as long as it didn't interfere with cheer. Cheer receives PE credit and a grade, so if you didn't show up to a practice or game, you could technically fail the class. Then a few years ago, California passed a law (or something) stating that any student could participate on any sport/team and could not be kicked off if the parents didn't pay for the uniform and any fees. Since the school receives no money for cheer (all funded by parents), a girl could therefore be on cheer, compete and not pay a dime--thus the difference would need to be paid for by other parents. Well, that didn't go over well, so they changed the rule yet again and said competitions are optional, hoping that parents who really couldn't afford competitions would just let their daughters cheer at the games and not compete. So, this opened the path for all star girls to cheer at games but not do high school comps. Right now, we have 3 level 5 girls on varsity, but none will compete. All have stated the coaches are not properly trained and girls are not motivated or want to train hard to compete at their best. Coaches want them to do skills they can do on a spring floor, but the girls don't want to risk injury doing the skill on the hard floor. So, my suggestion, if possible I would cheer at games but not do comps.

Back