High School Camp & Fall Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 29, 2011
Hi everyone! I have a complicated question.

Background Information: I have coached one year (two seasons) in my current district. I was hired to coach here in May of last year. The team cheers for football games and basketball games. They do not currently compete. However, that is a direction that both myself and the athletic director would like to head. Due to the format of competitive cheer in our state, the traditions of our school and program, and the current skill levels of the kids in our program, that will be a long process.

The school traditionally holds two tryouts: one in mid-August for football season sideline cheer, and one in November for basketball season sideline cheer.

I would like to take the girls to cheer camp this summer (UCA) for the first time in recent school history. The AD is really supportive of this as long as we can make it affordable for everyone without doing a bunch of fundraisers. However, as you all know, cheer camps are mostly in July, and teams generally hold a spring tryout (i.e. in May, before school is out) so teams can practice and attend camp during the summer.

Our AD is not in favor of a spring tryout. They tried it once a few years ago. Due to the transient nature of our school district (and, in some part, to the way the program was run as a lower athleticism, strictly cheering-on-the-sidelines kind of program) there were all kinds of issues in the summer of kids leaving the district, kids deciding to do another sport, kids quitting because they got a job, etc. I see his point, and I think it's fair that he is basing his dislike of spring tryouts on actual experience

My Question: He has suggested going to cheer camp without doing tryouts first - in other words, any girl who wants to pay and buy the camp clothes can go to UCA camp in July. Then, they can all try out for the team in August; the tryout is also open to kids who didn't attend camp. I have never done this in my years of coaching, and I am not sure what the pros and cons are.

So: does anyone here bring any kid who wants to go to summer cheer camp and then hold a tryout in August? Has anyone tried this without success? What are possible positive points and pitfalls of doing it this way?

My other options are (a) talk him into trying a spring tryout and hope that goes well, or (b) holding an August tryout with a home camp.

Thanks!

I don't think the AD's choice is the best.. Not sure what state you're in, but our UCA camps are very popular and fill up quickly.
Camp is about $250-$300 per camper plus clothing.
It's a serious biz, and it's a lot of work for a kid just to go and then not even make the team.
What will your requirements be to make the team this season? Skill level?
Will you do some small comps to get used to competing this season?
Most schools always do tryouts in May, then camp.
It shows a level of commitment from the team and families, especially when money comes into play. Cheer is not cheap, if your competing and it requires a lot of time. I would talk to the AD and also call UCA and speak with them abt the situation. They can give you the camp info and can help new coaches with getting it all together.
A home camp is also an option but... You won't have the whole UCA camp staff to see all the new stunts, inversions, and other fun things that happen when you're away at camp. Very big team bonding experience. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the AD's choice is the best.. Not sure what state you're in, but our UCA camps are very popular and fill up quickly.
Camp is about $250-$300 per camper plus clothing.
It's a serious biz, and it's a lot of work for a kid just to go and then not even make the team.
What will your requirements be to make the team this season? Skill level?
Will you do some small comps to get used to competing this season?
Most schools always do tryouts in May, then camp.
It shows a level of commitment from the team and families, especially when money comes into play. Cheer is not cheap, if your competing and it requires a lot of time. I would talk to the AD and also call UCA and speak with them abt the situation. They can give you the camp info and can help new coaches with getting it all together.
A home camp is also an option but... You won't have the whole UCA camp staff to see all the new stunts, inversions, and other fun things that happen when you're away at camp. Very big team bonding experience. Good luck !

I agree that it's not the best.

UCA camps are not popular in our state. The local companies that run camps and teach skills specific to our state's style of competing are much, much more popular. Those fill up quickly. There are currently zero teams signed up for the UCA camp I'd like to attend (which is another issue all together, frankly.)

Yes, my tryout sheet is skills-based. This year, I am (hopefully) only taking kids with a cartwheel, round off, and backbend kickover. Only three of my 20 cheerleaders from last year had any tumbling skills, so the fact that most returning cheerleaders have progressed this far is amazing.

Sadly, we do not have the option of one or two small competitions. The way competitive cheer is structured in this state requires that you attend many competitions throughout the year (think 10+). It is also a very, very different style than sideline, so we have a lot of learning to do.

Yes, I have done home camps, and while they are nice, it's not the same. My kids need the experience of seeing lots of talented instructors; rubbing elbows with more experienced teams; and having to live in a dorm together. They really and truly don't know what cheerleading looks like outside of our school - because no other teams in the area have sideline teams, they just don't ever see other cheerleaders.

I agree that it's not the best.

UCA camps are not popular in our state. The local companies that run camps and teach skills specific to our state's style of competing are much, much more popular. Those fill up quickly. There are currently zero teams signed up for the UCA camp I'd like to attend (which is another issue all together, frankly.)

Yes, my tryout sheet is skills-based. This year, I am (hopefully) only taking kids with a cartwheel, round off, and backbend kickover. Only three of my 20 cheerleaders from last year had any tumbling skills, so the fact that most returning cheerleaders have progressed this far is amazing.

Sadly, we do not have the option of one or two small competitions. The way competitive cheer is structured in this state requires that you attend many competitions throughout the year (think 10+). It is also a very, very different style than sideline, so we have a lot of learning to do.

Yes, I have done home camps, and while they are nice, it's not the same. My kids need the experience of seeing lots of talented instructors; rubbing elbows with more experienced teams; and having to live in a dorm together. They really and truly don't know what cheerleading looks like outside of our school - because no other teams in the area have sideline teams, they just don't ever see other cheerleaders.
What state are you in?
Your state makes competing teams attend certain comps? Wow.
I'm in the northeast and we can choose as many as we want but we have to attend a regional to get a bid to nationals (UCA)

What style does your state mostly align with?

What state are you in?
Your state makes competing teams attend certain comps? Wow.
I'm in the northeast and we can choose as many as we want but we have to attend a regional to get a bid to nationals (UCA)

What style does your state mostly align with?

Michigan. It's a whole different ball game. This is my first year coaching a school team in Michigan (I have coached all star here and school in a more traditional UCA-style state) so I am still learning the ropes.

Michigan. It's a whole different ball game. This is my first year coaching a school team in Michigan (I have coached all star here and school in a more traditional UCA-style state) so I am still learning the ropes.
Aaaah! Ok.
Uca is very clean and all abt crowd leading. Are you trying to move into a more Uca style? Does Michigan use NCA?

Aaaah! Ok.
Uca is very clean and all abt crowd leading. Are you trying to move into a more Uca style? Does Michigan use NCA?

Michigan uses neither. If you're curious, you can watch videos of MHSAA competitions on YouTube. It's three rounds; no music; no props (signs, poms, etc.); each round requires specific skills. It's very different.

I do want to do a UCA camp because we are sideline right now and we do really focus on crowdleading - we are a very traditional spirit program and we do use UCA material, not NCA. If our AD wanted us to immediately switch our high school cheer program to competitive, we'd have to go to one of the Michigan-specific companies for camp. As we are looking to begin at the middle school level and build up, our high school program will remain traditionally spirit-focused for the time being.

Michigan uses neither. If you're curious, you can watch videos of MHSAA competitions on YouTube. It's three rounds; no music; no props (signs, poms, etc.); each round requires specific skills. It's very different.

I do want to do a UCA camp because we are sideline right now and we do really focus on crowdleading - we are a very traditional spirit program and we do use UCA material, not NCA. If our AD wanted us to immediately switch our high school cheer program to competitive, we'd have to go to one of the Michigan-specific companies for camp. As we are looking to begin at the middle school level and build up, our high school program will remain traditionally spirit-focused for the time being.
Aaaah... Very different. Good luck! :)

I don't think that your AD has any real understanding of cheer at all. I don't think they get what camp is or how it works. I would suggest putting him/her in contact with someone running a successful competitive high school program so they can get a full picture of what is involved. I would definitely NOT take kids who haven't tried out yet to camp.

IF you wanted to just have girls pay to go to the camp & get the camp clothes, maybe doing a home UCA camp would benefit you more? Especially because these girls may have never stunted (ever) or together and that would allow you to be more flexible with your schedule/focus more on the material or things that you wish to work on.

When I took over my program, it took a while for my athletes and families to understand the importance of away camp. We did home camp for 2 years then finally went away.

Camp is a huge expense and commitment. Easing them in will be helpful! Once they see how beneficial a home camp is, I'm sure everyone will be even more excited for an away camp.

I'm a NYS coach and now it's mandatory to do fall tryouts (mid-August). We host open gyms from May-August, and it is def awkward promoting ALL students to fundraise for a camp they may or may not attend. What I've offered over the past two years is that they can have their fundraised $$ back if they aren't place on a team.

Good luck with everything! You'll figure it out. Very excited for the future of your team/program!

Is there any all star gyms near you that may hold a daily clinic for u this summer or a coach that would come to your school instead of going to a camp? Maybe a gymnastics center to at least work on tumbling? Just an idea....

At our school, before tryouts, there is a mandatory tryout meeting where all expectations are discussed, including the financial obligations and time commitments. We then have tryouts the Friday before spring break, which is usually at the end of March. Any girl interested in trying out purchases a tryout shirt (approx $12) that can be worn even if they don't make the squad - it is not cheer specific. The first week after we get back, there is a mandatory parent/cheerleader meeting where a $150 non-refundable deposit is required. If a cheerleader decides that they don't want to cheer for any reason, they forfeit that money. This type of commitment should weed out the ones that are iffy about cheer. We have been to an away UCA camp for the last 5 years and it's usually right after school is out or right before school starts in August. This year we are going to try a home UCA camp for the first time. We also have two fundraisers throughout the year; one is a discount restaurant card that sells for $20 and the other is a junior cheer clinic. Part of the money that is made from the discount cards goes to the program and part goes to the individual cheerleader's account to help reduce the cost. Any money made at the junior cheer clinic goes towards end of year banquet and gifts.

We live in Texas where cheer (both all-star and school) is extremely popular. Our school does not compete yet. We have 3 squads, Freshman, JV (sophomore and juniors) and Varsity (juniors and seniors). All squads cheer for their respective football teams. If our football team makes the playoffs, which they almost always do, then the JV will cheer with the Varsity at those games. During basketball season, each girl, regardless of squad, will sign up to cheer for at least 2 home basketball games. If the BB team makes the playoffs, then only the Varsity will cheer at those games. For baseball and softball season, all squads will attend a couple of games each and sit in the stands.

I think scheduling a meeting prior to tryouts and explaining the commitments and obligations, along with a non-refundable deposit, will help keep the girls who aren't serious about it, from trying out. Even if you have a small squad, you know that the girls that make the squad, will truly be committed.

At our school, before tryouts, there is a mandatory tryout meeting where all expectations are discussed, including the financial obligations and time commitments. We then have tryouts the Friday before spring break, which is usually at the end of March. Any girl interested in trying out purchases a tryout shirt (approx $12) that can be worn even if they don't make the squad - it is not cheer specific. The first week after we get back, there is a mandatory parent/cheerleader meeting where a $150 non-refundable deposit is required. If a cheerleader decides that they don't want to cheer for any reason, they forfeit that money. This type of commitment should weed out the ones that are iffy about cheer. We have been to an away UCA camp for the last 5 years and it's usually right after school is out or right before school starts in August. This year we are going to try a home UCA camp for the first time. We also have two fundraisers throughout the year; one is a discount restaurant card that sells for $20 and the other is a junior cheer clinic. Part of the money that is made from the discount cards goes to the program and part goes to the individual cheerleader's account to help reduce the cost. Any money made at the junior cheer clinic goes towards end of year banquet and gifts.

We live in Texas where cheer (both all-star and school) is extremely popular. Our school does not compete yet. We have 3 squads, Freshman, JV (sophomore and juniors) and Varsity (juniors and seniors). All squads cheer for their respective football teams. If our football team makes the playoffs, which they almost always do, then the JV will cheer with the Varsity at those games. During basketball season, each girl, regardless of squad, will sign up to cheer for at least 2 home basketball games. If the BB team makes the playoffs, then only the Varsity will cheer at those games. For baseball and softball season, all squads will attend a couple of games each and sit in the stands.

I think scheduling a meeting prior to tryouts and explaining the commitments and obligations, along with a non-refundable deposit, will help keep the girls who aren't serious about it, from trying out. Even if you have a small squad, you know that the girls that make the squad, will truly be committed.
Yeah,camp could be a compete disaster if girls attend who are not aware of the grueling dedication required to be a cheerleader. Especially in a state like Michigan, where so many teams are so sharp.

I think letting anyone going to camp could be a lot more headache then it's worth. No personal experience, but there was a MADE episode forever ago on MTV where they did it this way. Summer camp was optional to anyone and tryouts were later in the year.

Cons that I can foresee:
  1. Camp is tough. Going in with random people could kill the girls confidence. They'll be performing in front of full squads that have been practicing together for a while. When you're groups are newly thrown together and the kids aren't even a real team yet, it could be embarrassing for them and hard to keep the moral up. Camp day 3 is no joke even for the best of teams.
  2. Entitlement. AD will be faced with some angry cheerleaders and parents if they are later cut. They paid to go to camp, they were dedicated during the summer. They DESERVE to be on the team, especially when Ashley vacationed all summer and did nothing but made it over their Suzie.
  3. Kids that are cut from your program have camp clothes. Kids that later make it don't have camp clothes. You now have twice the work to order everything twice, and will likely pay fees for reorders or smaller order runs.
  4. Those that don't go to camp, but later make the team are now behind. You have to waste practice time reteaching what the others already learned if you intend to use any of the material. The new team members won't have the experiences and bond from camp that the others do and may feel left out when stories are told and memories are shared.
Pros:
  1. I really can't see any, unless this becomes your only option.
I would push for a spring tryout. If that isn't possible then a home camp is the best option in my opinion. Or you could always do an open camp this year and make that a reason to later push your point of a spring tryout for the next season.

I agree with the coach above though, some programs you have to slowly lead into changes by making baby steps. Whichever way will lead you to your ultimate goal is what you should choose.

Back