OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I highly doubt that is in our future although former cp would definitely not mind going to school in Atlanta! What is the Hope Scholarship?
If you are a Georgia resident, your children can go to Georgia state schools for free. They have to maintain a certain GPA to qualify but I think it's a 3.0 which is what students usually strive for anyways.

If you are a Georgia resident, your children can go to Georgia state schools for free. They have to maintain a certain GPA to qualify but I think it's a 3.0 which is what students usually strive for anyways.

Is Georgia Tech a Georgia state school? If so, then I guess I should start job hunting in Georgia!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Apparently if your state borders Mississippi than you're eligible for in state tuition. I have a friend that goes to southern miss and she pays in state tuition because she lived in Tennessee and goes there and it borders. Maybe I should start looking at Mississippi schools...
I also found out depending on the college, my hope scholarship may be accepted at some out of state schools, I just have to talk to the counselors. Which is awesome.
COLLEGE STUFF STRESSES ME OUT! My parents haven't really helped me at all. It's kinda Ike "hey apply and I guess well go look at them eventually" and they won't let me go to any cheer clinics or anything. Which is even more stressful because what if I don't like the atmosphere of where I want to cheer? Like I'm so so sostreSSED. :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Ok, I need some advice. I go to school about 5 hours from my family, I can come home basically any weekend I want, and my mom will come to visit whenever I ask, but I'm doing pretty bad in class because it's really hard when I am alone. I have really bad anxiety attacks all the time while I'm there. I can transfer to the school down home and move back for my second year since the school home doesn't offer my major, or I can try to tough it out for the rest of the year. Really the only big issue I have with transferring is leaving my cheer team, I can cheer at home too, but I feel awful leaving them halfway through.

Ok, I need some advice. I go to school about 5 hours from my family, I can come home basically any weekend I want, and my mom will come to visit whenever I ask, but I'm doing pretty bad in class because it's really hard when I am alone. I have really bad anxiety attacks all the time while I'm there. I can transfer to the school down home and move back for my second year since the school home doesn't offer my major, or I can try to tough it out for the rest of the year. Really the only big issue I have with transferring is leaving my cheer team, I can cheer at home too, but I feel awful leaving them halfway through.

My advice would be do what is best for YOU. It's your college time, and it's your future you're creating. If you're uncomfortable where you are and are getting anxiety over it, not doing your potential best then it probably isn't good for you to stay there. Sure I understand you don't want to let your team down, but aren't you letting yourself down by doing that? Just something to think about. In this case, YOU are more important.

There is a similar rule about tuition as discussed above for New England. If an in-state school does not offer your major but there is another one in New England, out of state tuition is discounted.
Just as an example.. and these facts and numbers are 100% made up just as an example: If I lived in Vermont and wanted to go to culinary school but there were no culinary programs in Vermont I could go to a school that offered it in Massachusetts. If the in state tuition for the school is $10,000 and out of state is $20,000 - I could qualify for this program and pay $15,000 to go to school in Massachusetts because this school offered my major and there was not one in Vermont.

There is a similar rule about tuition as discussed above for New England. If an in-state school does not offer your major but there is another one in New England, out of state tuition is discounted.
Just as an example.. and these facts and numbers are 100% made up just as an example: If I lived in Vermont and wanted to go to culinary school but there were no culinary programs in Vermont I could go to a school that offered it in Massachusetts. If the in state tuition for the school is $10,000 and out of state is $20,000 - I could qualify for this program and pay $15,000 to go to school in Massachusetts because this school offered my major and there was not one in Vermont.
The mid-Atlantic ish states (VA, MD, NC, WV, and I think a couple others) have something similar. If your major isn't offered in your home state you pay in-state tuition. This helped me out sooo much in undergrad, I paid like $15,000 less a year.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

All the things listed above is what I'm thankful for with the school I've chosen, Western Carolina University...tuition and fees for full-time undergrad in-state is like 4000, and not only includes my classes, but the fees include my books. Even in I get the nicest dorm, it'll only be about 2000-2500, and meal plan is 1500-2000. Grand total comes out around 8000 a semester. And they're trying to keep the total enrollment very low to keep classes small, so the enrollment just hit 10,000 last spring, and this school's been around for a long time. Small class sizes + small tuition = perfect :)

For Christmas I got a bunch of things for college, like a nice robe, an umbrella that compresses to about the size of a phone, some dorm decorations, and apparently a can of mace is on its way haha. Only one semester left of high school! :eek:

For Christmas I got a bunch of things for college, like a nice robe, an umbrella that compresses to about the size of a phone, some dorm decorations, and apparently a can of mace is on its way haha. Only one semester left of high school! :eek:
Same. About 75% of what I got was for college lol

We recently received exciting news for CP who is a high school senior. She was accepted into a 5-year Physician Assistant program and was awarded a $70,000. Scholarship (over 5 years). She realizes how fortunate she is to have this opportunity, but the seat is at a small university. Ideally she would like to attend a university with 15 to 20 thousand students. Those schools where she applied don't offer a PA program where you can be admitted from high school. Since she has been accepted, I have started to see her struggling internally to figure out what she should do. If she decides on a larger university, she can earn her BS, and then apply to several PA programs for graduate school. If she accepts this offer and is successful, she is set for a lucrative career but will be giving up that bigger college experience she has been looking forward to for years. It's difficult to see her struggling with this decision. Of course we still have a few months before she must decide. We will continue to support her and help her with the pros and cons of each option. If anyone has any experience with a similar situation, I would love to hear different points of view.

Last edited:
We recently received exciting news for CP who is a high school senior. She was accepted into a 5-year Physician Assistant program and was awarded a $70,000. Scholarship (over 5 years). She realizes how fortunate she is to have this opportunity, but the seat is at a small university. Ideally she would like to attend a university with 15 to 20 thousand students. Those schools where she applied don't offer a PA program where you can be admitted from high school. Since she has been accepted, I have started to see her struggling internally to figure out what she should do. If she decides on a larger university, she can earn her BS, and then apply to several PA programs for graduate school. If she accepts this offer and is successful, she is set for a lucrative career but will be giving up that bigger college experience she has been looking forward to for years. It's difficult to see her struggling with this decision. Of course we still have a few months before she must decide. We will continue to support her and help her with the pros and cons of each option. If anyone has any experience with a similar situation, I would love to hear different points of view.
Congrats to her regardless of what she decides! Has she visited the school, sat in on classes, spoken to current students and alumni, or even spent a weekend there? If not I would start there. It's so hard as a HS senior to know what you really want from a program. Honestly, if this is a program that is well respected within the profession of PAs AND they are giving her $ to attend and be finished in a shorter amount of time than to do her BS and then apply to a graduate program, I would highly encourage her to pursue this opportunity. If she can minimize the number of years in school as well as her long term debt, I would try to make her see the bigger picture.

Back