All-Star Camp Woodward 2011

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughters just got back from Week 2, and I have to say, their experience this year was NOT as good as last year. They had a decent time, but not great. For the price, I would expect great. The tumbling instruction was fine; however, the administrative end of the camp was horrible.

No one seems to be in charge. Specific requests we made months in advance were ignored, and things we were told prior to arriving were NOT the same when we got there. Unfortunately, those errors took away from the overall "camp" experience that my girls were hoping to get from an overnight camp (and that they did, in fact, get last year). On top of it, there was absolutely no one to talk to, in hopes of getting the situation fixed.

One of the reasons we chose Woodward is that there is a good balance of traditional "camp" experiences with the tumbling. This year, that balance was not quite as good, and my kids missed it.

In addition, there was a VERY serious issue with one of my daughter's counselors, and although the camp took care of it, no one called parents to let us know what had happened.

My advice would be for parents to CALL before your children arrive, if you have any specific questions or concerns, and then GET THE NAME of whoever you speak with....they seem to have a quite high rate of staff turnover in the office.

As for the tumbling, since they have different staff every week, you are never sure exactly what you will get. My kids had better instruction last year for the same week, as compared to this year. At this point, I don't think I will send my kids back. Searching for another similar camp online right now.

We apologize if your experience was not matched to previous years. Being very aware of the situation you are mentioning, we have taken care of all concerns regarding therein. There are many different pieces of the puzzle that make camp work, therefore we have many different directors and people in charge for different aspects. If you have questions about your daughters cabin, we have housing directors, cheer directors, recreation directors, team directors, Medical directors, etc. Depending on your need, we have someone in charge to accommodate. Again we apologize and have taken your concerns under review to better our process for the future.

Cp and I head to Woodward next Saturday! She is so excited! Any feedback on week 3? Did everyone have fun?

Cp and I head to Woodward next Saturday! She is so excited! Any feedback on week 3? Did everyone have fun?

I posted my week 3 feedback on my facebook page. My daughter was 8 and had a blast. She made lots of friends, although most of the girls in her cabin were gymnastics girls, but my daughter is very independent so it didn't matter to her. She spent most of the time with the two girls from her gym she went with (ages 10 & 11) and a few other girls she met there. We are from Stars Athletics in Tampa and there was also one of her friend's friend from Cheer Express (we knew in advance she was going to go the same week) and on Thursday they realized another girl (9yr old) was from Cheer Tampa, so 3 local gyms were there that week. :) My daughter says she wants to go back next year. She worked on a lot of skills from her tuck, punchfront, layout, and even worked on her full. She only stayed 1 week and says she is throwing her tuck and layout by herself now. She has a tumble camp at her gym this week, so we will see how well she is throwing it this week.

I am overseas, but her dad talked to her everyday. The only time she was upset is when she lost her phone (but she found it). In fact, her dad had to keep calling her because she was "too busy" or "having too much fun" to think of calling him. He says she was always happy and chipper. One day he called in the evening and her and her friends were coming back from getting hot chocolate from the canteen, etc. My daughter did horseback riding Wed morning and really enjoyed that. She did the overnight horseback riding on Friday night and liked that as well. They ended up sleeping in a cabin instead of teepees because they thought it might rain that night. She says she went to the evening sessions at the gym every night.

Although she had a great experience this time, I think next year will be even better. I have been wanting to send her for months but her dad didn't think she was old enough. So when her dad found out the other two friends were going, he made arrangements for her to go with them. There are already talks of next summer getting more girls from her gym to all go together, and hopefully more in her age group to be in the same cabin. I think if you go with a friend, the same age, in the same cabin is best. We have a friend from Brandon All Stars that is going (I think week 9 & 10) and I would have loved for her to have been at camp the same time as my daughter, but it just didn't work out this summer, so maybe next summer we can plan better.

My daughter hasn't commented on the coaching staff or anything like that yet. Trust me, her dad wished she talked more when she called, but again, she was "too busy having fun" to talk to dad. LOL. :) I have talked ot her on Skype twice since she has been home and the only complaint she has is her arm muscles are a bit sore and she seems a bit tired. So she is spending the day at home resting before her gym tumble camp starts tomorrow.

We know a couple girls going to Cheer Surge (Nick Hotel in Orlando) so I am curious to hear reviews about that camp as well.

She also did the ropes course and rode the mechanical bull. I think she said the bull was on medium and she stayed on 20 seconds! She wasn't old/tall enough for the go-carts or paintball. :p Which I wouldn't have wanted her to be on go-carts or paintball with teenagers out there with her anyways. She has 3 older brothers ages 9, 17, and 18, so she is use to being around teenagers, so we know how crazy they can get on go-carts. She rides the local go-carts with her brothers because they are two seaters and that is enough for her.

Yay CP is all packed for week 5 and hopefully I have everything since she's out of town now lol. Loved everyones tips :) Both her and er friend are super excited!

Yay CP is all packed for week 5 and hopefully I have everything since she's out of town now lol. Loved everyones tips :) Both her and er friend are super excited!
Yay! My CP is packed too and we are hoping 'it's all in there' as we are In the process of moving!
She's super excited and bringing a couple of t-shirts if anyone wants to trade!

I'm driving home from woodward right now. I went last year, but this year was way more fun. Probably because I already knew people before I got there. But it was one of the best weeks of my life. I got my tuck while I was there (had it a month ago and lost it, but got it now) and I got to ring the bell during open gym and everyone stops what they're doing and does a slow clap and then cheers and watches you throw the new skill again. It was so much fun and I can't wait to go back next year!

I was really hoping to go this year since I live only like 45 minutes away but sadly my mom said not this year:( so hopefully next year!

Latest posts

Back