High School Coach Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wouldn't pre-cut her from the team. She may be upset about last year and want to turn things around. Have the meeting with her and her parents to get a feel for her attitude. When tryouts come, see how she scores. If she scores well enough to make the team, have a meeting with her again and tell her that none of her behavior last year will be tolerated. Tell her she is making a commitment to this team and needs to make sure she can honor it. Also tell her that if you see one or two instances of bad behavior, she is off the team.

I have taken a returner as a temporary placement. She obviously scored well, but had behavior issues. We spoke with her before placing her back on the team and told her that the summer would be a trial. If she improved her attitude & behavior issues we would permanently put her on the squad. If not she was off at the end of summer. She rose to the challenge and was great, maybe something like this could work out for you too? SparkleSpankies

Are you the variety or jv cheer coach? Is the girl trying out for JV again or varsity? I ask because when I coached HS, I had in my handbook only freshman- jr could do JV. Reason being juniors and especially seniors always get tired of the younger kids and have attitudes like they're better than the others. They feel entitled and just want to wear the uniforms. If she's trying out for varsity, I agree with the idea of the weighted interview and previous coaches recommendation. Maybe you can rig the results but you can sure figure out ways to give bonus points to the others!

I have taken a returner as a temporary placement. She obviously scored well, but had behavior issues. We spoke with her before placing her back on the team and told her that the summer would be a trial. If she improved her attitude & behavior issues we would permanently put her on the squad. If not she was off at the end of summer. She rose to the challenge and was great, maybe something like this could work out for you too? SparkleSpankies

Actually we took this approach last year, she has some MAJOR guts trying out again!! The girls were relieved when she quit and quite honestly, so was my entire staff!

Actually we took this approach last year, she has some MAJOR guts trying out again!! The girls were relieved when she quit and quite honestly, so was my entire staff!
In that case I would find a way to cut her! If she's a detriment to the program and she's unwilling to change, then there's no room for her. I also always look at it as I don't get paid enough to deal with some of the "issues." At the end of the day cheering is a privilege not a right, and to me she clearly hasn't earned it.

I've coached for 8 years and have come across bad apples before. Our policy is that if you quit you cannot try out the next season. Since this isn't the case for you I would let her try out and if she makes the team be hard on her and tell her it won't be easy since she quit the previous season.

I would never cut a girl just based on attitude because although its a pain to deal with you maybe able to nurture her better than another coach and if you can't being hard on her and setting your expectations for her high tends to weed girls like that out. In my experience once a quitter always a quitter.

Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back