All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My point is that whatever issues she had with CEA and/or the coaches should have been taken up with them. Whether they were or were not I don't know. But once they cut ties they should have moved on and found a place that better suited them. Problem solved. Publicly trash talking the program on your child's instagram is not a mature or productive way to handle the situation.

And just a tip for you - "words on a post on Instagram" or any social media site can and do cause harm. You should not ever take lightly the things you say. If I were a gym owner considering this child for a team I would absolutely take into consideration the fact that her mother acted like this toward her previous gym.
I know words can cause harm, so didn't really need the tip, but I highly doubt those words did.
And I love CEA just as much as the next person, but if the coaches feel like that was trash talk, I'm sure they can handle it. People have said some extremely nasty things about them in the past 2-3 years. The coaches knew how she felt, so I'm sure it's nothing they hadn't heard before.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Semi-related.

I do not follow the "cheerlebs" very closely as a 30 year old with children, but a lot of the girls I've coached do. I saw several of my former cheerleaders had a lot to say about it on Twitter/instagram.

With that said, it helps to view it like any other sport. For the sake of argument, let's say these kids actually DID move for cheer.

That happens in almost every other sport or activity as you are not married to a team or program and at the end, it really does sometimes come down to where you or your parents feel like you'll grow, get higher-quality coaching, a different coaching style, etc. (This is not to say that Cali/CEA/whoever is not high quality, but you never know how individual athletes or parents feel.)

Ex: Many times in gymnastics, girls move because they are ready to move on to perceived better coaching, facilities, etc. Or they see athletes coming out of XY gym doing better, getting better opportunities, etc. Further example, If your child is a basketball player and you feel like they're not getting (for example) the right college exposure and athlete development at High School or program A, you transfer to program B or High School B where you feel that there may be better opportunities.

Again, I don't really have a dog in this fight, just chiming in from a parental sort of perspective.

There is a world of difference between gymnastics, basketball, baseball... And cheerleading. Training to go to the Olympics or get a full ride to college or work towards a very lucrative professional career is different than moving to cheer. What could someone hope to gain from moving to cheer? Possibly a small college scholarship. But whether we like it or not, cheer is not currently considered a "real sport" so there is no real benefit to this. There is no big future to work towards in cheerleading.

I know people do it, but I will never be able to wrap my head around MOVING to be at a different cheerleading gym.

(and in addition, both girls being discussed moved from very good, top level, worlds winning teams - reigning world champions actually. I doubt they moved for better training.)

I know words can cause harm, so didn't really need the tip, but I highly doubt those words did.
And I love CEA just as much as the next person, but if the coaches feel like that was trash talk, I'm sure they can handle it. People have said some extremely nasty things about them in the past 2-3 years. The coaches knew how she felt, so I'm sure it's nothing they hadn't heard before.

You are missing the point, which is that it's inappropriate for an adult to handle the situation in that way. I'll leave it at that.

If I was a gym owner, I would definitely take that instagram into consideration with this person attempting to come to my team. I don't want that type of petty drama-storm in my life, why would I want it in my gym? My happy place?
Well if she is in fact heading to the home of blue, black and white, with the cheerlebs they have Im sure they are used to drama.

There is a world of difference between gymnastics, basketball, baseball... And cheerleading. Training to go to the Olympics or get a full ride to college or work towards a very lucrative professional career is different than moving to cheer. What could someone hope to gain from moving to cheer? Possibly a small college scholarship. But whether we like it or not, cheer is not currently considered a "real sport" so there is no real benefit to this. There is no big future to work towards in cheerleading.

I know people do it, but I will never be able to wrap my head around MOVING to be at a different cheerleading gym.

(and in addition, both girls being discussed moved from very good, top level, worlds winning teams - reigning world champions actually. I doubt they moved for better training.)

I have difficulty wrapping around it myself (I had a college cheer career so trust me, I know there are very limited scholarships and it's not going to land you on a Wheaties box), but I was just saying that it definitely happens.

And not necessarily better training (both gyms are amazing), but there are people who have moved gyms due to "coaching style differences." Do I agree? No. But it's a reality.

(Ex: When I was coaching HS, I had a girl move two counties over to a school where the coaches were not as "tough" and there was no tumbling requirement. I wasn't aware that a BHS was a difficult tumbling requirement or that removing girls from the team for absences = being "tough" but my style did not work for that particular family. )

True, but whether we like it or not the popularity of cheerlebrities is growing at a very fast rate. My daughters have friends who don't keep up with all star cheer at all, but still know of Gabi Butler, Carly Manning, etc. Along with that kind of popularity comes endorsements which equals money. To me cheer is not about fame and money, but not everyone feels that way..................................................................

really didn't like how either amber or her mom has handled this. compare how jenee announced her leaving compared to amber. amber posts that se is "unbearable", "sucked the passion out of her" and says she will continue to stunt and tumble at other gyms. her mom posts similar things, along with saying that CEA has bullied amber for year. regardless of the reason amber left, this is so not an appropriate way to use social media.

At least the facebook message was a bit more mature in my opinion. Always something.

It will be so strange not seeing the Smoed Twins and seeing Jenee on an allgirl team, but looking at the video it seems like she fits in well. I hope all the best to both Jenee and Amber :)

i dont agree with her mom publicly making an announcement the way she did. but i can understand if someone decides they just cant do it anymore. it happens all the time in any sport. you do it for so long you get tired of it, and dont want to do it anymore... she stuck it out for NCA for her team and coaches, and according to twitter, etc. she knew she was gonna quit a month before hand. but now im even more confused did jenee quit smoed before hand just to be considered without telling anyone the real reason. or did cali know that she was quitting for SE. i dont see the huge deal, i mean we've been watching the smoed series and how easily they bring in athletes from other programs, why is this any different.

I believe that the California Allstars owner (or one of them) Tannaz has given her a TON of support in making this transition happen, including contacting gyms in NC to ensure they would have a place to cheer (take that as you will, but at least she was helping)

Plus I wouldn't put it past Eddie and Orby to tell the Smo's not to get involved in this. OBVIOUSLY they are going to miss Jenee and I don't believe they left Smoed on malicious terms. As can be shown by this thread it is a v. drama filled matter and it is probably a good idea the other Smo kids aren't involved in the public social media.
a lot of smos are posting over social media and their comments are not appropriate either. i realize they're "just teenagers" but they are acting totally inappropriate and its disappointing.

At least the facebook message was a bit more mature in my opinion. Always something.

It will be so strange not seeing the Smoed Twins and seeing Jenee on an allgirl team, but looking at the video it seems like she fits in well. I hope all the best to both Jenee and Amber :)
I have no idea what her name is, but the new flyer on smoed is looking good!

really didn't like how either amber or her mom has handled this. compare how jenee announced her leaving compared to amber. amber posts that se is "unbearable", "sucked the passion out of her" and says she will continue to stunt and tumble at other gyms. her mom posts similar things, along with saying that CEA has bullied amber for year. regardless of the reason amber left, this is so not an appropriate way to use social media.

I know I'm alone in this, but my mama bear is coming out. Not appropriate? Yes, I'll agree. But would I do the exact same thing? Yep - probably worse.

I can only imagine how upsetting it is to feel like your child is basically being abused and bullied by someone who is supposed to uplift them... Only to have it presented to everyone as this Pollyanna situation where you just moved on and conveniently just in time for the cheerleb of the week to take your spot? No. I'd want the truth (or at least my side) out too. When it comes to my kids I have no interest in whether other people that don't even know me think I'm being mature or appropriate. If you bully or hurt my child, my snarky, gossipy Instagram posts will be the least of your worries.

This is not the first ex-cea person I've heard this from. It can't all be sour grapes. Once is probably disgruntled Susie's mom. Twice I'm curious. Three or more people? I'm starting to think there's some truth to it.

Modern twist on how my generation was raised - "If you wouldn't want your grandmother to read about it on the front page of the newspaper, then don't do it." If you don't want people to post things like this about your business on social media... then don't do things like this.

Back