All-Star Camp Woodward 2012

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You aren't the only one stressing! My CP is 7 and we are strongly considering sending her in August. I have mild anxiety just thinking about her being away for the week too, but we are only a few hours away, and she will most likely be going with a friend. She is super excited already, and will probably handle the separation much better than I will! I've heard they are great with their younger campers, it should be an amazing experience.

we are only 2 hours away also, and now that i am hearing about all the people who travel up from FL and NC maybe we are lucky we live so close and should take advantage of it?

i just have a lot of questions and perhaps i should call to get them answered.

my cp is 8 and some of her older friends are going, including my cousin's cp. for those that have gone before or had their kids go, how did your cp do being so young? my cp is pretty mature for her age, but she is an only child. i am just not sure if she's "ready" to be away for a week. we only live a couple of hours from woodward so it's not that far from us.

idk, maybe i'm the one that's not ready????

My kid doesn't go to Woodward, but she has been to camp three different time, each for a week. The first time she was 7, and did well. She went twice last summer, once in June and once in August, each for a week, and was fine. And yes, usually it's the parents that aren't ready ;)

I live in Cary, and just got a sholarship. They do help pay if you need it if you apply! :D its been my dream to go since I was your daughters age, and Im 17 now. This is my last year that I am eligible and its the year before college, so I am INSANELY excited. Like... to no end. I am so happy I get to go. <3
We would never qualify for a scholarship like...ever. We could send her if we wanted to, I just can't justify the expense myself without some kind of guarantee that I'd see progression. That's like privates for two years in terms of cost.

My only question is, how do you guys afford a week, or more? Woodward would be beyond a dream for me and I know they do a week for those of us over 18, but I can rationalize spending that much for one week! Does anyone else pay for themselves to go and have any ideas?
Hi, I went last year for 4 weeks. It was a lot of money but there are different ways for you to get a discount. Your parents could volunteer as a cabin mom/dad, canteen mom/dad, driver. Or if one of your parent is a nurse they could be the nurse for the week. The discount will go into your account for spending money. Unfortunately, if you were looking to go this year, usually parents would have to apply for one of the jobs in January but you could always ask to see if they need anymore! Hope this helps :)

You aren't the only one stressing! My CP is 7 and we are strongly considering sending her in August. I have mild anxiety just thinking about her being away for the week too, but we are only a few hours away, and she will most likely be going with a friend. She is super excited already, and will probably handle the separation much better than I will! I've heard they are great with their younger campers, it should be an amazing experience.
She would have a cabin mom. Typically, the cabin moms have a daughter in the cabin too :)

we are only 2 hours away also, and now that i am hearing about all the people who travel up from FL and NC maybe we are lucky we live so close and should take advantage of it?

I have had girls in my cabin from germany, spain, norway, alaska and canada! I have gone every year since I was in 3rd grade and im in 11th now :) I absolutely love it. If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

so who makes sure the younger ones get to where they need to be? the place looks large and i don't want my cp wandering around lost.

so who makes sure the younger ones get to where they need to be? the place looks large and i don't want my cp wandering around lost.
The cabin moms will walk them around for the first couple of days or until they need it but eventually, they will know where everything is and be eager to "explore" on there own.

We live in GA and flew through Detroit to get there!

The cabin moms will walk them around for the first couple of days or until they need it but eventually, they will know where everything is and be eager to "explore" on there own.
Also half of it is the bmx and skateboard area where your cp won't even go. The layout is really pretty simple, no worries about getting lost.

I have had girls in my cabin from germany, spain, norway, alaska and canada! I have gone every year since I was in 3rd grade and im in 11th now :) I absolutely love it. If you have any questions feel free to ask away!
  • Do you have an opinion of what weeks are the best to go?
  • Gyms are open air - so are earlier weeks better because they are cooler and you don't get so hot and tired?
  • Have you noticed a big difference in coaching staff quality during the several weeks you've been there?
  • Do you think there are weeks that typically have better coaching staff than others
  • Thanks for your input!

• Do you have an opinion of what weeks are the best to go?
  • Gyms are open air - so are earlier weeks better because they are cooler and you don't get so hot and tired?
  • Have you noticed a big difference in coaching staff quality during the several weeks you've been there?
  • Do you think there are weeks that typically have better coaching staff than others
  • Thanks for your input!

I always make sure I am there week 6 because it is the half way point of the summer and thats usually when new coaches come in and old coaches last week. I would say as for when you go during the summer it doesn't matter. It could be late july and raining, you never know with woodward weather. I have never gone weeks 1,2 or 3. I hear that not many campers are there then because for weeks 1 and 2 most people are in school. As for staff, week 1 last year didn't have much staff from the staff picture I saw. The more talented coaches started filtering in by week 2. I would have to say weeks 5,6,7,8,9 are most popular and have the most campers and then you will see a decline week 10. By week 11 and 12, staff is tired, they are short handed, sometimes take gym staff. There are defiantly not a lot of campers at all so your groups will be smaller. This can be an advantage to you. But a disadvantage because after gym hours the camp feels "empty" I am not sure what week tap week is. It is either both 11 and 12 or just 12. I would advise not to go this week if you aren't tapped because the tapped campers get things you wont get since this is a reward week. The staff quality has defiantly improved over the years. I learn so much more each year then I did the year before and let me tell you, I learn a lot each time. I hope this helps :) PM me if you have any other questions.

I always make sure I am there week 6 because it is the half way point of the summer and thats usually when new coaches come in and old coaches last week. I would say as for when you go during the summer it doesn't matter. It could be late july and raining, you never know with woodward weather. I have never gone weeks 1,2 or 3. I hear that not many campers are there then because for weeks 1 and 2 most people are in school. As for staff, week 1 last year didn't have much staff from the staff picture I saw. The more talented coaches started filtering in by week 2. I would have to say weeks 5,6,7,8,9 are most popular and have the most campers and then you will see a decline week 10. By week 11 and 12, staff is tired, they are short handed, sometimes take gym staff. There are defiantly not a lot of campers at all so your groups will be smaller. This can be an advantage to you. But a disadvantage because after gym hours the camp feels "empty" I am not sure what week tap week is. It is either both 11 and 12 or just 12. I would advise not to go this week if you aren't tapped because the tapped campers get things you wont get since this is a reward week. The staff quality has defiantly improved over the years. I learn so much more each year then I did the year before and let me tell you, I learn a lot each time. I hope this helps :) PM me if you have any other questions.

I have gone for 2 years now (this year will be my third) and both years I have gone week 4, this year I'll be there 4 and 5. I was always under the impression week 4 was the most popular because its the very first week that everyone on the east coast is out of school. It's always PACKED that week. It's sooo fun with a lot of people there but you don't always get a lot of passes on the floor during open gym because of the line.

Looking into Woodward for next summer. I went a few years back, but for gymnastics. I loved the camp and the atmosphere. But I'm just wondering on which camp everyone thinks is better. I'm leaning towards the tumble camp, but I might go for stunting. I dont know yet, but we'll see. Suggestions?

I have gone for 2 years now (this year will be my third) and both years I have gone week 4, this year I'll be there 4 and 5. I was always under the impression week 4 was the most popular because its the very first week that everyone on the east coast is out of school. It's always PACKED that week. It's sooo fun with a lot of people there but you don't always get a lot of passes on the floor during open gym because of the line.
Last year, week 4 did not fill. Week 6, 8 and 9 did.

Back