All-Star Competition Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
how do all these teams get such perfect curls?! i know the obvious answer is a curling iron, but my hair has never gotten curls that look that nice from a curling iron!

Have you tried a curling wand instead? We use curlformers for my CP but a lot of the older girls use the wand and swear by it.

Trust me. A wand is so much better than an iron and holds your curls up to 10 times longer. Without hairspray.
I once did my whole head for school with little curls (think Taylor Swift or Emmy Rossum as Christine Daae in Phantom of the Opera) and I got so many compliments from strangers and a few guy friends (since when do guys ever notice that stuff?!)!

I recommend ConAir Infinity Wand (comes in a multitude of colors if you're at the right store) ($30-$40) which I've heard a lot about,
And the one I personally use, the Remington Pearl Wand (it's pink) ($25-$30)

To further testify, I added a picture from that day that I curled my hair for school.
I clipped my hair half up and it was a bit deflated from 13+ hours of wear, but I didn't use hairspray at all and they were still pretty much intact as they were when I first curled them!

(Sorry for the awkward removal of my face)

33f9dp2.jpg

My hair is so soft it would never curl, ever, with an iron. I got a wand for Christmas, I believe mine is Conair (was around $30, with a red handle), and it works great!I would curl it at night, sleep on it, and do a few touch ups in the morning then wear it all day. I feel you just have more control over your hair with the wand.
If you don't want to buy something new, I've seen lots of people just use their regular irons as if they're wands. Some lift the clamp and wrap their hair around the barrel but I've seen others who do it without lifting the clamp.
I think just wrapping it will help it hold better since the heat is hitting more of your hair, if that makes sense?

Also, make sure you let your hair cool completely before you touch it or else it will fall quicker. Use light-medium hold hairspray, using heavy hair spray can cause it to fall on some people too, just depending on your hair I guess. I used to just use freeze spray (I forget the brand?) on my poof and Pantene or Aussie on the rest of my hair. Sorry this was so long!

You can use a regular iron as a wand, but the wand was actually built for wrapping-around purposes so therefore the heat is transferred better and the curls hold way better. Not to mention the shapes of the curls are different!

I have thin hair that never seems to hold a curl, unless professionally done, last time it was curled was prom last year lol. And I am terrible with hair. I can pretty much just straighten it, braid it or put it in a ponytail. Do you think the wand will work on my hair and is easy to get good results for the hair-ly challeneged to use?

I think so! If you take small sections or hold it for a bit longer. A greaaatt tip that has always saved my life is if you really need your curls to spray, spray your hair before you curl and it and hairspray once more after. They don't budge! I think it'd work if you tried that!

I've used the wand and I like it, but what I find works best is the curling iron with the spiral around it. It forms perfect "cheer curls". I hairspray a section of hair and then curl it. When I'm done I spray my whole head, an it lasts all day!

There's a whole thread about this already. I suggest the search bar. There's a lot of good info already posted people probably don't want to repeat. Even a video link to curl formers if I recall correctly.

I will never use anything besides my wand!! I LOVE it! My hair is super thin but there is a lot of hair so it really doesn't hold much curl besides the wand. I don't know what it is but it works! I have had my hair professionally curled for prom and such and the curls will completely fall out about 5 hours after the appointment. But my wand curls don't fall! I have curled my hair one morning wore them all day, put it up in a loose bun at night and was able to wear them again the next day! And I get so many compliments on my hair too!

Back