All-Star Can A Coach Push To Hard?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe you have to hold each kid to a certain standard....IF YOU PICK YOUR TEAMS PROPERLY. You have to set attainable goals and make steps to get there where the athletes have check points so they can feel accomplished along the way. I believe if a kid isn't accountable for the desired check points in the preparations time of the season they need to be removed or pushed harder with extra individual attention.

I also believe in breaking down athletes mentally, much like boot camp - ( But not as severe because they are kids) and then rebuilt as a new mental athlete because 90% of these skills are mental confidence. You have to make them machines and in their head they have to believe the skill will hit and there is NEVER DOUBT. What the mind sees the body does. So if an athlete is constantly worrying about a fall or a bust their body will act out what they have obsessed about. If they know they have it and there is never any doubt of anything except perfection....they will hit.

To stay on topic.....yes coaches can push too hard but that's only if they pick teams wrong and force kids to do skills they are not in the correct progression for.

Just my opinion.

If your athletes trust you they will allow you to push them. It is an awesome experience to see an athlete take it to the next level. If the coach/gym hasn't built an environment where they know their athletes a push could completely back fire. As a coach if I am not pushing I should stop coaching and work with sloths. At least they would understand why I was full of lackluster excitement.

being both an all star coach and a HS teacher, I feel that you just have to know your athletes/kids. All kids are different, some can handle really hard coaching and lots of pushing, but others may shut down in the same situation. I find this a lot on junior level and under teams, when you still have a lot of younger athletes. I think the most important thing when coaching is knowing all your kids and understanding how to adapt your coaching for each one, so that each athlete can reach his/her potential.

Some of the best words I have ever heard in cheer leading. Thanks for the post

My cp needs that tough coach that pushes her to reach her potential. She has had the same coach for all Three seasons she has cheered and she has moved up two levels and gained so many skills. She is only seven so and small so When she Does tumbling classes or conditioning they are so easy on her. But like everyones Been saying it depende on the coach and the child.

Most cheerleaders would agree that a coach that yells at you and pushes you past you limitations is a good coach. Strict coaches are the best coaches! Cry now, appreciate it later: words to live by in the cheer world.

Most cheerleaders would agree that a coach that yells at you and pushes you past you limitations is a good coach. Strict coaches are the best coaches! Cry now, appreciate it later: words to live by in the cheer world.
ITA and I sometimes wish CP's coaches did a little more pushing.

Back