All-Star Cheersport Transportation Question - Marta To Airport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 17, 2010
It looks like I will have to be at work on Monday morning so I have to depart Cheersport on Sunday. The three latest flights I see depart at 7:20 PM, 8:50 PM or 11:20 PM. For those who are familiar with the MARTA to the ATL airport, what time do you think I would need to leave? I will be traveling without luggage, probably just a backpack since my husband and daughter won't depart until Monday morning by car. My daughter will be on a Sr5 restricted team so I would like to see their second performance, but that may not be possible. If I take the 11:20 PM flight I will not be pulling into my driveway until 2 AM at the earliest and I have to be at work by 7:30 AM. I can't call out because it's the first day of a upgrade training class that is an immediate promotion once the class is finished. So if I miss that day, I will have to wait until the next class which might not be for another 4-6 months. It's my daughter's first time attending Cheersport. I have heard how long lines and traffic can be.

:(

Thanks in advance.

Can't answer your exact question -however - lots of hotels offer shuttle services to the airport... Have you contacted your hotel and asked about options? Also, I think the flat rate for a cab from downtown Atlanta to the airport is about $20-$30 and wil save you a ton of time if the hotel doesn't offer any transportation.

I've always found MARTA to be pretty easy between the GWCC area and the airport. If I remember correctly, it's about 6 stops from Five Points and takes about 20 minutes. Between getting to Five Points, possibly having to wait for your train and navigating the airport, I'd probably leave an hour or so before I wanted to be at my gate just to be on the safe side.

Can't answer your exact question -however - lots of hotels offer shuttle services to the airport... Have you contacted your hotel and asked about options? Also, I think the flat rate for a cab from downtown Atlanta to the airport is about $20-$30 and wil save you a ton of time if the hotel doesn't offer any transportation.

I just looked at the hotel website and it says they do not provide an airport shuttle. I don't mind taking a taxi. I lived overseas where the traffic was horrible and the subway was usually faster depending on traffic. I did look up the MARTA to airport and the travel time is 14 minutes, but then I would still need to get through security and and to my terminal. I am prior military so I am use to always getting places early. Even the standard 3 hours for international flights, 2 hours for domestic flights, I am usually still earlier than that. The waiting until the last minute to depart is not my nature. I am just trying to gauge if I waited until the last minute, what time I would have to depart the venue to make the flight. I know in reality, I do not need to be there 2 hours early when I won't have any baggage and can check-in online.

I've only done this once. If you are going from the GWCC to the airport you are dealing with the Red (North/South) and Blue (East/West) Line. The Blue Line would take you to 5 Points and from there you would get on the Red Line to the airport. The travel time from GWCC to 5 Pts is only about a minute and from 5 Pts to the airport is 15 minutes, however, the wait to get a train can be up to 20 minutes each, after 9:00 PM there are less East/West trains according to MARTA's site. So, ultimately, your ride could take up to an hour prior to 9:00 PM.

MARTA to the Georgia World Congress Center | MARTA Guide
MARTA Station Map | MARTA Guide

As far as, ATL airport, I have flown in and out several times and I have gotten through security and to the gate as quickly as 15 minutes but, usually it takes at least an hour depending on how many security stations they have open and then catching the train to the gate.

I'm sure you've seen this, but here's a Marta map
new_marta_rail_map.jpg

Doesn't look too bad, but again you'd have to look at timing of trains. I think you could make a decision on MARTA or a cab once the Cheersport schedule is released.

I always take Marta to the airport. From GWCC it will be a short ride (15 minutes maybe)...BUT on weekends Marta does not travel as often, so you definitely need to check the schedule and plan to be AT the Atlanta airport at least 1.5 hours early. Even without checking bags the security lines there can be long and getting to your gate can be very time consuming as well!

Marta is a great option...just be prepared for some 'interesting' people who will be riding along with you!!

Uber or Lyft
Worked great last year between airport, hotel, GWCC, shopping and dining.

It looks like I will have to be at work on Monday morning so I have to depart Cheersport on Sunday. The three latest flights I see depart at 7:20 PM, 8:50 PM or 11:20 PM. For those who are familiar with the MARTA to the ATL airport, what time do you think I would need to leave? I will be traveling without luggage, probably just a backpack since my husband and daughter won't depart until Monday morning by car. My daughter will be on a Sr5 restricted team so I would like to see their second performance, but that may not be possible. If I take the 11:20 PM flight I will not be pulling into my driveway until 2 AM at the earliest and I have to be at work by 7:30 AM. I can't call out because it's the first day of a upgrade training class that is an immediate promotion once the class is finished. So if I miss that day, I will have to wait until the next class which might not be for another 4-6 months. It's my daughter's first time attending Cheersport. I have heard how long lines and traffic can be.

:(

Thanks in advance.
I can't speak to the Marta question as we drive to ATL.

However I can tell you a little bit about that division and times from last year. My daughter is on Sr. COed R5. Last year they were large which did not finish until very late. We went first day 2 in our division and we went on around 7:30 or 8. Their awards ceremony was around 11 p.m. We left straight from GWCC and drove home. We left ATL around midnight.

Now if you are Small Coed Sr. R5 or all girl. Their divisions weren't with ours but I seem to remember somewhat similar times. Although Sm I know had way more teams and 2 divisions.

That time of night & traveling by yourself - I'd recommend just Uber'ing or Taxi to the airport - you'll be in better control of your departure time & arrival time at the airport this way.

I can't speak to the Marta question as we drive to ATL.

However I can tell you a little bit about that division and times from last year. My daughter is on Sr. COed R5. Last year they were large which did not finish until very late. We went first day 2 in our division and we went on around 7:30 or 8. Their awards ceremony was around 11 p.m. We left straight from GWCC and drove home. We left ATL around midnight.

Now if you are Small Coed Sr. R5 or all girl. Their divisions weren't with ours but I seem to remember somewhat similar times. Although Sm I know had way more teams and 2 divisions.

Thanks, they are large all girl.

That time of night & traveling by yourself - I'd recommend just Uber'ing or Taxi to the airport - you'll be in better control of your departure time & arrival time at the airport this way.

Thanks. I will use a taxi. I am an insurance agent... I would never use Uber, although some of my co-workers do. ;) Too many of them their personal auto insurance excludes livery and the insurance Uber provides then becomes questionable. Uber is an insurance nightmare still.

Thanks. I will use a taxi. I am an insurance agent... I would never use Uber, although some of my co-workers do. ;) Too many of them their personal auto insurance excludes livery and the insurance Uber provides then becomes questionable. Uber is an insurance nightmare still.
But soooo convenient, lol :)

Take an Uber, and if it's a domestic flight you certainly don't need to be more than an hour early before boarding. I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes in security and I fly out of Reagan National and Logan all the time. With an airport as big as Atlanta's they'll most likely have security streamlined.

Or get TSA PreCheck and just waltz through the line.

Back