All-Star Coaching Application Questions/advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 3, 2012
I'm applying for a Varsity Cheer Coach position for the first time ever.
I have tons of questions on how to make my application stronger, especially since I've never coached before. I feel like this thread could be beneficial to more than just me considering the amount of knowledgeable coaches / aspiring coaches on the board!

Here are my questions:
1. Will I be considered since I have no coaching experience?

2. I'm applying through a website and it needs me to put down 3 references, none of which can be family members or former employers- and I must have known them for at least 3 years. I know I will be putting down my former cheerleading coach, but should all three references be cheer related? Who that's not cheer related should I include?

These are just my dilemmas right now, but I'm sure I will come up with more, hahah.

Thanks in advance!! :)

1. Depends on the interest in the position. If they get tons of interest from people who have TONS of coaching experience, then typically not. But if they don't get the interest, they may be willing to consider someone with athlete experience but none in actual coaching. I will say that most of the "no coaching experience" girls who apply typically apply for ASSISTANT COACHING positions, rather than head coaching first. But I don't know the school system or the number of applicants it can expect to get. I don't know that I've EVER met a paid head coach with no coaching experience, but every state/school system is different. It's worth a shot.

2. I'd highly suggest getting certified in coaching (whatever your state uses, AACCA, NFHS, etc.) See also: CPR, first aid, etc.

3. Include anyone who knows you in a LEADERSHIP or PROFESSIONAL capacity and can speak to your ability to lead, organize, etc. Ex: Were you Student Council President? Put your advisor down.

1. Depends on the interest in the position. If they get tons of interest from people who have TONS of coaching experience, then typically not. But if they don't get the interest, they may be willing to consider someone with athlete experience but none in actual coaching. I will say that most of the "no coaching experience" girls who apply typically apply for ASSISTANT COACHING positions, rather than head coaching first. But I don't know the school system or the number of applicants it can expect to get. I don't know that I've EVER met a paid head coach with no coaching experience, but every state/school system is different.

2. I'd highly suggest getting certified in coaching (whatever your state uses, AACCA, NFHS, etc.) See also: CPR, first aid, etc.

3. Include anyone who knows you in a LEADERSHIP or PROFESSIONAL capacity and can speak to your ability to lead, organize, etc. Ex: Were you Student Council President? Put your advisor down.
Thank you so much! I definitely appreciate it. :)

Are you CPR and first aid certified? Have you taken any online safety , or concussion awareness courses? How about the online certifications for proactive coaching and philosophy? Can you volunteer with your local AYC or Pop Warner teams during the summer (or the whole season) because that would help you get experience to put on the resume.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

^^^YES.

Take any opportunity you can to work with cheerleaders, even if it's just summer rec/AYC/etc.

More advice: Think of your philosophy of coaching. What do you believe in? What makes a good cheerleader? What does it mean to be a coach? You'll need to be able to articulate that in an interview.

Are you CPR and first aid certified? Have you taken any online safety , or concussion awareness courses? How about the online certifications for proactive coaching and philosophy? Can you volunteer with your local AYC or Pop Warner teams during the summer (or the whole season) because that would help you get experience to put on the resume.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I am CPR & first aid certified! I will definitely look into the other things as well.
^^^YES.

Take any opportunity you can to work with cheerleaders, even if it's just summer rec/AYC/etc.

More advice: Think of your philosophy of coaching. What do you believe in? What makes a good cheerleader? What does it mean to be a coach? You'll need to be able to articulate that in an interview.
Definitely some good things to think about!

Thank you both so much :)

Latest posts

Back