All-Star Coaches Texting Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't have any problems with it. I usually text my coach about privates and practices, but he'll text me with a question about something about the team. Like what time we're having a team party or something. Or he'll run his ideas past me sometimes to see what I think of them.. Just because I've known him forever. I mean... I got him a Christmas present. Haha and he'll text me to congratulate me on school competitions, etc.

I may be the only one but if I were a coach, I don't think I'd have a problem with kids texting me. I think it's kinda cool if a kid feels comfortable enough and likes you enough to text you. Not saying there shouldn't be limits and it should always stay appropriate. It's really varies with each person. Also not saying that you should let so and so from youth/mini/maybe junior text you non stop with random stuff, but maybe you can text the older senior kids.

i text my coaches all the time. a lot about cheer related things but a lot of the time just like i would anyone else i've known for a while. i don't see a problem with it. for team things we have a groupme that the whole team has been added to so if it's something the whole team of more than on person needs to be contacted about there's that but we all also have the numbers of every coach in the gym...or i do anyway. but, yeah i don't see any kind of problem with it unless there's something inappropriate going on. but we're International so maybe it's different being that we're all older. like, idt the younger girls text/ talk to the coaches the way i do.

Texting is one of the easiest ways to communicate with your athletes. Most do not respond to phone calls and communications with parents can be strained. But to ensure no one ever accuses any funny business I have every single text message logged and backed up.

Adding to what I said before, I think this issue could be somewhat sexist. People are probably going to react differently to the genders. They usually find it less creepy if the coach is a girl. IMO

that's true i feel like only the boys text or male "coach" otherwise we all text the two women. unless he texts someone first. like if i have a question and i know the two female coaches may not know about it and i don't wanna text him i just text the other owner (a female). lol.

My parents tell me all the time that because of the internet and texting, my generation doesnt know how to communicate. Honestly I dont completely agree with them, yes were more likely to text something before we make a call but it just means our form of communication has changed. Personally I dont have an issue with coaches texting athletes if its cheer related, honestly when I cheered they were more likely to get an answer if they texted me, then if they called me. I feel like some things you really dont need a phone call to find out, like a change in meeting times at a competition, or finding out what time your privates are at.

In high school my coach used texts to remind us we have practice, ask us where we were and why we were late, to say "good practice", and to communicate with the captains about routine changes and run other ideas past us. It was mostly cheer related conversations. Every once in a while, if we were injured or hurt, she would text us asking us how we were, the update on our injury etc. It was never a "personal" conversation. The team all respected and looked up to her and we felt comfortable talking to her about a lot of different things (her daughters were also on the team so it made her a little more approachable) but we if it wasn't cheer related we talked about it in person. Never texting just to say "Hey whats up?"

My parents tell me all the time that because of the internet and texting, my generation doesnt know how to communicate. Honestly I dont completely agree with them, yes were more likely to text something before we make a call but it just means our form of communication has changed. Personally I dont have an issue with coaches texting athletes if its cheer related, honestly when I cheered they were more likely to get an answer if they texted me, then if they called me. I feel like some things you really dont need a phone call to find out, like a change in meeting times at a competition, or finding out what time your privates are at.

Actually kids today communicate faster and more often than their parents even did. It may not be as much face to face, but the amount of electronic communication you do during the day is probably more than your parents do through work. Kids will be alright.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html

Great video talking about how games make kids smarter... and already kids think faster than their parents.

I think texting is great for purposes where a coach would like to have it saved. Like if a kid will be late to practice, is sick, ect. That way it is easily accessible to the coach if they forget when practice comes around.

All my teammates + me have our coaches numbers, and they have ours, but I only use it for when we have an extra practice or for asking where our coaches are when they are late for practice or to ask them were we should go if we get lost during an out of country trip :). They have ours to ask us why we're late or giving important messages, but they also use facebook for that. :) I think it's okey for cheer related stuff, but I would never text my coaches - What's up?

i know i text my coach all the time, but thats also because i am her assistant coach on the younger teams ;)

I think it's fine if it's cheer related or needing help with something. If they're comfortable enough to talk about a personal trouble with a coach (non sexual problem) than I'd say the coach is doing pretty good as a person.

My lax coach texts us about practice changes and stuff. Even after we get older and we moved to other Universities they still text to see how we're doing and if they can help us at all with anything.

I don't see a problem with texting. I text my daughters coaches.. I mean yes it is cheer related but we talk about whatever needs to be addressed.

Now my cp is 6 so I don't know what she would want to talk to her coaches about but I wouldn't care if she did. I know she is going to miss some of them when we move in march and she is still in love with her tumbling coach from her other gym but I know when we move I'll for sure let her text them about whatever. It's no big deal.

Back