All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is a very typical response when someone says they're being bullied by someone popular or well liked. To say that the "victim" (or accuser) is obviously just "not tough enough." Why do you doubt it? Based on what? That they win worlds? That they have good routines? That you like them? None of that means bullying isn't happening. Why do you think all these moms are saying this? (I'm actually asking that - I can't imagine people would dare go after cea and csp based on a lie. Why wouldn't Amber's mom just leave quietly if this were not happening? And other moms before her?)

I don't know why it is so hard for people to believe that there might be things that go on in that gym that are not OK, but I know that will never change.

Just my thoughts:
1) winning worlds doesn't make you a good person or even a good coach. (just like winning super bowls, NCAA championships, or anything else doesn't)
2) When I'm presented with evidence time and time again that someone is not who people see in their public persona, I believe it.
3) no one else has to believe it, I'm OK standing alone.
4) Again, I think I'm in a minority, but winning worlds is not worth my child's well being.

Just because a few girls out of 100 (or the number of worlds athletes at cea) is not tought enough to go through all her mental games that doesn't mean she bully them. Just like Eddie push smoed to their limit with his condition this is how Courtney push her kids to the limit just being mental with them. Would you call Eddie is bullying kids too? Nope. This is what pushing to the limit looks like. And pushing yourself is what gives you worlds ring (or olympic medal) And if you can't have this presure on your shoulders than don't expect to reach your goals.

I live in North Carolina, so I follow a lot of NC people on twitter obviously. I just got a notification saying "25 people just followed Jenne"(or something like that). Kinda crazy cause I looked and half of them I know were not even cheerleaders. I feel bad for her haha, poor girl. All this drama because of someone quitting and someone moving.

It's ok. It just means you have a different frame of reference than the rest of us. So you can't expect us to not be totally on the game with this. :D

I wonder too- if this is a potential problem when you have a mega-gym. Let's say they're trying to get the mentality of K-ville in at another gym. You're not with the coaches 24/7, and sometimes they might cross a line. You need to address it, but how do they know? If you're there, they're not going to do it. Or if the people aren't used to harder coaching/individualized coaching, it can be perceived as bullying.

Adding: @crazyredhead - I think 'If you can't hit this stunt/throw your tumbling/do the job you need to do to be on this team, I'm taking you out of this sequence/the air', is a reasonable threat. If you were put on a team and you haven't been hitting a skill required for WEEKS/MONTHS, then it's time for a little pressure.
But how much pressure is obviously the problem. Just because x,y and z can handle it doesn't mean w can.

Just because a few girls out of 100 (or the number of worlds athletes at cea) is not tought enough to go through all her mental games that doesn't mean she bully them. Just like Eddie push smoed to their limit with his condition this is how Courtney push her kids to the limit just being mental with them. Would you call Eddie is bullying kids too? Nope. This is what pushing to the limit looks like. And pushing yourself is what gives you worlds ring (or olympic medal) And if you can't have this presure on your shoulders than don't expect to reach your goals.
Sometimes when Ive watched the smoed series I thought Eddie went overboard with the kids I remember it with Travis. We cant judge and base all kids mentality on any one else.

It doesn't matter either way to me because im not involved with either team, but I don't see how you can just quit a team with a little over a month until the season is over. Even if you weren't happy anymore you made a commitment to your teammates and your coaches in the beginning of the season. If I was her mother I would tell her you made a commitment and you have to stick it out until you fulfilled that commitment. What is that teaching your kid? When things get tough you can just quit and everything can be fine? Its not like its the summer and only a couple months into the season. Its the very end of it. Stick it out and then just don't come back the next year.

She was there 6 years. I doubt it was just "when things get tough you can just quit." I'm sure this wasn't the first time things "got tough." I imagine there was a lot that led up to this. I totally agree about commitment and sticking it out, but I can tell people in this thread have a) never truly been bullied, and b) have never truly been so angry at someone/something that you're not really interested in being fair and doing the proper thing.

There are times in life where you have to say, "I choose me." And walk away. And sometimes those times screw other people over. When my daughter quit her team (before competitions started, so yes it was different) she didn't give 2 thoughts about her team. Her answer to me when I asked was "My team? What about them? They haven't said one thing. They all looked down at the floor and worried about their own spot on the team. We weren't a 'team' when all this went on... Why are we suddenly a team now that I want to leave?" (ftr my cp's problem was with 2 teammates, not a coach)

Sometimes your team stops being your team long before you leave. And really, if you're being told every day that you can be replaced within minutes, why would you feel bad about leaving? I'd be like, "what's the problem? Didn't you just scream at me that I can be replaced by this girl sitting here? So replace me. Peace."

Sorry - this hits home with me. And I'm so over everyone acting like being abusive is a coaching style. (not saying csp is abusive - I don't know. I know she has people working for her that are though.)

Just because a few girls out of 100 (or the number of worlds athletes at cea) is not tought enough to go through all her mental games that doesn't mean she bully them.
This sentence says it all to me. :rolleyes:

(ftr I hate the word bully. And I hate how lightly people use it. I think LOTS of people who say they are bullied just don't know what it means. Getting your feelings hurt isn't being bullied. Having a tough coach isn't being bullied. But when it's real, it's real. If and when you see real bullying it's actually astonishing how some people can treat others.)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited by a moderator:
(ftr I hate the word bully. And I hate how lightly people use it. I think LOTS of people who say they are bullied just don't know what it means. Getting your feelings hurt isn't being bullied. Having a tough coach isn't being bullied. But when it's real, it's real. If and when you see real bullying it's actually astonishing how some people can treat others.)

I agree completely with that last statement.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I dobut there's bulling going on at CEA. Courtney is all about mental game and being mentally strong. And she is building your mental strenght without you knowing about it. She pushes them SO hard. She's giving them skills that they are not capable of. But they will be doing it soon. That's her coaching style and if you don't like it and she is to hard for you than you are probably call this bullying. But hey....it's looks like her mental game is winning worlds so I guess it work.

For Jeene I am so excited for her and can't wait to see her wearing teal.
For Amber is this is true about her going to CA. She will look amazing in blue with her new family. Just hope she won't be on BABS but I wouldn't be surprised.

THIS!!! Well stated.....I've been at CEA for 13 years. All 3 of my kids have gone through this program and I will stand behind her and support her until my dying day. I like to think I am a diligent Mom and put the well being of my children above all else. I wouldn't be at a program that bullied my children.....CSP isn't a bully and neither are her staff. Having kids sitting on the side at practice is smart coaching. Case in point the Sunday before NCA. Kid sitting there playing candy crush and we have a base hurt her knee pretty severely. Kid goes in......knows counts and routine because she's been there during practices. 6 day's later kid takes floor with SE at NCA and does a great job! That's smart coaching not attempts at intimidation. Building these kids up mentally is the most challenging part of coaching......unless you know her you don't know that she spends hours reading books by coaches of other youth sports to help her get these kids where they need to be mentally. Ask her...ask her her favorite advice from a Coach K book? Contrary to what the masses would have you believe, this woman goes to the mat for her team's every single day......she's always honing her knowledge of the sport and how to coach more effectively sometimes to the detriment of her personal life. How dare people try and say this woman is a bully??? How dare you. Just shut up......

I think this whole thing has gotten way out of control. Amber obviously had issues with CEA whether or not accurate she had them... Jenee was looking to be placed on a different team other than smoed because she obviously had issues with them. Her mom Tawne Cruise has already stated that they did NOT move to NC they are just finishing off the season there so Jenee and Jaiden can not let their hard work go to waste this season. For the person who mentioned Jenee's weight and being too big for smoed you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about and need to refrain from rude and untrue comments. It seems the timing of both situations worked in favor of Jenee. They literally got on a plane right away when Courtney mentioned they had a spot on SE although I believe Jenee was orginally going to be on Coed Elite that changed when a spot opened on SE. I wish Jenee, Jaiden and Amber the best of luck this season.

But how much pressure is obviously the problem. Just because x,y and z can handle it doesn't mean w can.
I think it's a balance of pressure versus expectations. If you are on a team, it is expected that you have some/all of the skills necessary to be on a team. If you are no longer performing the skills, it is expected that you might lose your spot. Parents always talk about how cheer is a business and if they aren't getting their money's worth they're free to leave, well that goes both ways. If the coach isn't getting the thing they need from you, they will get it somewhere else. When I played elite volleyball, I had to deliver my skills. If I didn't, I wouldn't get playing time. In cheer, that translates to being on said team. I've seen the Jtv videos where CSP gets mad at someone. She is always much nicer to them than some of my coaches ever were.

Who knows? Maybe I've been bullied by them. I've been bullied by kids at school, but that's always been much easier to identify..

Where's the line? Any coaches on the board want to chime in? (Shall we create a new thread?)

This whole thing is just like the recent episodes of Dance Moms! Ironic considering Abby lee Miller was the big hero at their showoffs. Hope all turns out well for the children involved. One thing though, I doubt you've seen what can really happen in a video paid for by CSP

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse so flame away if you must but no matter what you think about bullying, CSP, CEA, Cali, Jenee, Amber... WHATEVER... that mother just made this situation about 100x more public, dramatic and controversial than it would have been otherwise. No matter what reasons you have for leaving a program or how angry you might be about something it is always your responsibility as an adult and most importantly a parent to lead by example. People will always be curious when you're talking about high profile teams, but if Amber or her mom would have made a general statement about CEA no longer being a good fit for them and that they planned to seek out another program for Amber to be a part of, people would have spent some time speculating and that would have been the end of it. Now? I bet that child is receiving lots of unwarranted negativity on social media because of her mom's comment. She is obviously losing friends and her former teammates are feeling the need to speak out about it. Now more kids are involved.

Never once before Amber's mom made a statement did I see a CEA employee or athlete make a negative statement about Amber, or hype up Jenee as a "replacement." I saw things like "We support Amber's decision" and "Things happen for a reason" etc. Regardless of what happened behind closed doors, the gym itself did not try to make it a big ordeal. Now it's turning into a circus and in my opinion no matter how angry/hurt/frustrated you are there is no lesson in that.

Back