All-Star Cross Tumbling - A Judge's Perspective?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
We were having a discussion tonight at practice about running tumbling... I'm curious other thoughts, but especially if any judges want to chime in with their opinion.

Do judges want to see:

1) Squad tumbling (all passes from side to side or back to front)
2) A combination of the above with cross passes (corner to corner) as well
3) Doesn't matter as long as there are enough passes with level appropriate difficulty

in previous years i did a team running pass and then cross passes which maxed out scores
but i tried doing a mixture last year, i had a group of 8 people (i had 20 kids total) tumble front to back, other smaller groups and cross passes but then my score sheets said i should join up all my similar passes to make synchro passes

We were having a discussion tonight at practice about running tumbling... I'm curious other thoughts, but especially if any judges want to chime in with their opinion.

Do judges want to see:

1) Squad tumbling (all passes from side to side or back to front)
2) A combination of the above with cross passes (corner to corner) as well
3) Doesn't matter as long as there are enough passes with level appropriate difficulty

1. The degree to which it helps depends on the score sheet. The Worlds score sheet and a few others have a specific score for synchronized tumbling making it very important to have squad tumbling. On other score sheets the advantage of synchronized tumbling is the time saved that can be used to add more skills or slow down the routine, hopefully making it cleaner.

I may not be a judge, but my preference is side to side team cross tumbling. And also I love corner passes. I love watching everyone cross the center of the mat on every other count. :) lol

I would think side tumbling to showcase a standard expected skill level, and have that mixed with corner passes, which showcase members with extraordinary ability, skills or refinment of techniques.

From another perspective, how do you think a coach would best position his/her team to comply with tumbling requirements, showcase his/her best talent and "hide" the members that aren't solid on their skills?

I would think side tumbling to showcase a standard expected skill level, and have that mixed with corner passes, which showcase members with extraordinary ability, skills or refinment of techniques.

From another perspective, how do you think a coach would best position his/her team to comply with tumbling requirements, showcase his/her best talent and "hide" the members that aren't solid on their skills?

Don't hide kids without skills. Don't make kids perform skills they haven't perfected. It isn't smart (some judges keep a close eye out for fakers and will slam you for them) and it isn't safe. If kids don't have a particular set of tumbling skills, have them do something else. Use your creativity.

The best part in all of this is "synchronization" has yet to be defined. Is 2 people synced enough, do you need majority of your team synced (at the same time) or do you need to sync in pairs, triples or quads? Hmm, I guess you'll just have to guess and see what EP wants to award you with that day.

The best part in all of this is "synchronization" has yet to be defined. Is 2 people synced enough, do you need majority of your team synced (at the same time) or do you need to sync in pairs, triples or quads? Hmm, I guess you'll just have to guess and see what EP wants to award you with that day.

Personally, I award a higher synch score the more people do it with massive consideration to the execution of the skill based on how synched/non-janky the skills are. It's a risk/reward thing. Sure, you can have 20 girls do a RO-BHS-Tuck, but if 2/3 are janktastic, theres no point.

Depends on the score sheet too. I'm talking based on the Cheer Canada sheets.

Personally, I award a higher synch score the more people do it with massive consideration to the execution of the skill based on how synched/non-janky the skills are. It's a risk/reward thing. Sure, you can have 20 girls do a RO-BHS-Tuck, but if 2/3 are janktastic, theres no point.

Depends on the score sheet too. I'm talking based on the Cheer Canada sheets.
Yeah but would you reward that higher than half doing front walkover to round off bhs tucks, then the other half doing robhs tucks?

Yeah but would you reward that higher than half doing front walkover to round off bhs tucks, then the other half doing robhs tucks?

Our sheets are broken into running, standing, synch...something else that is escaping me at the moment, I think jumps.

I would reward the difficulty of there being 2 different passses, 1 more difficult than the other under the difficulty section of the running section, and score the synch of each pass on execution in the synch section... is that clear?
The synch portion of the sheet has no difficulty portion, execution only, difficulty is rewarded in a different area of the sheet.

I'm sure this technique will go right out the window when I learn to judge on the Varsity system this fall

So in theory, I could do one big squad pass in two 8cts and be covered on the score sheet? Interesting...

Back