All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Love love LOVE this team, but I hate how Eddie makes it seem how you can get kicked off at ANY minute. I get how your spot is never secure, but I could probably never be on this team because the pressure would be unbearable. If I kept getting reminded that my spot was never secure, I'd probably never feel like I am really part of the team because I could be gone at any minute. It's scary haha.

Eddie proved that in the latest ep by replacing Ally who wasn't work as hard as what she should have. I can see where he's coming from they're trying for their third world title this yr so a lot of other clubs have now got squads specifically put together to try and beat out smoed so he needs a tight knit group of people who can work well both together and under pressure. It is a little disheartening on those who do get replaced as they did work hard to get there in the first place but if it was me it'd push me to work twice as hard on the squad I get shifted into and then the following yr continue that hard work in hopes I get back onto smoed (I'd require the tumbling skills thought that I don't have)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Crucify me for this, but I think it's wrong to just keep replacing athletes all year. Just like the coaches, the athletes literally put their heart into those teams. Every time smoked doesn't win do they bring in new coaches to see how they do at the next competition, no they don't. So I don't think it's fair to dangle someone's heart in front of them all year.

Crucify me for this, but I think it's wrong to just keep replacing athletes all year. Just like the coaches, the athletes literally put their heart into those teams. Every time smoked doesn't win do they bring in new coaches to see how they do at the next competition, no they don't. So I don't think it's fair to dangle someone's heart in front of them all year.
Or it keeps them working all year. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids make their "dream" team, and then get lazy. Competitive teams need to stay competitive all year long. If someone isn't pulling their weight, pull up someone who will...just like every other competitive sport out there.

Or it keeps them working all year. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids make their "dream" team, and then get lazy. Competitive teams need to stay competitive all year long. If someone isn't pulling their weight, pull up someone who will...just like every other competitive sport out there.

I agree. My national squad last yr was only level 2 but we had a few girls come close to being replaced. They worked a lot harder after being told that as well

This is the just way Smoed handles things. If they allowed athletes to rest on their laurels (with that of having made the team) then I highly doubt they would come even close to being as successful as they have been. The athletes seem to know and understand what is expected of them, and making Smoed is not the end goal but the simply the beginning for them. It also helps when you have a deep program full of talented athletes as well as athletes all over the country who are willing to move from wherever they are to be part of this team should there be the need for a replacement. For someone who wants a guarantee that making a team means remaining on a team regardless of whatever happens, this is simply not the team for them.

Also, is it appropriate to use the term "crucify me for this"? ........ Really?
I know it can also mean to criticize but I fear some won't see it that way.

I was just thinking... Wouldn't it be great if all gyms (including many of those with level 5 teams) could have an athlete get injured and be able to reach out on social media and get tons of top athletes applying for that position? The reality most teams face is if Suzy gets injured they have a much more difficult time with a fill in or replacement. Do you take Sally backspot from the level 4 team who can't quite nail her jumps to tuck and throws a layout? Do you take Cindy flyer from the level 3 because all the flyers on level 4 are 10 year olds and don't make the age cut for the 5?

Smoed can do what they do and demand what they can demand because they have an amazing world wide pool of athletes to choose from. They can replace a top notch flyer with a top notch flyer. They can replace a combo to double with a combo to double. For most teams, that is not reality.

I couldn't disagree more making a team is just that making the team. Some kids will work hard, push themselves and mentally prepare to make it through the tryout process then become complacent once they make the team and stop pushing themselves. The mentality is who cares if I throw my double now I'm already on the team. Look at it from this angle. 2 girls are being considered for the last spot on the team, girl A is an all around better choice but doesn't double girl b comes to tryouts and doubles so in all fairness u decide to go with girl B. Two months into the season girl b can't land doubles anymore and u can't compete her double plus she is struggling with basing which girl A would get easily. In my opinion it's unfair not to replace her with girl A, since girl B is no longer doubling she is no longer the better choice.

I couldn't disagree more making a team is just that making the team. Some kids will work hard, push themselves and mentally prepare to make it through the tryout process then become complacent once they make the team and stop pushing themselves. The mentality is who cares if I throw my double now I'm already on the team. Look at it from this angle. 2 girls are being considered for the last spot on the team, girl A is an all around better choice but doesn't double girl b comes to tryouts and doubles so in all fairness u decide to go with girl B. Two months into the season girl b can't land doubles anymore and u can't compete her double plus she is struggling with basing which girl A would get easily. In my opinion it's unfair not to replace her with girl A, since girl B is no longer doubling she is no longer the better choice.
I agree. But don't be surprised if the gym A then looks to girl A like 'now is your chance since our original choice didn't live up to the hype. We knew you were better all around, but went with glitz and it backfired.' Only to find out girl A found a new 'family' at gym B. That's why I wish companies wouldn't confuse kids with all this family talk. You're a business. Family doesn't replace family if someone is hurt or lazy. Businesses however will replace workers for those reasons.

It's more than likely that kids who try out for Smoed and their parents are well aware of Eddie's policy regarding mid-season replacements before anyone makes the team. If you can't handle that kind of pressure, there are many other teams and/or gyms you can tryout for. Smoed is Smoed because it's full of kids who can and do handle the pressure and thrive on it. Every kid/family is different, there's nothing wrong with someone not being able to handle that kind of constant pressure or just not wanting to, but there's also nothing wrong with Eddie enforcing it on his team. You have to know what you're getting into when you're trying out for a team that has kids literally uprooting their lives and moving across the country to be on it.

It's more than likely that kids who try out for Smoed and their parents are well aware of Eddie's policy regarding mid-season replacements before anyone makes the team. If you can't handle that kind of pressure, there are many other teams and/or gyms you can tryout for. Smoed is Smoed because it's full of kids who can and do handle the pressure and thrive on it. Every kid/family is different, there's nothing wrong with someone not being able to handle that kind of constant pressure or just not wanting to, but there's also nothing wrong with Eddie enforcing it on his team. You have to know what you're getting into when you're trying out for a team that has kids literally uprooting their lives and moving across the country to be on it.
We've been at two different programs (on worlds teams) and both were like this. If you weren't cutting it, or someone better than you walked through the door, you would be replaced. I've often told parents with dreams of Susie getting on the Level 5 team... It is a whole different ball game!

Back