Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hope I did the quote correctly. Yes, what gave it away? - haha. She has a background in both gym and dance so I guess I'm a stickler about technique ;). Her and I caught the TV broadcast of worlds (and have watched a lot more since) - she has a lot of interest, but I'm trying to find out more (she missed tryouts for a lot of our local gyms so it will probably need to wait for a year, but I think that's okay).

Most gyms are still accepting athletes. Don't think you have missed out on this season because the try outs have passed! Just call any of the gyms you are interested in!!

I hope I did the quote correctly. Yes, what gave it away? - haha. She has a background in both gym and dance so I guess I'm a stickler about technique ;). Her and I caught the TV broadcast of worlds (and have watched a lot more since) - she has a lot of interest, but I'm trying to find out more (she missed tryouts for a lot of our local gyms so it will probably need to wait for a year, but I think that's okay).

Your dance comment (re: technique in dance) deserves a shimmy x 1000.

I know that dance is the LAST part of the routine.

I know you're tired.

I get it.

However, that doesn't mean it's open season for flexed feet, broken high v's, non sharp arms, barely hitting the position on the count (ex: you half do your high v and go right to the next thing.)

Most gyms are still accepting athletes. Don't think you have missed out on this season because the try outs have passed! Just call any of the gyms you are interested in!!

There are a lot of choices in my area - I may call a few over the next couple of weeks. I look at YouTube a lot for examples of routines and I'm hoping to get some advice from this board in the parent area (once I'm allowed to post there).

If u come to cheer, clear your mind of pts for technique! Still important but Not as important in cheer. I teach gymnastics but daughter has cheered for the last 10 years and even I agree with u on that gigantic poofs are out of control. :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am new, a mom w/ a daughter who is looking to get into cheer, but these are my peeves (we have been watching a lot of routines lately):

When flyers are significantly younger than the rest of the squad - I know they need to be small, but when the flyer is in Kindergarten and being thrown around by kids twice her age it just seems like cheating to me.

As you watch cheer, you will find out that this is sometimes the only option. My CP9 is on a junior 2 squad. The cheer program at her gym is extremely small. Currently, there are only about 20 girls attending practice (and they will have to divide those girls into 2 squads since some girls are too old to be in anything but senior level). My CP really doesn't have a chance to base since she is a head shorter than the next shortest girl (CP is around 49 inches). Yes, she does front spot in some stunts, but she will always be a flyer until she outgrows this position or if she decides to return to a larger gym.

I cannot agree more. My mother made me do ballet. I took a year off cheer. I was just so tired and wanted to focus on school. When I started ballet I had all the flexibility down. But I felt like the teachers loved to nit pick everything I did wrong. In cheer, I liked the fact you got kudos for kind of pushing and trying. In dance, I had no technique for it. It's two different worlds with one idea in mind.

There are a lot of choices in my area - I may call a few over the next couple of weeks. I look at YouTube a lot for examples of routines and I'm hoping to get some advice from this board in the parent area (once I'm allowed to post there).
@SharkDad. Someone is looking for access to the super cool parent section.

Flexy, be ready to sign away your life and offer your first born as proof of who you are before admitted to the parent room.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

@SharkDad. Someone is looking for access to the super cool parent section.

Flexy, be ready to sign away your life and offer your first born as proof of who you are before admitted to the parent room.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat
But first...you better take a selfie.

Again, what is the solution for athletes who are small for their age? What is an athlete to do, in order to appease those of you who are disapproving of her small stature? Should they be shunned from cheerleading as they have for basketball and volleyball because they happen to be smaller than you would like?

Again, what is the solution for athletes who are small for their age? What is an athlete to do, in order to appease those of you who are disapproving of her small stature? Should they be shunned from cheerleading as they have for basketball and volleyball because they happen to be smaller than you would like?

I guess I shouldn't speak for others, but for me, the disapproval of "fetus flyers" is actually my strong dislike for flyers with little girl syndrome. The ones who are spastic, can't hold their weight and lean on backspots, and just all around look like a rag doll. You can usually tell when those girls are there just to fly on older bases. I have no problem with using smaller girls, or even younger girls, if they can hold their own and look like the big girls. There was an itty bitty girl on Panthers last year, but she didn't stand out as a "fetus" to me because she was just as sharp as everyone else. I wish more people would keep the little girl syndrome flyers on younger teams until they learn the muscle control to look the part of a senior flyer.

Last edited:
Thinking from both coach/athlete points of view...

One person not pulling their weight in a stunt group. Bah.

People who complain about conditioning. How do you expect to get better?

People who want to work higher level skills when they don't have the basics down.

I'm sure I can think of more later... :)
The last one has always bothered me, especially with tumbling. It makes me so angry when I see a someone who got her standing back handspring a week ago start to work on tucks. Chances are that back handspring is not perfect and has something it needs work on. Plus there are so many other skills to work on before a tuck (handspring series, round off back handspring, toe touch back handspring, etc.)

When people don't know their own counts, so the whole team have to wait for them. When athletes outside of a stunt group blame one person for it falling, just let the coaches coach please.

Back