All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i love smoed i really do. but are they against finding talent within their own locations. i mean im sure plenty of guys tried out for cali coed, and could have been asked to come try out for smoed. regardless of the location difference.

i dont think theres anything wrong with seeking out the best talent by putting out an ad. perhaps they wants to get the best pool of people, both in california and outside of the state, to choose from. im pretty sure if they had the talent at their own locations they would have picked em up already. smoed isnt the only team looking for boys, so are black op and cali coed (from tweets that ive seen in the past several weeks).

edit: now that i think about it, i think i remember seeing a tweet saying that *all* cali worlds teams were looking for boys, and that would include bangerz as well.

edit 2: just saw a tweet from lady bullets coach, and hes seeking a base/tumbler.

edit 3: theres also a tweet from the aces coach requesting a base.

Last edited:
i dont think theres anything wrong with seeking out the best talent by putting out an ad. perhaps they wants to get the best pool of people, both in california and outside of the state, to choose from. im pretty sure if they had the talent at their own locations they would have picked em up already. smoed isnt the only team looking for boys, so are black op and cali coed (from tweets that ive seen in the past several weeks).

edit: now that i think about it, i think i remember seeing a tweet saying that *all* cali worlds teams were looking for boys, and that would include bangerz as well.

edit 2: just saw a tweet from lady bullets coach, and hes seeking a base/tumbler.

edit 3: theres also a tweet from the aces coach requesting a base.
At some point, if you have THAT many open positions to fill on that many teams this late in the party, you might need to consider team sizes and restructuring. I get that not all of them are probably at the same location, but still. Seems a bit excessive, no?

At some point, if you have THAT many open positions to fill on that many teams this late in the party, you might need to consider team sizes and restructuring. I get that not all of them are probably at the same location, but still. Seems a bit excessive, no?[/QUOTE

I have heard they do some tryouts through videos. It is possible team members were added that decided it wasn't the right fit for them after all, too far away from home, etc. They may be replacing some athletes that left or didn't work out.

At some point, if you have THAT many open positions to fill on that many teams this late in the party, you might need to consider team sizes and restructuring. I get that not all of them are probably at the same location, but still. Seems a bit excessive, no?

petty sure all spots were filled after tryouts (im sure about that when it comes to smoed, they even had a surplus of female bases). i dont think its uncommon for people to leave, become injured or leave for personal reasons before the season starts (one smo girl left due to injuries, not sure about the other and the guy from SOT left for personal reasons. two years ago smoed lost a boy due to age related reasons and he got replaced by robert, last year/this past season a boy left due to a knee injury and got replaced by xavier. so this doesnt seem to be out of the ordinary).

petty sure all spots were filled after tryouts (im sure about that when it comes to smoed, they even had a surplus of female bases). i dont think its uncommon for people to leave, become injured or leave for personal reasons before the season starts (one smo girl left due to injuries, not sure about the other and the guy from SOT left for personal reasons. two years ago smoed lost a boy due to age related reasons and he got replaced by robert, last year/this past season a boy left due to a knee injury and got replaced by xavier. so this doesnt seem to be out of the ordinary).
I'm sure injuries and such can play a factor, but I'm not talking about spaces filling immediately after tryouts- I'm talking now. We're basically at choreography/heading into the start of the season. Is it only noticeable because they're specifically asking for video auditions and not/not just looking from within their own gym? Is this a common problem for all gyms or just because of the way they operate?

I don't know- especially with smoed, who is known for attracting a lot of athletes via video audition, it just seems like this cherry-picking thing is getting stretched to the point of ridiculousness.

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is why they can't take athletes from teams like Snipers and have them crossover? Ya they may not be as great as some of the original kids they lost or some other kid who may submit a video audition, but there would definitely be some fulls or level 5 stunters at the very least that they could use.
I know that when my gym needs to fill a spot we always use kids from our own gym. The talent may not be up to where the original team member was but the replacement is typically a close match or on one level higher/lower. On my S2 team last season we actually lost a flyer before a very important comp. Our coach asked a flyer from the J1 team to crossover for the rest of the season. She picked everything up very quickly and was in for the next comp hitting all the stunts and throwing all the level 2 standing and running tumbling. I feel it's a very attainable goal if you have coaches that know what they're doing. (Not suggesting that Eddie and Orby don't know what they're doing. I'm saying I think they could definitely pull off having a kid from a different Cali team join Smoed and do well).

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is why they can't take athletes from teams like Snipers and have them crossover? Ya they may not be as great as some of the original kids they lost or some other kid who may submit a video audition, but there would definitely be some fulls or level 5 stunters at the very least that they could use.
I know that when my gym needs to fill a spot we always use kids from our own gym. The talent may not be up to where the original team member was but the replacement is typically a close match or on one level higher/lower. On my S2 team last season we actually lost a flyer before a very important comp. Our coach asked a flyer from the J1 team to crossover for the rest of the season. She picked everything up very quickly and was in for the next comp hitting all the stunts and throwing all the level 2 standing and running tumbling. I feel it's a very attainable goal if you have coaches that know what they're doing. (Not suggesting that Eddie and Orby don't know what they're doing. I'm saying I think they could definitely pull off having a kid from a different Cali team join Smoed and do well).
Worked great with Payton from Snipers, I think she looks just as good as the other flyers on the team! Should be able to work with bases from Snipers, since they have really experienced flyers on Smoed. But from watching the series, some people haven't been able to keep up with Smoed's conditioning and mindset, so it might be something like that.

Last edited:
i don't love the public announcements and advertisements to have people tryout via video, but they aren't the only gym who does this so i don't mind too much.

what i don't like it that it's August 28th. the kids who are serious about cheering have already committed to their respective teams and a lot of them have done choreography. if you're going to quit, yes, now is the time to do it since no competitions have happened yet and the release thing hasn't kicked in yet... but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Shoutout to the teams that need new members and post that they must not be cheering/leaving their current gym to fill the spot! All others: side-eyeing you

ehhh... sure they say that, but they aren't going to turn away someone they need who quit a team they already committed to.

remember when you pulled from your R5/J5 or S4 when you needed someone? there isn't a plethora of "strong level 5 bases with standing full and two to double" just hanging out waiting for a call from their dream team like everyone seems to think. train your athletes that show up to your tryouts to be the athletes you need.

ehhh... sure they say that, but they aren't going to turn away someone they need who quit a team they already committed to.

remember when you pulled from your R5/J5 or S4 when you needed someone? there isn't a plethora of "strong level 5 bases with standing full and two to double" just hanging out waiting for a call from their dream team like everyone seems to think. train your athletes that show up to your tryouts to be the athletes you need.
but there are TONS of athletes that may be strong bases, not necessarily with a standing full or two to double, but I don't believe that there are NO kids from snipers or NO kids that tried out that didn't make final cuts to replace the athletes.. I think id be pretty upset if I was in that group of athletes and wasn't even given a chance!

i said the same thing last year and ill say it again this year, but maybe a little different scenario.... they clearly have no problem asking kids from other programs to pick up and leave regardless how far along in the season is, but when someone did it to them they(meaning the athletes) didnt react to it to kindly. considering no competitions have happened yet, im not judging their decision as much.
but if they constantly have problems season after season with kids getting injured or kicking kids off, or kids leaving EVERY season then maybe they should re evaluate how they do things..... yes. clearly their methods do work since they've won worlds the past 3 years, but still.

So it's ok for gyms like CALI to post all over social media and openly recruit athletes from other gyms AND offer scholarships and housing in the middle of the season, but if they kick someone off the team to make room for these new kids that they openly recruited, the kid that gets kicked off needs a release form and if they don't get one can't compete at Worlds. I realize it is currently before the November deadline but I am willing to bet we will continue to see active recruiting after November.
USASF get your ish together. This is pathetic.

i said the same thing last year and ill say it again this year, but maybe a little different scenario.... they clearly have no problem asking kids from other programs to pick up and leave regardless how far along in the season is, but when someone did it to them they(meaning the athletes) didnt react to it to kindly. considering no competitions have happened yet, im not judging their decision as much.
but if they constantly have problems season after season with kids getting injured or kicking kids off, or kids leaving EVERY season then maybe they should re evaluate how they do things..... yes. clearly their methods do work since they've won worlds the past 3 years, but still.

But still what? Clearly they are doing things that win. Is it unethical? Maybe. However, they are not breaking any rules and this is allowing them to win worlds, NCA, and multiple other national titles... multiple times. Kids and their parents want to WIN (wasn't there a recent thread about the majority of people not wanting to give trophies to every team, instead of the winners?). Smoed strives to win first place and that is it. No one forces you to try out. Everyone knows the stipulations going into Smoed. They want the best, ELITE, athletes in the nation to continue to win. Could they do it in house? Again, maybe? But, how do any of you know that they haven't already tried this? It takes 150% of what it takes to be on a normal level 5 team to be on Smoed. It's not made out for everyone.

Back