Comebacks After Acl Injuries

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 30, 2012
Hey everyone! I tore my acl meniscus and plc exactly one year ago today (so ironic!) doing a double. I just wanted to hear from some cheerleaders and parents of cheerleaders who have made a comeback from an acl related injury. I have looked EVERYWHERE on the Internet to find statistics about competitive cheerleaders tearing and retearing their ACLs and I have found nothing! I very badly want to return to the sport but my family and I are concerned as to if I might retear everything they already fixed in surgery. Any advice/story you all have is more than helpful so thank you in advance!

Hey everyone! I tore my acl meniscus and plc exactly one year ago today (so ironic!) doing a double. I just wanted to hear from some cheerleaders and parents of cheerleaders who have made a comeback from an acl related injury. I have looked EVERYWHERE on the Internet to find statistics about competitive cheerleaders tearing and retearing their ACLs and I have found nothing! I very badly want to return to the sport but my family and I are concerned as to if I might retear everything they already fixed in surgery. Any advice/story you all have is more than helpful so thank you in advance!

cathaley can probably answer lots of your questions next time she gets on the board.

One of my girls from my gym, who has been an amazing tumbler all her life, tore her acl, friday night, at one of our biggest competitions of the year (Indy). It was also her senior year, and she was trying out for Louisville in a few months. It was very devastating to watch it happen, and to watch her go through all of that. However, she was taking baby steps and about 2 months later, she began tumbling again. She tore it doing a whip double, so she was a pretty advanced level 5 tumbler, but after her inury, she was only doing a VERY slow and careful round off handspring full. She was taking it very easy, since worlds was right around the corner. Its been really hard for her to go through her injury, and just yesterday, she got surgery for it, which went really well! I know she is going to take small steps into fully recovering, maybe that can work for you too. A BIG help, is also support from your family and friends. Hope this helps =)

I had ACL surgery about 6 or 7 months ago and finally have been released to tumble. I tore it doing a full (there was no ACL left) . My knee has sharp pains sometimes after practice. I'm sure if its just bc it's first time back tumbling and all or just the cold weather (I have 2 screws in my knee)

I tore mine a few years back. My advise to you is to take it one day at a time. Your body is different, so while you may have overcome it mentally, you need to listen to what your body is saying...and of course, your doctor. Best of luck.

I agree, most importantly is your doctor's opinion. That being said, it is also very important to be honest with your doctor. I lied after my first surgery because i wanted to be fully cleared sooner and unfortunately, my lies worked. Right after they told me I could stop wearing my brace, I retore my acl along with my mcl and meniscus. I thought I was doing what I could to get back to what I loved, but now I might not ever be able to really cheer again. If your knee feels good, keep going but dont pretend you are okay when you arent yet

Not a cheerleader but a cheer dad. I tore my ACL playing softball last October about two weeks later my daughters coach tore hers doing a tuck. She being 22 and me being 36 she healed quicker than I did. I was out for well over 3 months before I returned to "normal" activity but it still bugs me from time to time. She was tumbling within a year and is still recovering. We both had the cadaver tendon replacement but she being a lot younger her recovery time was a lot quicker.
Do what your doctor says and keep up on your conditioning. If your doc says you're good you're good.
Good luck to you.

A very close cheerleader friend tore her ACL doing a standing tuck. she had surgery and pt and came back to allstars the following year. One month back to cheer and she tore her ACL again!! Another surgery and pt. It was heartbreaking to see:( But I will say she came back this year and is now on a level 2 team and just wants to be back having a good time. No pressure with the tumbling. I really hope she gets back into the swing of things and lets the tumbling go. She is a great cheerleader regardless of her tumbling. Just keep your head up and when your ready to tumble you'll know. If your hesitant than wait...it's better to be safe then sorry. Good luck!

Back