All-Star Coaches Conduct

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

crazycheermom

Cheer Parent
Jan 19, 2011
Just a general question regarding your gym's policy on whether coaches should drink on overnight trips. I totally understand coaches are of age and allowed but I also feel like the whole trip is your job. I just don't think I like the idea. I am not talking about one drink with dinner. I am talking about more general drinking just to be drinking. Just wondering if your gym has some set policy.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have never been allowed while coaching school (as a school employee I legally can't) or All Star.

And really I'm 30+, married, and a mom. It doesn't look good for my family to see a newspaper headline read "Hotel burns to the ground: Cheer coach passed out with beer bong in next room!"

Even when I was younger (like recent college grad) and coaching, I still didn't. Heck, I was too tired at the end of the day to do anything!

I used to drink very moderately with a few select parents on occasion when the kids were not around and never with the kids.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

If they aren't with the kids, on their own time and of age I see no reason why they can't do what everyone else is. Heck half the parents get hammered when they are "on the clock" with their kids. They should keep it in check because I expect them to be fully functional when they're back on the clock.

I'm probably biased though. I get the side eye from people if I order a drink with dinner out in the community because I'm a school principal....but that's my job, not my life. And it's unfair to expect that I can't live as a normal, responsible adult just because I work with children.

I see little difference here.

I've had a coach (no longer) who had us come pick up a shirt at her other job (She was not on shift, I assume she just got off shift) and she did have a drink.

I have no problem with it either. I expect professionalism, but that should include allowing the coaches the space to live their own life while at a competition.
I'm fine with it as long as it does not impact their coaching abilities the next day. I do not want to know if they are hungover the next morning and it is a 2 day comp. And I really do not want to see it captured on some form of social media. Because if I can see it, chances are some of the older kids are seeing it as well.

I'm fine with it as long as it does not impact their coaching abilities the next day. I do not want to know if they are hungover the next morning and it is a 2 day comp. And I really do not want to see it captured on some form of social media. Because if I can see it, chances are some of the older kids are seeing it as well.

well, that all falls under being professional ;)

We don't have a policy on it. Admittedly, I'm not a big drinker, though there are competitions when we'll all have drinks together. We average 14 hour days at competition. The second I leave that arena, I'm off duty. I can't possibly be on duty for an entire weekend. 30+ hours for a 2 day competition are more than enough for me. I need (and all coaches need) an outlet for the stress of competition.

I think more of a problem is parent's conduct. I've seen some crazy crazy parents (and i'm not referring to my gym).
they have a lot more free time than us coaches!!
coaches should watch themselves during comp. time, but we are NOT on duty the entire weekend!

To clarify and avoid sounding Puritan:

I do not drink on competition weekends, BUT once I am off the clock, I WOULD like to do something other than sit and look at kids. So I might go to a bar to meet up with some other coaches from other programs, especially ones I do not see all the time.)

I find bigger issues with MOMS drinking than coaches.

Miss Drunky McParent, when I'm "off duty" and ready to leave the arena, I need you to be ready to PARENT.

I have had to take kids back to my hotel room after day 1 WITH ME (after a rather late performance time) because mom left early to go to another hotel bar and I didn't know it (these were Y2 kids, not the "you're free to roam" age group.)

I got her daughter ready for Day 2 myself because I did not see her until after we competed on day 2.

Back