All-Star Can Someone Explain Ioc To Me?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

justpeachy

Cheer Parent
Mar 26, 2010
It has never been on my radar in the past.... what does IOC entail?

All I know is that it's coed, there aren't age restrictions (is that even correct), and something about trials at Worlds....

Is there a different scoresheet? How is it different? How does trials work?

Help a clueless mama out here.

So there's two options for IOC - level 5 and level 6 (though I assume you're asking about IOC5). Both levels have a small and large division. Small is 4 boys, large is 15 (in level 6, it's 12 in level 5). There's also all girl divisions in each level.

IOC5 has a minimum age of 14, IOC6 has a minimum age of 17. The reason they're called international is to more closely align with the age groups of most non-us teams. They tend to have a lot of divisions with no maximum age, so they don't really line up with our senior age group very well.

Scoresheets are the same as the rest of the divisions all year - except at worlds. At worlds, the international divisions put much less emphasis on tumbling - it's only 15% of the scoresheet. This is to try and level the playing field a bit - most non-US teams have much less tumbling.

Hope that helps - it was a very brief overview.

Last edited:
So there's two options for IOC - level 5 and level 6 (though I assume you're asking about IOC5). Both levels have a small and large division. Small is 4 boys, large is 15. There's also all girl division in each level.

IOC5 has a minimum age of 14, IOC6 has a minimum age of 17. The reason they're called international is to more closely align with the age groups of most non-us team. They tend to have a lot of divisions with no maximum age, so they don't really line up with our senior age group very well.

Scoresheets are the same as the rest of the divisions all year - except at worlds. At worlds, the international divisions put must less emphasis on tumbling - it's only 15% of the scoresheet. This is to try and level the playing field a bit - most non-US teams have much less tumbling.

That helps lots, thank you!

IO(C) teams also qualify to finals a little differently. IO(C) 5 has US and Canadian trials where the top 10 move on to semis, as these countries have more than 10 teams in these division (not IOSC 5 though). IO(C) 6 do not currently have trials, as there aren't more than 10 teams from each country. During semis, the top 3 teams from each country advance to finals, so often, especially in IO(C) 6, the las place team who is the only team from random country will qualify, but the fourth place US team, who placed 5th or 6th overall won't. It is quite a contentious issue among many people, so don't bring it up unless you want to read a very long post. ;)

So there's two options for IOC - level 5 and level 6 (though I assume you're asking about IOC5). Both levels have a small and large division. Small is 4 boys, large is 15. There's also all girl division in each level.

IOC5 has a minimum age of 14, IOC6 has a minimum age of 17. The reason they're called international is to more closely align with the age groups of most non-us team. They tend to have a lot of divisions with no maximum age, so they don't really line up with our senior age group very well.

Scoresheets are the same as the rest of the divisions all year - except at worlds. At worlds, the international divisions put must less emphasis on tumbling - it's only 15% of the scoresheet. This is to try and level the playing field a bit - most non-US teams have much less tumbling.

15 for IOLC level 6, but 12 for IOLC level 5.

IO(C) teams also qualify to finals a little differently. IO(C) 5 has US and Canadian trials where the top 10 move on to semis, as these countries have more than 10 teams in these division (not IOSC 5 though). IO(C) 6 do not currently have trials, as there aren't more than 10 teams from each country. During semis, the top 3 teams from each country advance to finals, so often, especially in IO(C) 6, the las place team who is the only team from random country will qualify, but the fourth place US team, who placed 5th or 6th overall won't. It is quite a contentious issue among many people, so don't bring it up unless you want to read a very long post. ;)
Yes, a fan-favourite team has not made finals (OO)5 years in a row now...

I can see why.

e8d42a3ae44a8cbe094d649e80552a26.jpg

Isn't it 14 for IOC5 and 17 for IOC6 like Ashley originally said? (see age grid)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they were talking about number of boys on the team.

But while on the topic.... Would it make more sense if the us trials to semi finals were the same procedure. But then u take all the top 10 from all those countries and have the top 25 scores move on to finals.

Back